Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:20 am
Jalen Brown may be right but he just put a big target on their backs.
Why is that a bad thing? You have a target on your back once the playoffs start anyway, might as well get used to it during the season.
And pretty sure they already are seen as the team to beat. Doesn't hurt them at all.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Why is that a bad thing? You have a target on your back once the playoffs start anyway, might as well get used to it during the season.
I guess if you want to be the best, you want teams giving you their very best during the season and they are going to get it. Hopefully for them, they’re not worn out come playoff time.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Kyrie and Hayward and healthy and can be incorporated back into the mix successfully, the Cs are obviously a lot more dangerous. But if Kyrie starts playing hero ball and they can't figure out roles/minutes for Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Morris it could get tricky.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 am
I think you're looking at Boston and Philly as the top two teams. Washington, Indiana, Milwaukee and Toronto are in the next tier. I still don't see Milwaukee taking that leap this year. Same with Indy. Even with Kawhi Toronto won't be much different, same goes for Washington with Dwight.

Even so, not sure Boston or Philly can be GS. None of those teams have the firepower to keep up.
Toronto was the one seed last year, so not much different is still really good. I think people underestimate them because they choked in the Cavs series. They were the best team in the East last year and got better.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I know I'm repeating myself, but you guys are sleeping on Utah. This team is really really good. I'm jealous as hell as a Suns fan. Gobert is a phenomenal defensive anchor at center. When he's healthy, everyone else looks better on the floor with him. Gobert, Rubio, Ingles, Favors, Mitchell, Exum, etc.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am
I know I'm repeating myself, but you guys are sleeping on Utah. This team is really really good. I'm jealous as hell as a Suns fan. Gobert is a phenomenal defensive anchor at center. When he's healthy, everyone else looks better on the floor with him. Gobert, Rubio, Ingles, Favors, Mitchell, Exum, etc.
You're right, they are a phenomenal defensive team. #2 in the NBA. Behind Boston. Utah is good, but they're not better than Boston.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Utah is destined for a second round exit. They’re good but they didn’t improve much this offseason and everyone around them got better.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The East is really short on depth, but their top teams are not weak.

Tier 1 - Golden State
Tier 2 - Houston, Boston, Toronto, and maybe Philly
Tier 3 - Philly, Utah, New Orleans, Indy, Denver, OKC, Minny, SA, LAL, Portland, and maybe Milwaukee
Tier 4 - Milwaukee, Washington, Miami,
Tier 5 - LAC, Dallas, Memphis, Phoenix, Detroit, Cleveland
Tier 6 - Orlando, Brooklyn, Chicago, New York, Charlotte
Tier 7 - Atlanta, Sacramento

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't see it with the Clippers. I think they have the worst or second worst team in the West.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 am
Superbone wrote:
It fires up the other team even more. I think a good recent example is the Warriors, where Ws players talking trash, bragging, acting entitled/cocky, etc. contributes to a negative energy or backlash toward the team. It also makes every opposing team and fan base really want to give it to you and could lead you to be more wiped out by the end of the season.

If I were Jaylen, I wouldn't brag and boast until my team had made it to the Finals at least once. But that's just me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
I agree with this. I think Houston may take a step back this year. Harden looks chubby and they feel like they're due for a letdown year or some classic D'Antoni wear-and-tear-accumulation injuries. Could see Houston slipping to #3 or #4 behind a surging Utah or others.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 am
I am being super lazy by not taking the 2mins to double check this but just off the top of my head I'm fairly certain that Celtics have played a bunch of close games against Warriors the last two seasons. Seems they do a solid job on the defensive end but as for Jaylen's quote, I do expect them to be the team to beat in the East.
As talented as Ben is I just have my reservations about their playoff success. Sixers were awesome when they got to get out on the break but struggled in half court which we Suns fans know a lil about that dilemma back in the day. Although they could go to Embiid, he was forcing things albeit his first playoffs so he will be better next time but Ben not willing to shoot I still feel really will be still the issue especially with the defenders Boston would be able to throw at him
I like Philly but don't love Philly. I think they could have a disappointing season this coming year. For one thing, they have had such bad luck with injuries, I don't know that I would want to bet on both of Simmons and Embiid making it through the whole year and staying on the court. Second, it feels like they may have some latent unresolved chemistry issues about whether it is Simmons' or Embiid's team. Embiid seemed to enjoy the games where Simmons was out just a little too much, and that worries me that he sees himself as the alpha dog who needs the ball in his hands. I also don't know if they have enough shooting to really contend. Everybody wants to put Philly as #2 in the East, but they still feel like they're 1-2 years of maturing away from that. I'd much rather look to a more balanced veteran team like Toronto, or maybe Indy or Washington.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am
In2ition wrote:
You're right, they are a phenomenal defensive team. #2 in the NBA. Behind Boston. Utah is good, but they're not better than Boston.
Weren't they only behind Boston by .1? And that's even with Gobert missing 26 games this past year? I'm saying they are a better defensive team with everyone healthy than Boston and it's not even close.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am
In2ition wrote:
Utah is destined for a second round exit. They’re good but they didn’t improve much this offseason and everyone around them got better.
Houston got worse and it would have been a better series last year if Rubio doesn't get hurt in the previous series. You could contend that GSW took a tiny step back after losing a few FAs and only signing an injured Cousins that will be out for at least half the season before coming back from an Achilles rupture. They got better just by having continuity, bringing everyone back and getting everyone healthy. This is why I'm saying many are sleeping on these guys.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 am
ShelC wrote:
I think you're looking at Boston and Philly as the top two teams. Washington, Indiana, Milwaukee and Toronto are in the next tier. I still don't see Milwaukee taking that leap this year. Same with Indy. Even with Kawhi Toronto won't be much different, same goes for Washington with Dwight.

Even so, not sure Boston or Philly can be GS. None of those teams have the firepower to keep up.
Toronto was the one seed last year, so not much different is still really good. I think people underestimate them because they choked in the Cavs series. They were the best team in the East last year and got better.
The #1 seed was fool's gold. Kyrie and Hayward were out the entire year. LeBron was on cruise control the entire year as well. The Raps may be a very good regular season team, but they're not scaring anyone in the playoffs. And, did they really get better? Is Kawhi going to be fully engaged? Lowry had a down year last year, can he/will he bounce back?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:

The #1 seed was fool's gold. Kyrie and Hayward were out the entire year. LeBron was on cruise control the entire year as well. The Raps may be a very good regular season team, but they're not scaring anyone in the playoffs. And, did they really get better? Is Kawhi going to be fully engaged? Lowry had a down year last year, can he/will he bounce back?
All good points and questions. We don't know if Kawhi is going to be engaged or healthy and come back the same Kawhi. But if he is healthy and engaged, they definitely got better, imo.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am
In2ition wrote:
Weren't they only behind Boston by .1? And that's even with Gobert missing 26 games this past year? I'm saying they are a better defensive team with everyone healthy than Boston and it's not even close.
Fair point, I wouldn't say it's not close, but they might be better defensively. They're both elite defenses. The difference is Boston has elite offensive talents as well. Unless Mitchell becomes Wade 2.0 really quickly, Boston has much more offensive talent.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Hayward was out the entire year...Kyrie didn't get hurt until the end.

LeBron was not on cruise control, he put up crazy numbers, he just had zero help.

Kawhi is significantly better than Derozan. Sure, I guess he could play half heartedly, but that's a dangerous move in a contract year.

Lowry struggled at the start of the season, but he turned it around. He is getting older though.

Still, I think you're vastly underestimating Toronto. They're really good.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm
ShelC wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Hayward was out the entire year...Kyrie didn't get hurt until the end.

LeBron was not on cruise control, he put up crazy numbers, he just had zero help.

Kawhi is significantly better than Derozan. Sure, I guess he could play half heartedly, but that's a dangerous move in a contract year.

Lowry struggled at the start of the season, but he turned it around. He is getting older though.

Still, I think you're vastly underestimating Toronto. They're really good.
I get and acknowledge that Hayward and Irving are better than their replacements, but it's not on the defensive end. In Hayward's case, it might not be all that big of an improvement on Tatum or Brown and some would argue it's a little downgrade and he only improves the bench. It's certainly going to be interesting though to watch this season. So many story lines to watch across the league.

I agree with you about Toronto.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1027910403798589441

If he was Healthy and went Top 5 along with Doncic this might have been interesting to follow during the season but....
As much as I like his game this is a "at least get back on the court fore throwing shade" for me :roll:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)