2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Mori Chu »

Poor guy. Man, what is in the water in Philly? Every player they draft shatters like glass.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm
Poor guy. Man, what is in the water in Philly? Every player they draft shatters like glass.
I think they attacked his foot with a hammer. It’s part of The Process.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:02 am
I would also settle for a video of Josh Jackson taking a million jumpers a day with a shooting coach.
On Jackson’s insta story, it showed he has been on vacation in Europe since summer league ended.

It sucks to see that he may not be putting in much work this summer to improve his body and his frame while there are guys like Jayson Tatum who had better rookie season than JJ and yet is still putting in all kinds of work in the gym with various trainers and legends like Kobe Bryant.
It's a long offseason. There is plenty of time for him to take a vacation and then put in some quality time in the gym.
Agreed. Ridiculous to criticize Jackson for taking a vacation. No one seems to be questioning Devin Booker travelling through Greece right now
Because Booker put in time working on his craft with some of the best trainers in the nation and Team USA before going to Greece.

Oh and the tiny fact of Booker being 20x the player that Jackson is ;)

Pretty sure Booker said in an interview at the beginning of his 2nd season during media day that he spent all summer working on his game so he didn’t get time to actually do any vacations as well. I could try and find it later on my laptop for the exact quote.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Cap wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:43 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:53 am
I just really need some Suns news. We’re definitely in the dead zone of the offseason. This is the worst time
Of year in sports, all we have is baseball (snoozefest until the playoffs)
There’s also BattleBots. And we’re about to get a new Robot Wars series premiering this week; I hope that’s good too.

I like that BattleBots as well and am looking forward to Robot Wars. We also have the PGA starting on Thursday and the Cardinals first pre season game and should see Josh Rosen. Not horrible.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is the time of year when I wish I could get myself to like baseball. But I really can't. It's not a sport that I find entertaining, not even a World Series or other big game. Oh well! A short break from sports every year can be refreshing, and the Suns are back for training camp before we know it.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh dear lookout
Right out the gate from First Game of the season my .net Family might be tempted to lose their minds sigh lol :oops:

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/1027252586427035649

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton vs Doncic... Actually more like Ayton vs Jordan and Jackson vs Doncic, but should be a fun game.

I'm not sure we made the right pick, but I'm excited. I hope Jackson gives Doncic fits and the new DeAndre schools the old DeAndre. And of course, Booker brings us home!

For the first time in a few years I will 100% be rooting for wins this year. I'm pretty excited... It's been rough quietly hoping we lose games the last couple years

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:51 am
Ayton vs Doncic... Actually more like Ayton vs Jordan and Jackson vs Doncic, but should be a fun game.

I'm not sure we made the right pick, but I'm excited. I hope Jackson gives Doncic fits and the new DeAndre schools the old DeAndre. And of course, Booker brings us home!
I haven't even given it any thought yet, just posted it but now you mentioned those matchups. Ayton gonna surely need to "have that motor" some of us have worried about unless old DeAndre isn't gonna be a fun matchup

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:

For the first time in a few years I will 100% be rooting for wins this year. I'm pretty excited... It's been rough quietly hoping we lose games the last couple years
It'll be interesting to see whether people are still rooting for wins later in the season. I wonder whether we'll be south of .500 by the All-Star break and will want to lose a few games to jump our draft pick up a bit.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I won’t be rooting for losses this year unless we really, really suck and are again in contention for the top pick after the all star break

Split T

Post by Split T »

We'll most likely be south of .500, still I think winning as many games as possible is more important than losing a few games to bump our draft spot a few places.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:37 pm
We'll most likely be south of .500, still I think winning as many games as possible is more important than losing a few games to bump our draft spot a few places.
I agree. If tanking means getting the 6th pick instead of the 12th, I am not on board. I am really only interested if we’re in the stretch run and we find ourselves among the teams competing for the first pick. That would be really disappointing if it is indeed where we find ourselves , because barring injury I am fully expecting a 10 win improvement over last year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:15 pm
Split T wrote:
I agree. If tanking means getting the 6th pick instead of the 12th, I am not on board. I am really only interested if we’re in the stretch run and we find ourselves among the teams competing for the first pick. That would be really disappointing if it is indeed where we find ourselves , because barring injury I am fully expecting a 10 win improvement over last year.
Minimum.
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:
Mavs are reportedly planning to start Barnes at the 3 and Doncic at the 4 so it may actually be Ariza vs Doncic.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am
Cap wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:43 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:53 am
I just really need some Suns news. We’re definitely in the dead zone of the offseason. This is the worst time
Of year in sports, all we have is baseball (snoozefest until the playoffs)
There’s also BattleBots. And we’re about to get a new Robot Wars series premiering this week; I hope that’s good too.

I like that BattleBots as well and am looking forward to Robot Wars. We also have the PGA starting on Thursday and the Cardinals first pre season game and should see Josh Rosen. Not horrible.
What did you think of the Desperado Tournament? I like Hutchinson and Lockjaw, but I don’t see what they’re going to do against a 1 seed like Tombstone or HUGE.

Split T

Post by Split T »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Mavs are reportedly planning to start Barnes at the 3 and Doncic at the 4 so it may actually be Ariza vs Doncic.
Positions don't really matter, Barnes/Doncic and Jackson/Ariza will both be completely interchangeable

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:15 pm
Split T wrote:
With the lottery reform, tanking isn't even worth it like it used to be. I won't cheer for a loss at any point of the season anymore, as it was seriously soul crushing and made me sick. I want to see the Suns compete each and every night putting a scare into the contenders, stealing some games they shouldn't, sneaking up on teams, surprising the league and whooping up on the inferior teams into a playoff birth.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 pm
With the lottery reform, tanking isn't even worth it like it used to be. I won't cheer for a loss at any point of the season anymore, as it was seriously soul crushing and made me sick. I want to see the Suns compete each and every night putting a scare into the contenders, stealing some games they shouldn't, sneaking up on teams, surprising the league and whooping up on the inferior teams into a playoff birth.
Am I misreading you? You say that tanking isn't worth it. But we just tanked and got the #1 pick. Didn't tanking help us achieve that? Or have I misunderstood what you meant?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:58 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 pm
Am I misreading you? You say that tanking isn't worth it. But we just tanked and got the #1 pick. Didn't tanking help us achieve that? Or have I misunderstood what you meant?
one of the others would give the specific numbers but In2ition is referring to the changes in the draft lottery for the odds. probability of landing the #1 pick is suppose to be more even for the lower teams so having the worst record isn't "suppose" to be as appealing.....

Indy

Post by Indy »

The 'top' 3 still have a 14% chance of getting #1. But it is more flat than before.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds