Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm
Wow, I don't get all the hate for Jahlil Okafor. I'd take him for the minimum.
At the minimum there is no risk. I can see it....But he was horrendous defensively in Philly at the end. I live here and he was the but of a lot of jokes. Sixer fans hated him.Haven't followed him since then, but he was a clear liability on that end than toward the end of his time here had several instances of lack of hustle/not fighting for things that ticked off the coaching staff.

I think when you're that bad defensively and are relgated to the post it's hard to get kept on the court. Now adding a jump shot with range is a nice way to solve 1 of those problems, but he couldn't guard a chair.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am
Like it for both teams. Toronto has to try something and with LeBron gone, they could win the East. Sounds like Kawhi is gone next year, but that's what everyone thought about Paul George as well. Derozan is good and Pop will know how to use him. A Derozan/Aldridge duo is pretty formidable and while I don't think they will contend, SA should still be in that next tier of playoff teams fighting for the 3rd seed.
For Toronto it's not bad. The Raptors had to change something. I think they went as far as they could with the Lowry/DeRozen combo. It's 50/50 at best (maybe even less) that Kawhi stays there, but clearing DeRozen off the books and allowing yourself flexibility to build a different way isn't the worst thing. The pick is protected 1-20 so that's reasonable and they give up a rotational prospect in Poeli. Really, if you don't like DeRozen's contract they aren't risking much. If you like him and think he is worth what he's getting piad, then it's risky.

For the Spurs, you don't know what else was on the table, but it sounded like they were hell bent on shipping hi to the east. Is this better than Saric, Covington, Pick or picks? (Which was a rumored offer from the Sixers)?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 am
Denver has traded Kenneth Farried, Darrell Arthur and a protected 2019 1st round pick to Brooklyn for Isaiah Whitehead in a salary dump.

I would have been fine with the Suns using their salary cap space this way. (not that I don't like Ariza)

This is what I wanted the suns to do on draft night. Great deal for the Nets, they're not competing this year anyways. Surprised at (not just the suns) but more teams didn't try to swing this. I guess you have to have the cap for it, but it's not like Farried and Arthur are stiffs either. It gets you 2 expirings you might be able to flip for more assets at the deadline and a future first. Again, nice job for Brooklyn.

All about the LT for Nuggets.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm
Orlando seemed like a destination that made sense but apparently nobody wanted him.

It's weird to me that LAL didn't take a flyer on IT and Boogie for 7M combined.
Seemed to me LeBron didn't get along with Thomas. That probably had a lot to do with it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

LeBron doesn't get along with anyone who challenges him.

carey

Post by carey »

What are the odds that Kawhi even shows up in Toronto? It's already been reported he has no desire to play in Toronto.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Maldonado wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:27 am

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1019503713373712385

:lol:
I remember this. It's when we opened the season against the Spurs and on the first play of the game Pop intentionally fouled Shaq because of all the hack-a-Shaq nonsense. It was funny.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

carey wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 am
What are the odds that Kawhi even shows up in Toronto? It's already been reported he has no desire to play in Toronto.
Probably very unlikely that he doesn't show up. I'd think it would be pretty damaging to his reputation if he refused to show up for work. It's in his best interest to be a model citizen for a year and head into free agency with a cleaner slate.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think I like the trade for Toronto. They give up arguably their best player in franchise history for a guy who is probably >50% chance to leave after one season. What's the point of that? Short-sighted IMO. If they lose him in a year they will look really stupid. DeRozan at least wanted to be there, and though he wasn't my favorite player, he seemed like he was getting a little better every year.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Xylus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am
carey wrote:
Probably very unlikely that he doesn't show up. I'd think it would be pretty damaging to his reputation if he refused to show up for work. It's in his best interest to be a model citizen for a year and head into free agency with a cleaner slate.
He didn't seem to have any objections with not showing up for the Spurs all of last season. I don't think he really cares about his reputation at this point.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Ryan needs to get on the horn with Toronto about taking some of their young'ns to help soften their cap sitch
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 am
I don't think I like the trade for Toronto. They give up arguably their best player in franchise history for a guy who is probably >50% chance to leave after one season. What's the point of that? Short-sighted IMO. If they lose him in a year they will look really stupid. DeRozan at least wanted to be there, and though he wasn't my favorite player, he seemed like he was getting a little better every year.
They had maxed out as a team. They needed to change something up unless they we're satisfied just being a psuedo-contender. If Kawhi leaves, they cleared a ton of space and can just start the rebuild they would have eventually needed anyways. I don't see the downside...maybe Derozan could have fetched a better haul of prospects/picks, but the chance at going to the finals with Kawhi is worth the risk. Even if he only stays a year.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Derozen is overratted IMO. I think Toronto is better off not having all that money tied up in Lowry and DeRozen. If Kawahi leaves its a tough blow, but I still rather have the cap space.
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 am
Xylus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am
carey wrote:
He didn't seem to have any objections with not showing up for the Spurs all of last season. I don't think he really cares about his reputation at this point.
He doesn’t have to announce that he’s holding out because he doesn’t like Toronto. Just get a second opinion on an owie and sit out for medical reasons despite being cleared by team doctors to play. Worked last season.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Again from the Spurs POV, how do they not get a better package than that? Maybe the Sixers, Celtics, Lakers bidding war was grossly exaggerated.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Just being nitpicky, but with Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady in their history, DD is not the best.

That aside. They are in win-now mode. With LeBron out of the EC they are going for it all now. I get that. If they are successful, they might have a shot at keeping Kahwi. If not, they will have dropped $30 million from their cap number.

It was clear they were not winning it all with DD.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 am
Again from the Spurs POV, how do they not get a better package than that? Maybe the Sixers, Celtics, Lakers bidding war was grossly exaggerated.
1 year rental, health uncertain, weird backward personality, uncle Dennis. That's why.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Just being nitpicky, but with Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady in their history, DD is not the best.

That aside. They are in win-now mode. With LeBron out of the EC they are going for it all now. I get that. If they are successful, they might have a shot at keeping Kahwi. If not, they will have dropped $30 million from their cap number.

I'd argue he currently is not the best player on there current team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Vince was more memorable and impactful, and McGrady was a better overall player in his prime (though he didn't stay in Toronto for his prime). But if you look at the whole career numbers and years played, you can make a case for DeRozan as the best Raptor career ever. I am not saying it's certainly true; I'm just saying it's arguable, and he's certainly in their top 2-3 ever.

As for hitting their ceiling, topping out, etc.: The entire balance of power in the East just changed dramatically with Lebron leaving. Why not run it back and see if you can finally make it to the Finals without your kryptonite opponent to stop you? You think the Celtics or Sixers are better than Toronto? It's possible. But we don't have a lot of data to prove that. I would have run it back and at least given it a chance this year to see if maybe they could take the mantle as the East's best team in the post-Lebron era.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good points, but they're better with Kawhi instead of Derozan. LeBron leaving is an even better reason to make the trade. Gotta capitalize before Boston and Philly take over the East