2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:None of those guys have all 3. I think Ayton is the most athletic of that group. My point is that he'll still be elite when it comes to those traits.
What does he have that those guys do not have in your opinion?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think arguing over who is better, Americans or Euros is silly. People are people. Practice makes perfect.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is 7'1 260 with a 7'5 wingspan and a 40 plus inch vertical.
Capela is 6'11 220 with a 7'4 wingspan and while athletic, I think Ayton is a step above.
Embiid is 7'1 250 with a 7'6 wingspan, so he has the size, but again, I think Ayton is more athletic.
KAT is 7'0 235 with a 7'3 winspan
Dwight was measured at 6'10 240 and a 7'4 wingspan. In his prime he was as athletic as Ayton, but his prime is gone.

Basically, Ayton is a little bigger than all, except Embiid, and I think a little more explosive as an athlete than all. Admittedly, this is nitpicking a bit as functionally he's not going to be overpowering or outjumping Embiid, but he's in that elite of the elite tier.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:Ayton is 7'1 260 with a 7'5 wingspan and a 40 plus inch vertical.
Capela is 6'11 220 with a 7'4 wingspan and while athletic, I think Ayton is a step above.
Embiid is 7'1 250 with a 7'6 wingspan, so he has the size, but again, I think Ayton is more athletic.
Dwight was measured at 6'10 240 and a 7'4 wingspan. In his prime he was as athletic as Ayton, but his prime is gone.

Basically, Ayton is a little bigger than all, except Embiid, and I think a little more explosive as an athlete than all. Admittedly, this is nitpicking a bit as functionally he's not going to be overpowering or outjumping Embiid, but he's in that elite of the elite tier.
I think his vertical is higher than Embiid's or KAT's, but they're both more nimble and coordinated. Ayton seems a little bit stiffer in his movements.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think it's unfair to compare Ayton to those guys after they've all been in the league for 2 or more years. We have to go back and look at them when they were college freshman.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I think it's unfair to compare Ayton to those guys after they've all been in the league for 2 or more years. We have to go back and look at them when they were college freshman.
Most of those were their pre draft measurements, at least as far as height and wingspan.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I think it's unfair to compare Ayton to those guys after they've all been in the league for 2 or more years. We have to go back and look at them when they were college freshman.
Most of those were their pre draft measurements, at least as far as height and wingspan.
My comment was in response to the comparisons of athleticism and skill.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:I think arguing over who is better, Americans or Euros is silly.
I don’t think that was the argument. That argument comes up maybe once a year with the Rising Stars Challenge.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The question you can ask yourself about Doncic is: Would he be impressive to you if he had the same numbers as an NCAA player? If yes, then what do you think is the level of competition in the Euroleague exactly? Do you realize that it's a pro league that is *more* challenging than the NCAAs?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

UglyTruth wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Also, I can't believe people still believe that "gambling on a Euro" is a thing. That is some pretty regressive s*** right there.
Sorry. Darko and Zarko have left a bad taste in my mouth.
If you’re gonna play that game, what kind of taste did Greg Oden and Hasheem Thabeet leave in your mouth?

Sure Oden had injury issues which Ayton doesn’t yet but they have very similar builds and Ayton could start to develop bad knees and such as well.
What? Don't you put that juju on Ayton.

Have you heard he has one leg 2 inches shorter than the other?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:

I think his vertical is higher than Embiid's or KAT's, but they're both more nimble and coordinated. Ayton seems a little bit stiffer in his movements.
I think y'all forgot how dominant athletically Dwight was... He was easily a cut above all these guys in that department, and he played that way too, Ayton might measure better in a combine setting, but he doesn't play as athletic as he tests.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The first three numbers drawn were, in order, 9, 12 and 6. High numbers put more teams in play. In general, the teams with the best lottery odds -- Phoenix and Memphis -- have most of the four-number combinations with 1s and 2s. In that moment before the drawing of the fourth ball, a bunch of teams held combinations featuring 6, 9, and 12 -- including Orlando, Cleveland (via Brooklyn), and Sacramento. I don't say this facetiously: The tension in those 10 seconds was very, very real. Out popped a "1," and the Suns had their first No. 1 pick in history -- a massive moment for a rebuilding franchise that hasn't yet derived much from three recent top-eight picks (Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss, Alex Len).

The next two four-number combinations also belonged to Phoenix; the league scrapped those and drew again. "I don't know if I have any luck left," said Jim Pitman, the chief financial officer of the Suns (and GM of the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury). He has worked for the Suns since 1992 but never before been tapped for the lottery backroom. Why now? Pitman has won prize money (in the name of Phoenix Suns Charities) several years in a row in a closest-to-the-pin contest held as part of the Phoenix Open. Penny Sarver, wife of Robert Sarver, the Suns owner, considers this golf success proof that Pitman is lucky, he said. He got the job.

Pitman brought two good-luck charms: an autographed photo of Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi, both of whom the Mercury selected No. 1, and a gold medal Griner won in the Russian professional league last winter.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Pitman must've also worn his lucky cargo pants..?

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I think y'all forgot how dominant athletically Dwight was... He was easily a cut above all these guys in that department, and he played that way too, Ayton might measure better in a combine setting, but he doesn't play as athletic as he tests.

I'm not forgetting, I'm just talking about the league right now and Dwight is not that athlete anymore.

Furlanfufi

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by Furlanfufi »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The question you can ask yourself about Doncic is: Would he be impressive to you if he had the same numbers as an NCAA player? If yes, then what do you think is the level of competition in the Euroleague exactly? Do you realize that it's a pro league that is *more* challenging than the NCAAs?
Not only that, you can add easily 30% more assists if he played in a league that rewards them like in the US.
He's in the center stage of the 2nd best pro league in the world, on Real Madrid. That club is nothing but legendary no matter which sport. The pressure of playing on that club is higher than playing in half of the nba teams.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: I think y'all forgot how dominant athletically Dwight was... He was easily a cut above all these guys in that department, and he played that way too, Ayton might measure better in a combine setting, but he doesn't play as athletic as he tests.
Yep.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by O_Gardino »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:The question you can ask yourself about Doncic is: Would he be impressive to you if he had the same numbers as an NCAA player? If yes, then what do you think is the level of competition in the Euroleague exactly? Do you realize that it's a pro league that is *more* challenging than the NCAAs?
Not only that, you can add easily 30% more assists if he played in a league that rewards them like in the US.
He's in the center stage of the 2nd best pro league in the world, on Real Madrid. That club is nothing but legendary no matter which sport. The pressure of playing on that club is higher than playing in half of the nba teams.
Very true, guys. I think there is some confusion about what his stats actually are, so here's a link.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/eu ... cic-1.html

Basically, he's playing 25 minutes, putting up 14/5/5 (ish) with a steal and half a block, and shooting efficiently.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Honestly, I love them both. They both have such high ceilings, and I think neither one of them are likely to be busts barring any sort of injury. And they both fill such gaping needs on our team. I'll be really excited for either of them. I think if we draft Doncic, we make a hard play for Capela. If we go with Ayton, I think maybe we could try and swing a trade for a player like TJ McConnell and make a play for Cousins? I think Ayton and Cousins would compliment each other really well.

In my dream world, Doncic's camp leaks that he won't come over for any team but Phoenix and Igor, so we draft Ayton and work out a trade for Doncic on draft night.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

wpmiller42 wrote:Honestly, I love them both. They both have such high ceilings, and I think neither one of them are likely to be busts barring any sort of injury. And they both fill such gaping needs on our team. I'll be really excited for either of them. I think if we draft Doncic, we make a hard play for Capela. If we go with Ayton, I think maybe we could try and swing a trade for a player like TJ McConnell and make a play for Cousins? I think Ayton and Cousins would compliment each other really well.

In my dream world, Doncic's camp leaks that he won't come over for any team but Phoenix and Igor, so we draft Ayton and work out a trade for Doncic on draft night.
Good post.

Doncic has already planted the seed in the news today that he may not come over.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/997137789329211393