Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm
Where are all these horrible attitude posts coming from? Not sure how his relationship with KAT says anything about his relationship with Booker. KAT isn't on our team. I think Booker and Butler would like playing with each other. Butler has said quite a few good things about Booker.
If you don’t know where they’re coming from, you’re not paying attention bro. His reputation is well documented. He is not a good teammate
I pay plenty of attention. Tells me more that you can't give me an example of him being a bad teammate.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm
Where are all these horrible attitude posts coming from? Not sure how his relationship with KAT says anything about his relationship with Booker. KAT isn't on our team. I think Booker and Butler would like playing with each other. Butler has said quite a few good things about Booker.
If you don’t know where they’re coming from, you’re not paying attention bro. His reputation is well documented. He is not a good teammate
I pay plenty of attention. Tells me more that you can't give me an example of him being a bad teammate.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6143254-jimm ... -instagram

Just one example

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I personally would like to have both Beverly and Butler on the roster this year, without giving up Jackson, Bridges, Booker, Ayton, If it could be done with picks, Warren, and filler. I would love to see some culture setters like Beverly and Butler along with Ariza, Anderson and Chandler do their work with Harrison, Melton, Okobo, Booker, Reed, Jackson, Bridges, Bender, and Ayton or something similar. I can't imagine too many teams coming in thinking that they are easily going to get what they want on the floor when they want it. Lots of MFers on the floor at any time and a great example of out working other teams.

We know that Melton, Harrison, Jackson, Reed and Bridges and even Bender have good defensive mindset. Ayton, Booker and possibly Okobo need that next push.
Last edited by In2ition on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don't have an issue with him calling out KAT and Wiggins. Sure, I'd prefer he did it in private, but those guys, especially Wiggins, could use a kick in the pants. Butler is one of the harder workers in the league, he doesn't think Towns and Wiggins have the work ethic to succeed. I don't think he'd have an issue with Booker or Jackson or Bridges. Maybe he can light a fire in Bender and get Ayton started down the right path.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm
I don't have an issue with him calling out KAT and Wiggins. Sure, I'd prefer he did it in private, but those guys, especially Wiggins, could use a kick in the pants. Butler is one of the harder workers in the league, he doesn't think Towns and Wiggins have the work ethic to succeed. I don't think he'd have an issue with Booker or Jackson or Bridges. Maybe he can light a fire in Bender and get Ayton started down the right path.
Absolutely atrocious leadership. He called them lost idiots publicly, give me a break. That does not solve anything.

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/ant ... -room-guy/

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/sco ... ago-bulls/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm
"I'd rather suck or not get better than to trade for a guy like Butler who elevates a team, but I've convinced myself would have a bad attitude and be a cancer even though we don't know that at all, and he's never satisfied even though he's only played for two teams and didn't want to get traded from his first." my take on most's attitude to pursuing Butler
A big thing with me is that for all the Jimmy Butler talk and his rep as a stud/star, when and how much has he really won? He played on one 50 team 4 years ago that also featured guys like Rose, Gasol, Deng and Noah. You can say it's on the team to build a winner around him (and point to the Suns and Booker as an example), but like I've said - Kobe attitude, but not a Kobe resume. He's playing for the coach he loved in Chicago, has talent around him in Wiggins, KAT, Teague, Gibson and still sulks and asks out. He doesn't want to be in PHX, I'm not giving up any assets for him. End of story.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
"I'd rather suck or not get better than to trade for a guy like Butler who elevates a team, but I've convinced myself would have a bad attitude and be a cancer even though we don't know that at all, and he's never satisfied even though he's only played for two teams and didn't want to get traded from his first." my take on most's attitude to pursuing Butler
A big thing with me is that for all the Jimmy Butler talk and his rep as a stud/star, when and how much has he really won? He played on one 50 team 4 years ago that also featured guys like Rose, Gasol, Deng and Noah. You can say it's on the team to build a winner around him (and point to the Suns and Booker as an example), but like I've said - Kobe attitude, but not a Kobe resume. He's playing for the coach he loved in Chicago, has talent around him in Wiggins, KAT, Teague, Gibson and still sulks and asks out. He doesn't want to be in PHX, I'm not giving up any assets for him. End of story.
They were on track to get the 3rd seed in the West, until he got hurt. I think a guy like Wiggins and even Towns could be frustrating for a guy like Butler. He can see that they aren't taking their time seriously and only seem to be marginally interested in winning or doing what it takes to win in the league night in and night out. It's not like it didn't work. They played well with him on the floor and got into the playoffs after a 13 year absence. If he doesn't work out here, you have extra cap space for next year, as you got rid of Warren's salary, and slotted salary for picks. Then only one contract that lasts another year in Anderson, who could be stretched in theory.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Talent that doesn't want to put in the work to be a champion. If towns and Wiggins really don't want to put in the effort, I have no issue with him wanting out.

Has he rubbed some people the wrong way? Sure, but at least it's because he's a competitor and wants to win. Again, I don't think he'd have any issue with guys like Booker/Jackson/Bridges. You may be right that he doesn't want to be here, and if he expresses that opinion, then move along, but most players asking to be traded have specific teams they request, rarely get traded to those teams and still often re-sign.

I still think Butler is worth looking into. You never know, Butler and Kyrie have been rumored to want to play together. We could trade for Butler and land a Kyrie/Butler combo next summer.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1042585602720497670

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Not good. Glad it's not our problem anymore.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 pm
It’s not really Houston’s problem either.

carey

Post by carey »

I stopped in to see if you guys were talking about the Mavericks report. Here's the USA Today piece on it: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 362645002/
In a lengthy statement, the NBA said in part, “investigators concluded that Mavericks’ management was ineffective, including a lack of compliance and internal controls, and that these shortcomings permitted the growth of an environment in which acts of misconduct and the individuals who committed them could flourish.”
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
How so?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:54 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
How so?
Because instead of being slotted as their starting PG, he is probably their 3rd string PG.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Remember when we had the poll asking if Knight had played his last game as a Sun? Maybe we kneed a poll about whether he has played his last game in the NBA.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:56 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Remember when we had the poll asking if Knight had played his last game as a Sun? Maybe we kneed [a poll] about whether he has played his last game in the NBA.
ISWYDT.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Have you guys heard of the Points Gained stat? It's based on shot selection, offensively and defensively. David Locke believes that the best ratio is to have 40% of your shots in the paint, 40% of your shots as a 3 pt, and 20% as a midrange. The best defense keeps teams out of the paint and off the perimeter. I really could see the Suns making huge gains in this both offensively and defensively based on their roster makeup and how Igor likes to build his defense and offense. Of course, Warren skews this as he doesn't take a ton of 3's. We'll see how this goes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We do need to trend more 3's and at the rim. We take a lot of mid range shots. Warren is a big culprit, so is Booker. They're both pretty good at them though. In fact, really good. Still, while shooting 45% from 20 feet is probably one of the better marks in the league, you're better off shooting 33% from 3.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Supposedly word is that Butler's list was more like 5 or 6 and could be even bigger. He's not hell bent on only the first 3 reported.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Also, saw a proposal of:
LAC getting: Butler
MIN getting: Warren, Lou Williams, 2019 CLE or ORL second round pick via LAC
PHX getting: Beverly and Teodosic

What do you guys think?