2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by In2ition »

JustWinBaby wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Colangelo didnt exactly light the world on fire in Toronto tough. I actually think his loss is overrated, Jerry was the loss, plain and simple. After Jerry, losing MikeD was the next mistake, those are 2 that really sting. BC/Kerr and so on are replaceable.
BC might not have done a great job in Toronto, I really have no idea either way. However he did get fired, so I expect his performance was poor. Do you really think he deserved to be lowballed by Sarver? Sarver did not fire him but low balled him and he left town. In his last two seasons with the Suns we won 62 and 54 games and the future was bright. All I am saying is that it started a snowball of horrible decisions by Robert Sarver, with no end in sight.

In addition why is McDonough still employed. We probably have the worst roster in the NBA. Facts say that we were the worst team on both offense and defense. We need far more than just one draft pick to turn this crap heap into a winner. Where are the assets that he said he would get? Why is he even allowed to be part of the interview process for a new coach. How many more years does he get?

Virtually every person that Robert Sarver either fired or low balled from the SSOL era has had huge success elsewhere in the NBA.

It is not Colangelo leaving that is the problem. It is the fact that Robert Sarver replaced him and he is still here.
Honestly, it started as soon as Sarver decided to not go for paying Joe Johnson $5 mil more on an extension. And it continued when he started worrying about having money to pay guys in the future. Then it became a thing where lottery picks weren't future basketball assets and players but commodities to pay for non-oncourt expenses.

I'm giving McDonough a pass for now, because I don't think luck has anything to do with his performance. Granted, the 3 pg lineup experiment wasn't a good idea, because he put his faith in guys that eventually didn't have the same vision. Also, he had nearly immediate success that held back the rebuild, trying instead to rebuild on the fly while being mediocre.

The Suns do not have the worst roster in the league. They have the worst frontcourt in the league, and an embarrassing actual basketball floor. The roster has talent, but was put into position to lose by design. It has plenty of assets with future picks, good position picks this year, cap space, no albatross contracts, good young players still on rookie deals, a 20 ppg wing scorer on a really good deal, expiring contracts, one budding young superstar, possibly another, and now a very promising coach.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

A lot of McD's poor performance comes down to one horrible move. If we had the #10 pick in this draft and didn’t have AASE under contract, I’d like our situation a lot better. Take that one horrible move away and the rest of his record is perfectly mediocre. Well, maybe still subpar. But not horrible.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Good points, Cap.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:Former Suns players like him:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1517660/ ... ov-hiring/
I get it, but I really hate "news" articles that are simply retweets.

jonh

Post by jonh »

This one questions the motivations behind the hire:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 575908002/

SDC

Post by SDC »

glad igor got the honor first over ettore.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:This one questions the motivations behind the hire:

I hate editorials disguised as "news" too. Sorry, I swear I am not picking on you.

This was especially stupid:

"But that said, McDonough, who didn’t immediately return a text message seeking comment Wednesday evening, has questions to answer.

Why Kokoskov? Yes, he has terrific experience as an NBA assistant and as a head coach internationally, but so did Jay Triano."

Umm, really you are bitching in an article published at 9:20PM local time that Ryan didn't get back to you with a comment quickly enough to your 'evening' text message?

Then, "sure he has terrific NBA and international coaching experience, but what about Jay?"

Bleh.

SDC

Post by SDC »

What about bigger names? David Fizdale. Mike Budenholzer. Mark Jackson. Steve Clifford. Frank Vogel. Jason Kidd.
fizdale, bud or igor would have been fine choices. surprised newbie greg moore didnt mention the fact that kokoskov used to work for the suns.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 377181001/

Indy

Post by Indy »

The bigger name question was a joke too. Nobody on that list has an above .500 head coaching record. And Clifford is the only one with more total coaching experience. They might have more name recognition with the average nba fan, but c'mon man.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Cap wrote:A lot of McD's poor performance comes down to one horrible move. If we had the #10 pick in this draft and didn’t have AASE under contract, I’d like our situation a lot better. Take that one horrible move away and the rest of his record is perfectly mediocre. Well, maybe still subpar. But not horrible.
He's shot himself in the foot too many times and has shown no feel for the job itself. I don't fault him for swinging for the fences on Aldridge and being left with Tyson. That was a calculated move that didn't work out. But his handling of Morris, Dragic, and Bledsoe were an embarrassment. Don't care what the return was on any of those. Morris submarined a season and cost us a coach and staff. We lost all leverage with Bledsoe because he should've been traded in the summer. We alienated Dragic and were forced to move him. Keeping Watson was a major mistake and the writing was on the wall. He even doubled down in a weak draft to take his guy and Watson's guy, then let Watson prop his own guy up while holding McD's guy back. We've made no progress as a franchise since he's been hired and it's pretty much all due to his moves and decisions. He tried being Danny Ainge by collecting assets for a star, and couldn't get the star. Now he's up against the wall because he needs to keep Booker happy. God knows what he'll do to make short term progress.

And no, I'm not blaming Sarver for those move/decisions.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:

I hate editorials disguised as "news" too. Sorry, I swear I am not picking on you.
No offense taken.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Cap wrote:A lot of McD's poor performance comes down to one horrible move. If we had the #10 pick in this draft and didn’t have AASE under contract, I’d like our situation a lot better. Take that one horrible move away and the rest of his record is perfectly mediocre. Well, maybe still subpar. But not horrible.
He's shot himself in the foot too many times and has shown no feel for the job itself. I don't fault him for swinging for the fences on Aldridge and being left with Tyson. That was a calculated move that didn't work out. But his handling of Morris, Dragic, and Bledsoe were an embarrassment. Don't care what the return was on any of those. Morris submarined a season and cost us a coach and staff. We lost all leverage with Bledsoe because he should've been traded in the summer. We alienated Dragic and were forced to move him. Keeping Watson was a major mistake and the writing was on the wall. He even doubled down in a weak draft to take his guy and Watson's guy, then let Watson prop his own guy up while holding McD's guy back. We've made no progress as a franchise since he's been hired and it's pretty much all due to his moves and decisions. He tried being Danny Ainge by collecting assets for a star, and couldn't get the star. Now he's up against the wall because he needs to keep Booker happy. God knows what he'll do to make short term progress.

Honest question, Shel: Why not let Sarver share the blame in those moves? I feel like every article that comes out indicates Sarver's involvement.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Indy wrote:

No offense taken.
well you should have

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Honest question, Shel: Why not let Sarver share the blame in those moves? I feel like every article that comes out indicates Sarver's involvement.
Unless there's evidence that Sarver dictated all of those moves to McD and he's just executing Sarver's plan, then the buck stops at McD. But I don't think Sarver put the plan together for Aldridge, I don't think Sarver made the pitch to IT and put 3 starting level PGs on the roster, I don't think Sarver told McD to hang onto Morris for the entire season when he clearly didn't want to be here.....catch my drift?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Unless there's evidence that Sarver dictated all of those moves to McD and he's just executing Sarver's plan, then the buck stops at McD. But I don't think Sarver put the plan together for Aldridge, I don't think Sarver made the pitch to IT and put 3 starting level PGs on the roster, I don't think Sarver told McD to hang onto Morris for the entire season when he clearly didn't want to be here.....catch my drift?
I agree with this. He may very well stick his nose into things and limit the flexibility of what Ryan can do (and probably undermine his authority at times), but I don't think he said "Let's run 3 PGs!" or "Don't trade Morris until his value plummets!"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The handling of the Three-PGs situation was abysmal. And the trade of the Laker pick for B*****n K****t is unforgivable.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He sounds like a bitter lover of Triano.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
Indy wrote:

No offense taken.
well you should have
Don't shoot the messenger!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Greg Moore is a horrible writer