2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Mori Chu »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm
Hated that Finley trade at the time, still do.
We got Jason freaking Kidd in that trade. Great deal.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Problem is, never liked Kidd. Pre or post-fries.

But yes, I get it that it was (an obvious) great deal. Still don't like it though.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I have zero. Interest in bringing in second rate never done nothings like Beverly just to fill a spot... I'd rather let our talent learn or hold out for someone worth spending on

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 am
I have zero. Interest in bringing in second rate never done nothings like Beverly just to fill a spot... I'd rather let our talent learn or hold out for someone worth spending on
That’s where I’m at as well

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

We are not going to playoffs this year, Beverly or no. Look for ways to shed useless salary, give minutes to Melton and Okobo to see if they're potential starters. They were ranked 12 and 16 by Pelton's analytic software.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

My feeling is that if you end up trading a second-round pick and Troy Daniels' expiring contract for Beverly's expiring (which is not guaranteed), it's a no-lose deal. Okobo and Melton are going to need some time to develop, and this would buy a year without making a huge investment. And while I like what Harrison did last year, I don't consider him a prospect for the job long-term.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 am
My feeling is that if you end up trading a second-round pick and Troy Daniels' expiring contract for Beverly's expiring (which is not guaranteed), it's a no-lose deal. Okobo and Melton are going to need some time to develop, and this would buy a year without making a huge investment. And while I like what Harrison did last year, I don't consider him a prospect for the job long-term.
This. Let's give our new coach tools, and let him figure out how to use them. Once he has an idea on what guys are capable of this year, next year, and in 3 years, then we can decide which to keep. But not giving him the tools seems like a bad way to start a training camp.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:05 am
The Bobster wrote:
This. Let's give our new coach tools, and let him figure out how to use them. Once he has an idea on what guys are capable of this year, next year, and in 3 years, then we can decide which to keep. But not giving him the tools seems like a bad way to start a training camp.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
I have zero.
Sorry to hear that.
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Interest in bringing in second rate never done nothings like Beverly just to fill a spot...
You have interest in bringing in a second rate never done nothing?! Periods matter! :P
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I am in this camp. Time to start winning some games and get a winning culture. Our young PGs don't need to be thrown into the fire to see what we have. Let them come along slowly like most young players. It is time to get out of the development only mindset.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I am in this camp. Time to start winning some games and get a winning culture. Our young PGs don't need to be thrown into the fire to see what we have. Let them come along slowly like most young players. It is time to get out of the development only mindset.
I don't think that deal is on the table. The report I heard suggested that 2nd round picks weren't enough.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 am
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I don't think that deal is on the table. The report I heard suggested that 2nd round picks weren't enough.
Agreed, but if you include Daniels too, they can likely use him. And even if they think they can't, they can cut him and save money over PB. I don't think it is worth giving them a 1st round pick, though, considering he is only under contract for this season.

If the ONLY options I have available are:

1) Use any combo of (or even no) players and either our first or MIL pick
2) Go into camp without any more PGs

I choose #2. It isn't worth giving up a #1.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

Agreed, but if you include Daniels too, they can likely use him. And even if they think they can't, they can cut him and save money over PB. I don't think it is worth giving them a 1st round pick, though, considering he is only under contract for this season.

2) Go into camp without any more PGsy

Really, we aren’t in position to make an educated call on this. We have no idea whether Melton and Okobo are ready. The coaches and FO have to make that call based on what they see at camp.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 am
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Really, we aren’t in position to make an educated call on this. We have no idea whether Melton and Okobo are ready. The coaches and FO have to make that call based on what they see at camp.
Well, somebody here needs to go to that open scrimmage and send us a phx-suns scouting report!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:21 am
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Well, somebody here needs to go to that open scrimmage and send us a phx-suns scouting report!
I'll be there. I'm taking my boys up there to watch and get their ids done for the ski passes.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

obviously the coaches know better than we do about what people are ready to handle. But you can't know much without a lot of practice.

And let's say, worse-case, they are not ready to be average NBA PGs. Do you think it is worth giving up a first round pick to get 1 year of PB?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Exactly, you don't give up a 1st for a marginal PG just because your current pg's aren't ready. Not having pg's ready to play should make you interested in trading for one. But those same pg's should have zero bearing on negotiation price.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would strongly oppose giving up 1st-round picks for any non-superstar players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:26 pm
I would strongly oppose giving up 1st-round picks for any non-superstar players.
Seems overly cautious. Maybe your definition of superstar is different but you seem to be way over valuing 1st round picks. In the last couple years we've traded Bledsoe, Markieff, IT, Dragic, Gortat, and Scola for first round picks. None of those guys would I consider superstars. And the closest one, dragic, got us two 1sts. Do you view all those trades as absolute homeruns for McD?