Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:I'm taking KAT - known commodity.
+1
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:That's silly. KAT is still under his rookie deal; and more upside?! He is 22 years, averaged 21/12 this year, shot 50% FG/40% 3PT and blocked 1.4 shots per game. Come on.

His defense just leaves so much to be desired. He just does not move his feet well to me.
Now that line of reasoning I can understand. There are some defensive concerns with KAT. My drawback is that I feel like he is plays below the rim sometimes for no apparent reason; he doesn't always get good lift around the basket.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would absolutely take KAT over Ayton (and even over Doncic, who I prefer to Ayton). KAT puts up great numbers and is likely a future multi-time all-star. That is greater than the expected value of a random #1 draft pick. He had a bit of a down year this past season, but I think this is likely due to not being a great fit for Thibs's system.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't know that I'd even call it a down year. His points went down, but it was just opportunity. Adding Jimmy Butler to the offense will take away touches.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I trade the #1 for KAT with no hesitation.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:That's silly. KAT is still under his rookie deal; and more upside?! He is 22 years, averaged 21/12 this year, shot 50% FG/40% 3PT and blocked 1.4 shots per game. Come on.

His defense just leaves so much to be desired. He just does not move his feet well to me.
Now that line of reasoning I can understand. There are some defensive concerns with KAT. My drawback is that I feel like he is plays below the rim sometimes for no apparent reason; he doesn't always get good lift around the basket.
He’s closer to an Alan Williams than Dwight Howard athletically. Definitely plays below the rim for the most part. I just think Ayton has the potential to become a better defender as he learns and probably can guard the perimeter better than him already.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

To me, Ayton has a higher ceiling, but KAT is a known commodity. But KAT is going to have to get paid soon. We would get Ayton for 4 years on a cheap rookie deal and then still have control after that. You have control over him for 8 or 9 years and much of it at a reasonable salary. That allows for more cap flexibility to sign other free agents. I want to be set up for the next decade, not just the next five years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

He’s closer to an Alan Williams than Dwight Howard athletically. Definitely plays below the rim for the most part. I just think Ayton has the potential to become a better defender as he learns and probably can guard the perimeter better than him already.
That's the thing that would give me pause. You're trading an unknown for a known. Yes, that known is excellent and has the extra benefit of being good friends with Booker but what if Ayton becomes even better in the long run?
"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

That's the thing that would give me pause. You're trading an unknown for a known. Yes, that known is excellent and has the extra benefit of being good friends with Booker but what if Ayton becomes even better in the long run?
Putting "friends" on the same team should not play into any decision in the least, unless it is a negative. It is not as bad as putting brothers on the same team, but almost. It makes future deals, benching, free agency etc, awkward. There is even a bit of awkwardness right now about what to do with Ulis because of his friendship with Booker.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Putting "friends" on the same team should not play into any decision in the least, unless it is a negative. It is not as bad as putting brothers on the same team, but almost. It makes future deals, benching, free agency etc, awkward. There is even a bit of awkwardness right now about what to do with Ulis because of his friendship with Booker.
That is a good point as well, JC.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Good take.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Good take.
I agree.

I am slowly selling myself on Ayton.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My mind changes so much that I'll keep an open mind as long as we don't trade the pick for someone stupid or draft someone like Trae Young 1st. I'll be mildly dissapointed if we draft someone not named Doncic or Ayton without trading down for an additional asset.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:My mind changes so much that I'll keep an open mind as long as we don't trade the pick for someone stupid or draft someone like Trae Young 1st. I'll be mildly dissapointed if we draft someone not named Doncic or Ayton without trading down for an additional asset.
I think that the only reason to trade down is because you know that the player you can get with the lower pick is the player you want anyway. I think Danny Ainge would have taken Tatum #1 last summer. He already had a couple of point guards, and better ones probably than were in the draft. I think he had Tatum and Jackson rated about the same, but Tatum was probably a little more NBA ready.

So, there is not reason to trade down unless the Suns think that Bagley, Bamba or someone else is really their guy. I just don't see that happening.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I agree. I just think the top 6 are close enough that it's possible after workouts we decide someone other than Doncic/Ayton is our guy.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:I agree. I just think the top 6 are close enough that it's possible after workouts we decide someone other than Doncic/Ayton is our guy.
I definitely could see that if we were picking 2-8 or so. I would add Mikal Bridges into that mix. It seems that Ayton/Doncic are above the rest and then there is a pretty even valuation for the following 6. But, its a month to the draft. Anything can happen. Health issues, arrests, bad interviews, deeper evaluation, skills other players did not show in college, anything.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good for coach Triano.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/998312947653971968

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:Good for coach Triano.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/998312947653971968

Good guy, deserves to be employed, not sure if he’s HC material.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Kemba is going to have a career year next season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marcus Smart walked out of the TD Garden, perhaps for the final time, lamenting squandered opportunities and wondering aloud whether he has played his last game as a Boston Celtic.

Smart, who will be a restricted free agent this summer, was told that Boston might not be able -- or willing -- to afford the $12-14 million a year price tag that he reportedly has been seeking.

"To be honest, I'm worth more than 12-14 million," Smart told ESPN. "Just for the things I do on the court that don't show up on the stat sheet. You don't find guys like that. I always leave everything on the court, every game. Tell me how many other players can say that."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2362 ... re-12m-14m