2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Bruiser

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by Bruiser »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/997520170145992704

Here comes more talk of Suns adding #4 pick to the first pick
Problem is they need win now pieces and we don't really have any unless they value Warren in that sense. And if you are a third team that provides relevant vets for MEM in exchange for future, you do it for the #4, not our prospects/draft stock, so we get cut out, although I guess if you put Jackson on the table, anything is possible. And obviousy if they are fool enough to take less value so we swallow Parsons, by all means let them go for it.
Taking Parsons’ contract is not a small feat. I would go as far as saying is an unavoidable step for any team rebuilding or retooling to get rid of such kind of contracts. Heck, we talk like that about B Knight and its half the money.

Other way to see it: Try to imagine what kind of package would be enough to dump Parsons without using the 4th. You’ll find out is not small talk, and only teams with most of it’s core in rookie contracts could get away with trading for tying such treadmill stone on it’s neck.
Super unpopular opinion (even more so because he and his underwear were representing us at the lottery) but I would be okay with trading JJ (last years 4th), some future 2nd + X (if that is even enough) for this year's 4th and some salary filler. I might be very wrong or an idiot and an ashole for saying something like this but I feel that teams and fans tend to overvalue their assets. From my point of view, no asset should be untouchable. If you get offered AD or Giannis for Booker, you have to at least think about it. Same goes for considering trading this year's 4th for last years 4th. Even though I do I understand that as a GM one has to be sensible with the team chemistry and fan base in terms of their emotions. Having said that, I love JJ but I am not convinced that he is better (for us) than say JJJ, Bagley or Bamba after Doncic. Would I do the trade if I were MCD? I guess so, even though I would be very aware of the fact that this could negatively influence the perception of our front office and mess with the team chemistry a lot. OTOH: We cannot possibly get any worse than dead last in offensive and defensive rating, so might as well swing for the fences ...

I am seriously sorry if that hurt someone's feelings. I love JJs effort and personality but I just never believed in him as a prospect and this season did not change my mind (enough).

Disclaimer: I just finished listening to the Locked on Fantasy Podcast on the Suns and maybe their negativity regarding our roster got to me.

https://player.fm/series/1657050/206117289

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'd be OK with trading Josh for the right return.

If we draft Doncic, we might not need Josh, and could use him to get one or more good assets.

If we draft Ayton, we are going to be sooo clogged in the middle. Jackson for a shooter might be a good move.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:I'd be OK with trading Josh for the right return.

If we draft Doncic, we might not need Josh, and could use him to get one or more good assets.

If we draft Ayton, we are going to be sooo clogged in the middle. Jackson for a shooter might be a good move.
I'd rather trade Warren for a shooter... Or just have Warren learn how to shoot. I'm hoping we see some significant improvement in Josh's shot as well next year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From what I saw from Jackson late in the year, I don't know that I'm ready to give him up so fast. Maybe for KAT, but he's a legit open court threat and downhill scorer. If Bender becomes a knockdown 3pt shooter at the 4 spot, it really opens up the floor. If we get a knockdown shooter at PG, Jackson's shot becomes less of an issue. It's when we have Ulis, Payton, Chriss, Bender, Len and Chandler out there that we can't space the floor at all.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC wrote:From what I saw from Jackson late in the year, I don't know that I'm ready to give him up so fast. Maybe for KAT, but he's a legit open court threat and downhill scorer. If Bender becomes a knockdown 3pt shooter at the 4 spot, it really opens up the floor. If we get a knockdown shooter at PG, Jackson's shot becomes less of an issue. It's when we have Ulis, Payton, Chriss, Bender, Len and Chandler out there that we can't space the floor at all.
maybe dragan bender is like jonathan bender... unfulfilled promise.

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
ShelC wrote:From what I saw from Jackson late in the year, I don't know that I'm ready to give him up so fast. Maybe for KAT, but he's a legit open court threat and downhill scorer. If Bender becomes a knockdown 3pt shooter at the 4 spot, it really opens up the floor. If we get a knockdown shooter at PG, Jackson's shot becomes less of an issue. It's when we have Ulis, Payton, Chriss, Bender, Len and Chandler out there that we can't space the floor at all.
Aw, man. I thought Jonathan Bender was going to be awesome.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

SDC wrote:
Maybe how about we don't declare that completely until he is at least old enough to drink--or how about old enough to rent a car on his own.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:
Maybe how about we don't declare that completely until he is at least old enough to drink--or how about old enough to rent a car on his own.
He did say “maybe.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:
Old enough to go on a bender, then?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:
Well played!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Cap wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:
He did say “maybe.”
So did I. ;)

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:
Got to be careful there, a Euro bender is different than an American bender.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jonathan Bender had arthritic knees. Wasn't so much about unfulfilled promise in his case.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:Jonathan Bender had arthritic knees. Wasn't so much about unfulfilled promise in his case.
Why did he have arthritic knees right out of high school? That doesn’t sound normal.

BTW, you know what he’s been up to since retiring? He invented a device to help people with that knee condition, and now owns and runs the company that makes and sells them.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Everyone's different. His first few years he played on loaded Pacers teams but gradually got minutes and his production increased. 5-6 years in tho, his knees gave out. He retired for the first time in 2006 and made a short lived comeback with the Knicks under Walsh, who drafted him in Indy.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2319500

He actually invented a medical device to help with knee pain and injuries, so it's not a totally sad story

http://www.sbnonline.com/article/how-jo ... s-careers/

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/31/jonat ... -after-nba

TOO

Post by TOO »

Cap wrote:
ShelC wrote:Jonathan Bender had arthritic knees. Wasn't so much about unfulfilled promise in his case.
Why did he have arthritic knees right out of high school? That doesn’t sound normal.

BTW, you know what he’s been up to since retiring? He invented a device to help people with that knee condition, and now owns and runs the company that makes and sells them.
I read a story about that awhile back, good for him. You don't often hear about NBA busts turning out well.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I don't recall Madrid playing Panathinaikos but I will still assume for now that there's some truth to this piece

https://twitter.com/TheMattPetersen/status/998401769406386179

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Madrid played Panathinaikos in the Euroleague quarter final.

carey

Post by carey »

bajanguy008 wrote:I don't recall Madrid playing Panathinaikos but I will still assume for now that there's some truth to this piece

https://twitter.com/TheMattPetersen/status/998401769406386179

The Greek Freak's brother, Thanasis, put the clamps on Doncic by being extra physical with him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SDC

Post by SDC »

if doncic falls to #4, memphis will be more than happy to get him and start him over parsons.