Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:32 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:02 pm
Warren, Jackson, Melton and Milwaukee pick for Butler.
I'm sorry In2, but that is a terrible deal. Butler does nothing to elevate this team. And whoever gives him his gigantic extension is going to regret it. I have no interest in him.
Ok, I wouldn't start with that. Do you not think he's worth trading for at all, and why? Also, what do you think it would take?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:22 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Is it better to keep paying players that don't fit for awhile and/or continuing to wait until they develop and contribute near the same level of Butler? Is Butler not worth his contract?
I like Butler in the right circumstances, but I don't think he elevates a team the way his contract suggests he should. I think Minnesota would be better off with LaVine and Markkanen, and I think we would eventually feel the same way.
I don't think they would have improved enough this past year without the trade, and how do we know that Minnesota would have drafted Laurie? Maybe in the long run, it would have worked out better for them, bit no way they make the playoffs without the trade, imo.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:36 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I'm sorry In2, but that is a terrible deal. Butler does nothing to elevate this team. And whoever gives him his gigantic extension is going to regret it. I have no interest in him.
Ok, I wouldn't start with that. Do you not think he's worth trading for at all, and why? Also, what do you think it would take?
I don't think he is worth trading for. He is not elite to where he elevates a franchise. And unless we're talking about someone who is elite, I don't think it makes sense to give up assets for a wing player. If I am moving assets, it is going to be for a PG or a PF, or someone that can give us great play at the 4 (i.e. a smallball 4).

I don't think Phoenix has the players Minnesota would want. They need shooters; we really don't have any that would equate to the level of player Butler is. They could also use an upgrade to play next to KAT. Again, Phoenix can't offer it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It doesn't feel like this is the kind of team where Butler would end up. He'll want to go to a better team closer to contending in the playoffs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:50 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:36 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I don't think he is worth trading for. He is not elite to where he elevates a franchise. And unless we're talking about someone who is elite, I don't think it makes sense to give up assets for a wing player. If I am moving assets, it is going to be for a PG or a PF, or someone that can give us great play at the 4 (i.e. a smallball 4).

I don't think Phoenix has the players Minnesota would want. They need shooters; we really don't have any that would equate to the level of player Butler is. They could also use an upgrade to play next to KAT. Again, Phoenix can't offer it.
I get what you're saying and kind of agree with most of it. I do disagree that Butler isn't elite.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

I think Butler's game would be great for this team, I'm a bit surprised how low people seem to be on him. He absolutely did elevate the Timberwolves this season, they had home court advantage before he got injured. I think his on/off net rating difference before the injury was around +16.

To me, the questions about Butler are injuries (he only played over 70 games twice, but how much of that is Thibbs?) and chemistry issues (he had problems in Chicago and he has problems now). From the basketball side, I'd really like him and look to get Tyus Jones in the trade as well to pair them with Booker.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I prefer to stay away from expensive veterans who've played multiple seasons under Tom Thibodeau.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Phoenix would probably just end up as a one-year layover for Butler on his way to free agency anyway.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:48 am
Phoenix would probably just end up as a one-year layover for Butler on his way to free agency anyway.
The worst case is that he opts out after not getting the Suns to the playoffs, the Suns lost assets, but gained a lot of cap space?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My boy Jarrett Jack signed with the Pelicans.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm
My boy Jarrett Jack signed with the Pelicans.
The have so many point guards!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

So Butler has asked to be traded... Would you make an offer? He requested Brooklyn, New York, and LAC

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'd make an offer, but without assurance he'd stay, I wouldn't break the bank. I think something like Jackson/Chandler/Mil 1st would be my offer. Substitute Warren for Jackson if they prefer. Can Brooklyn put together a decent offer? They might be my favorites if Butler really wants to resign there.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I didn't want him before that list, I 100% wouldn't trade for him now that we know we're not on the list. He just strikes me as a guy who never seems content. Putting him on the Knicks would be a disaster IMO. He'd do well in BK tho I think and they might have the assets to get him if the package is built around a guy like DRus. Maybe Crabbe is attractive to them as well.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It'll be interesting to see how his value compares to Kwahi.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 pm
I'd make an offer, but without assurance he'd stay, I wouldn't break the bank. I think something like Jackson/Chandler/Mil 1st would be my offer. Substitute Warren for Jackson if they prefer. Can Brooklyn put together a decent offer? They might be my favorites if Butler really wants to resign there.
No way for a rental!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Hell no to Butler.

Horrible attitude, does not do well with young teammates, and he hates Bookers best friend KAT. Highly doubt Booker would want to play with him and he is not very likable. Hard pass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Where are all these horrible attitude posts coming from? Not sure how his relationship with KAT says anything about his relationship with Booker. KAT isn't on our team. I think Booker and Butler would like playing with each other. Butler has said quite a few good things about Booker.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm
Where are all these horrible attitude posts coming from? Not sure how his relationship with KAT says anything about his relationship with Booker. KAT isn't on our team. I think Booker and Butler would like playing with each other. Butler has said quite a few good things about Booker.
If you don’t know where they’re coming from, you’re not paying attention bro. His reputation is well documented. He is not a good teammate

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"I'd rather suck or not get better than to trade for a guy like Butler who elevates a team, but I've convinced myself would have a bad attitude and be a cancer even though we don't know that at all, and he's never satisfied even though he's only played for two teams and didn't want to get traded from his first." my take on most's attitude to pursuing Butler