Suns hire Igor Kokoskov as new head coach.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns hire Igor Kokoskov as new head coach.

Post by INFORMER »

JustWinBaby wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Apparently Fizdale turned down a 4yr offer from the Suns before we hired Koko. Source: internet
I am glad he turned us down. Highly suspect IMO, I was worried that we might hire him. I like the choice of Koko.
I hate that news. Hiring Igor was a sign for me that maybe the front office was making better decisions; to know that we only ended up with Igor because Fizdale turned them down is disheartening.

Fizdale would have been a poor decision, IMO.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Apparently Fizdale turned down a 4yr offer from the Suns before we hired Koko. Source: internet
I am glad he turned us down. Highly suspect IMO, I was worried that we might hire him. I like the choice of Koko.
I hate that news. Hiring Igor was a sign for me that maybe the front office was making better decisions; to know that we only ended up with Igor because Fizdale turned them down is disheartening.

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/992858468217376768

👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

jonh

Post by jonh »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

Pretty sure this is about as accurate as when I told my friends in High School that Jessica didn't dump me--it was a mutual decision.

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:

Pretty sure this is about as accurate as when I told my friends in High School that Jessica didn't dump me--it was a mutual decision.
If the reports are essentially true but get some minor detail wrong, McD could easily call them “inaccurate” and tell himself he’s not lying. Saying they’re inaccurate while refusing to say how they’re inaccurate is a pretty good sign of that.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Thats what I'm thinking. The lack of specificity in the denial make it easy to appear to save face, without making the issue a bigger deal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"It was NOT a 4-year deal! It was a 4-*season* deal."

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I’m thinking it’s probably something like they talked generally about a 4 year deal but didn’t formally table an offer. Agree it’s somewhat disheartening news, if true. I’d be happier if MCD was a bit stronger in his denial.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

"It was a three-year deal with a optional fourth year."

It could mean anything.

Still, I don't think missing out on Fizdale is that big of a deal. Missing out on Budenholzer is a much bigger deal.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

The Bobster wrote:Still, I don't think missing out on Fizdale is that big of a deal. Missing out on Budenholzer is a much bigger deal.
Word.

Igor wasn't my top choice but we could have done worse (Kidd), now on to the draft lottery.
#SarverOut

carey

Post by carey »

I'm still much more inclined to believe Fizdale gave his terms to Sarver and when he tried to counter with his own 4-year deal Fiz said no.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let's be happy the way it worked out and move on.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:Let's be happy the way it worked out and move on.
I will, but I have to say it's frustrating to have to sit and read constant rehashing of the Dragic-Knight-IT stuff or the Joe Johnson stuff or a dozen other things that's been beat to death on here yet I can't spend 2 minutes hypothesizing about something that is currently in the news and therefore actually relevant.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:Let's be happy the way it worked out and move on.
I will, but I have to say it's frustrating to have to sit and read constant rehashing of the Dragic-Knight-IT stuff or the Joe Johnson stuff or a dozen other things that's been beat to death on here yet I can't spend 2 minutes hypothesizing about something that is currently in the news and therefore actually relevant.
Nobody said you can't. I'm just giving my opinion as well.
"Be Legendary."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Igor was their 3rd choice out of a middle of the road pool of candidates. Sure, I am happy that the Suns appear to not have fucked up their choice of the "available" candidates; but there is going to have to be a lot of luck involved for this thing to really work out and luck isn't something the Suns have had an abundance of for the past 50 years.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Great article on Kokoskov:

https://www.sportifico.com/profeed/578- ... hievement/
...a perfect coach doesn’t exist, there are only coaches who are a perfect fit for certain teams and that is what general managers know best – whatever the team profile is, that’s the kind of coach they need. If it’s a young team, they need someone who is going to insist on work and discipline, but if it’s a team like the Golden State Warriors of today, all they need is someone who can focus them and keep them as relaxed as possible because that’s how they play best.

In line with this, I would stress that there is no right way to play basketball.You often hear the term “modern basketball,” but that’s actually winning basketball – who ever wins dictates the trend. I always go back to the Detroit Pistons and the 2004 championship we won, and we didn’t play that “modern basketball” style, quick tempo, up and down the court. We dictated the trend then, and now the Warriors are dictating it as champions.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:Great article on Kokoskov:

...a perfect coach doesn’t exist, there are only coaches who are a perfect fit for certain teams and that is what general managers know best – whatever the team profile is, that’s the kind of coach they need. If it’s a young team, they need someone who is going to insist on work and discipline, but if it’s a team like the Golden State Warriors of today, all they need is someone who can focus them and keep them as relaxed as possible because that’s how they play best.

In line with this, I would stress that there is no right way to play basketball.You often hear the term “modern basketball,” but that’s actually winning basketball – who ever wins dictates the trend. I always go back to the Detroit Pistons and the 2004 championship we won, and we didn’t play that “modern basketball” style, quick tempo, up and down the court. We dictated the trend then, and now the Warriors are dictating it as champions.
He says a lot of the same things Red Auerbach said.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:Great article on Kokoskov:

He says a lot of the same things Red Auerbach said.
Who just happens to be one of the all-time greats.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

But has he met John Wooden?

sose

Post by sose »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
sose wrote:Good hire. Still want Ayton. And Luka. I am greedy.
It's the Godfather!! Sup Sose! Great to see you. If you only got one of Ayton or Doncic, do you have a favorite? Right now I'm leaning Doncic, especially with the Coach Kaka hire. But I could go either way.
It is easier to find shooters than quality big men. It's been a lifetime since we have had a true center. You can't teach size. So that part of me says Ayton.

But then you look at GSW and see a team that uses spacing, shooting, tempo.. Not a dominant center. A Suns wet dream based on scoring. So that part of my says Doncic.

I'll start with just getting the #1 pick for once and have our choice. Once we figure out where we're drafting, I'll start deciding who I really want more.

Indy

Post by Indy »

sose wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
sose wrote:Good hire. Still want Ayton. And Luka. I am greedy.
It's the Godfather!! Sup Sose! Great to see you. If you only got one of Ayton or Doncic, do you have a favorite? Right now I'm leaning Doncic, especially with the Coach Kaka hire. But I could go either way.
It is easier to find shooters than quality big men. It's been a lifetime since we have had a true center. You can't teach size. So that part of me says Ayton.

But then you look at GSW and see a team that uses spacing, shooting, tempo.. Not a dominant center. A Suns wet dream based on scoring. So that part of my says Doncic.

I'll start with just getting the #1 pick for once and have our choice. Once we figure out where we're drafting, I'll start deciding who I really want more.
So then you should decide who is your 3rd or 4th choice.