Suns hire Igor Kokoskov as new head coach.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Suns hire Igor Kokoskov as new head coach.

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:A definitive explanation of how to pronounce Igor Kokoskov’s name:

http://arizonasports.com/story/1528533/ ... skov-name/

After listening to Igor himself pronounce it, I still don't think they have it exactly right. Yes, we were right about the "sh" sound for the second sylable but for the first sylable, I'm hearing ko as in coco.

So not kuh-KOSH-kov but koe-KOSH-kov (as in hoe). Cap, would you agree?
That’s how it sounds to my non-expert ear that had already been primed by your post, so take it with salt, but yeah.

Of course, the man also pronounces Duke University as “University of Duke,” so what does he know?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope his English isn't an issue. Those quotes, they really have to clean them up to make them readable. I would probably be fine talking to a person with that quality of English, but I bet some of the players wouldn't understand him well.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I hope his English isn't an issue. Those quotes, they really have to clean them up to make them readable. I would probably be fine talking to a person with that quality of English, but I bet some of the players wouldn't understand him well.
Did you listen to the press conference or his interview on Doug & Wolf? I had no trouble understanding him at all. I think he pauses a little more frequently than I'd like but we need to remember that this is his second language. So I'll give him a pass on that.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/996205329594499072

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't get you guys that think his English might be an issue. Have you listened to him speak? He drops a few articles here and there but other than that he has perfectly fine English.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:I don't get you guys that think his English might be an issue. Have you listened to him speak? He drops a few articles here and there but other than that he has perfectly fine English.
Agree. I'm pretty bad at hearing things when people speak a lot of times and had no problems understanding his interview today on sports radio.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I hope his English isn't an issue. Those quotes, they really have to clean them up to make them readable. I would probably be fine talking to a person with that quality of English, but I bet some of the players wouldn't understand him well.
Just the opposite. Most players grow up speaking one dialect of English at home, a very different one at school, maybe a third for sports, and maybe even a fourth dialect at church. They'll have no problem with a slight accent.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Just the opposite. Most players grow up speaking one dialect of English at home, a very different one at school, maybe a third for sports, and maybe even a fourth dialect at church. They'll have no problem with a slight accent.
That was a problem for me growing up, mostly because the school dialect featured a lot of swearing that I couldn’t help bringing home with me, and it didn’t go over very well at home.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Yeah I think fans can understand him well and have the patience to do so but these rich self entitled young athletes may not feel the same way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Yeah I think fans can understand him well and have the patience to do so but these rich self entitled young athletes may not feel the same way.
Come on, man. Seriously?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
That was a problem for me growing up, mostly because the school dialect featured a lot of swearing that I couldn’t help bringing home with me, and it didn’t go over very well at home.
:P Reminds me of Russell Peters.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Come on, man. Seriously?
That escalated quickly.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Come on, man. Seriously?
You don’t agree? I don’t blame them for being like that, if I had a lot of money and popularity at such a young age I may be the same way as well.

Didn’t mean it as a negative as much a circumstance.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

To clarify, I'm not saying that his English is actually problematically bad. A smart person should totally be able to understand him. I just meant that I hope people don't give him crap about it and that they don't act like it's a barrier. I have seen people who bristle at even the slightest accent or slightest occurrence of "ESL-isms."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Come on, man. Seriously?
You don’t agree? I don’t blame them for being like that, if I had a lot of money and popularity at such a young age I may be the same way as well.

No, I really don't. Sure there are people in this world like that but I don't believe that the majority of NBA players are like that. Yeah, a lot of them do have a lot of money at a young age but I've always believed that money magnifies your real personality. Maybe I'm biased but I'd like to think most of the Suns players aren't like that.
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Come on, man. Seriously?

No, I really don't. Sure there are people in this world like that but I don't believe that the majority of NBA players are like that. Yeah, a lot of them do have a lot of money at a young age but I've always believed that money magnifies your real personality. Maybe I'm biased but I'd like to think most of the Suns players aren't like that.
That’s fine I can respect that opinion. I don’t see it the same way. Of course there are people who I’m sure are exceptions to it so I’m not saying all athletes are like that.

Pips

Post by Pips »

Superbone wrote:After listening to Igor himself pronounce it, I still don't think they have it exactly right. Yes, we were right about the "sh" sound for the second sylable but for the first sylable, I'm hearing ko as in coco.

So not kuh-KOSH-kov but koe-KOSH-kov (as in hoe).
Ko-kosh-kov.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Pips wrote:
Superbone wrote:After listening to Igor himself pronounce it, I still don't think they have it exactly right. Yes, we were right about the "sh" sound for the second sylable but for the first sylable, I'm hearing ko as in coco.

So not kuh-KOSH-kov but koe-KOSH-kov (as in hoe).
Ko-kosh-kov.
That’s what I’m saying. Just trying to convey the sound of the first syllable as “ko” by itself does not.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:To clarify, I'm not saying that his English is actually problematically bad. A smart person should totally be able to understand him. I just meant that I hope people don't give him crap about it and that they don't act like it's a barrier. I have seen people who bristle at even the slightest accent or slightest occurrence of "ESL-isms."
Where do you hang out?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:To clarify, I'm not saying that his English is actually problematically bad. A smart person should totally be able to understand him. I just meant that I hope people don't give him crap about it and that they don't act like it's a barrier. I have seen people who bristle at even the slightest accent or slightest occurrence of "ESL-isms."
Those kind of people are assholes at their best, and racists in their daily life. Their opinions don't matter.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.