Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by UglyTruth »

I really want the Lakers to sign Nick Young and have a bench unit of

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

I would make the (dreadful) drive to LA to watch this.

Cap

Post by Cap »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:18 am

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

LA traffic sucks. I was known to brave the trip for an occasional Suns game in LA when I was living in San Diego, but you have to be seriously committed. And leave early. Sometimes I wondered if it would be quicker to walk from San Diego than to drive through the parking lot that is northbound I-5 late on a Friday afternoon.

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 am
UglyTruth wrote:

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

LA traffic sucks. I was known to brave the trip for an occasional Suns game in LA when I was living in San Diego, but you have to be seriously committed. And leave early. Sometimes I wondered if it would be quicker to walk from San Diego than to drive through the parking lot that is northbound I-5 late on a Friday afternoon.
Before you could Dj with mp3's I used to drive from Phoenix to L.A. all the time to go record shopping. Every 6 months or so. I have never seen anything as nuts as L.A. traffic. It is seriously something that needs to be seen to be believed.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:01 am
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

Before you could Dj with mp3's I used to drive from Phoenix to L.A. all the time to go record shopping. Every 6 months or so. I have never seen anything as nuts as L.A. traffic. It is seriously something that needs to be seen to be believed.
LA traffic is bad but you need to visit SF if you truly believe this.

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am
I've been twice. I don't remember it being nearly as bad as L.A. Of course this was 17 years ago.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

LA is worse than SF.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

The citizens of Mexico City and Lima Peru laugh.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:23 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

According to Fortune Magazine:
The top 10 most congested cities in the world are:

1. Los Angeles
2. New York City (tie)
2. Moscow (tie)
4. Sao Paulo, Brazil
5. San Francisco
6. Bogotá
7. London
8. Atlanta
9. Paris
10. Miami
http://fortune.com/2018/02/06/most-cong ... t-traffic/

So LA beats SF and everybody else in the world, while Mexico City and Lima don’t even make the list.

ETA: CBS extends the list to 24 entries, if you’re willing to deal with a slideshow. Mexico City comes in at 16. Still no Lima. https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/worst- ... e-world/1/

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

JCSunsfan wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
Cap wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:

Rondo
Young
Lance
Beesley
McGee

That Fortune Magazine article is a load of horse manure. I have spent lots of time in all of those cities, and there is no comparison. Americans have to think they are the best or worst at everything.

http://www.nearshoreamericas.com/mexico ... try-earth/
http://www.rediff.com/money/report/pix- ... 150421.htm
http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/city ... city-index
https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/life ... -says-waze

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Alex Len is signing a contract with the Hawks. Hope he works out there and becomes a great NBA center.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1020782618235858945

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm
Alex Len is signing a contract with the Hawks. Hope he works out there and becomes a great NBA center.
He’ll never be a great NBA center. Be happy if he becomes a good one.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL

https://twitter.com/ScottHoward42/status/1020784563788759041

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Lmao

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:21 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
Cap wrote:

That Fortune Magazine article is a load of horse manure. I have spent lots of time in all of those cities, and there is no comparison. Americans have to think they are the best or worst at everything.

http://www.nearshoreamericas.com/mexico ... try-earth/
http://www.rediff.com/money/report/pix- ... 150421.htm
http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/city ... city-index
https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/life ... -says-waze
Yep, science says anectdotal evidence is the best evidence

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

After all that nonsense last offseason of Len being worth $10-12 million per, he went and got a deal at 2 years and 8.5 million dollars total. About what he is worth.

Cap

Post by Cap »

OK, let’s try to wonk out the differences between the lists.

It appears to me they use different measures.

JCSF’s sources rank the cities by how much, proportionally, the traffic adds to commute time. Basically, it’s inversely related to the speed of traffic.

The Fortune/CBS sources also consider the length of the average commute and see how much traffic adds in absolute terms, rather than proportional.

To illustrate the difference, consider the following two idealized cities.

City A is shaped like a dumbbell: two small circular regions connected by a single long road. Most residents live in the east region and work in the west. Traffic moves swiftly within the regions, but the traffic on that long road between the regions can be bad. When residents of this city complain about traffic, they’re talking about the traffic on this road. During rush hour it crawls along at a miserable 20 mph.

City B is just like City A in all respects except two. First, the traffic along the main road isn’t quite as slow. At rush hour it’s 30 mph. Second, the main road is three times as long.

In both cities, the traffic-free rate of travel is 60 mph.

In City A, that rush hour traffic increases your commute from 10 minutes to 30 minutes: adding 20 minutes, or tripling it.

In City B, that rush hour traffic increases your commute from 30 minutes to 60 minutes: adding 30 minutes, or doubling it.

So the traffic is slower in City A, but costs you more time in City B. Which city has the “worse” traffic?

Makes sense that Los Angeles would lead the Fortune list, because in addition to the traffic moving slowly, the area is pretty spread out.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:01 pm
After all that nonsense last offseason of Len being worth $10-12 million per, he went and got a deal at 2 years and 8.5 million dollars total. About what he is worth.
I would have happily kept him at that price.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
I would have preferred to keep Len at this price over Chandler. But maybe Sauce over both.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I don't think Len would have been willing to stay here at that price. It felt like he wanted to go "where he wanted to go", If i remember correctly from an article a few months ago.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

jonh wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:11 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I don't think Len would have been willing to stay here at that price. It felt like he wanted to go "where he wanted to go", If i remember correctly from an article a few months ago.
I thought he wanted to go to a playoff team?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass