Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh ho....

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/1019620334721556482

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 am
JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:51 am
I don't think I like the trade for Toronto. They give up arguably their best player in franchise history for a guy who is probably >50% chance to leave after one season. What's the point of that? Short-sighted IMO. If they lose him in a year they will look really stupid. DeRozan at least wanted to be there, and though he wasn't my favorite player, he seemed like he was getting a little better every year.
Just being nitpicky, but with Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady in their history, DD is not the best.

That aside. They are in win-now mode. With LeBron out of the EC they are going for it all now. I get that. If they are successful, they might have a shot at keeping Kahwi. If not, they will have dropped $30 million from their cap number.

It was clear they were not winning it all with DD.
Vince was more memorable and impactful, and McGrady was a better overall player in his prime (though he didn't stay in Toronto for his prime). But if you look at the whole career numbers and years played, you can make a case for DeRozan as the best Raptor career ever. I am not saying it's certainly true; I'm just saying it's arguable, and he's certainly in their top 2-3 ever.

As for hitting their ceiling, topping out, etc.: The entire balance of power in the East just changed dramatically with Lebron leaving. Why not run it back and see if you can finally make it to the Finals without your kryptonite opponent to stop you? You think the Celtics or Sixers are better than Toronto? It's possible. But we don't have a lot of data to prove that. I would have run it back and at least given it a chance this year to see if maybe they could take the mantle as the East's best team in the post-Lebron era.
Chris Bosh anyone?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Can Schroeder and Westbrook play together? Might there be another deal?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

He's not a Marquee name obviously but this Bjelica signing then leaving then pondering returning is quite the thing lol

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1019670023688851456

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:43 pm
He's not a Marquee name obviously but this Bjelica signing then leaving then pondering returning is quite the thing lol

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1019670023688851456

He didn't actually sign did he?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Schroeder seems like a really expensive backup for OKC

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

The NBA is just getting weird.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have to say, I'm kind of shocked that the Spurs got such a great haul for Kawhi. You don't usually get even close to equal value back when trading a disgruntled superstar. DeMar is not as good as Kawhi, but he's a very talented guard and is in his prime age-wise. He's also been improving and adding to his game every year. I think he'll be great there. They also get an interesting young big man and a future 1st round pick. That's a great deal! Much, much better than being forced to accept a crappy haul from the Lakers just because Kawhi supposedly wants to play there.

Really savvy move on their part, assuming that you have to trade Kawhi. And I think they had to make a move. You can't just go back into training camp with him there ruining team chemistry. It would have festered and gotten really bad.

I do kind of wonder what the Spurs' overall plan is, though. DeMar and Aldridge is a decent nucleus, along with their other young pieces. But they are at best the 4th or 5th seed in the West and have essentially no chance of beating the Warriors or Rockets IMO. So I'm not sure where they go from here. I guess they want to try to be good until Pop retires.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm
I do kind of wonder what the Spurs' overall plan is, though. DeMar and Aldridge is a decent nucleus, along with their other young pieces. But they are at best the 4th or 5th seed in the West and have essentially no chance of beating the Warriors or Rockets IMO. So I'm not sure where they go from here. I guess they want to try to be good until Pop retires.
Quite the haul for a rental. Still, what are they going to do? Mid-range teams to death?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:06 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm
Quite the haul for a rental. Still, what are they going to do? Mid-range teams to death?
DeRozan showed a much improved 3-point shot last season. So I imagine he'll do some of that. Also the Spurs thrive on ball movement, passing, cutting, screens. I bet DeRozan can fit into that system. I think it'll be really good for him as a player to be in that environment. I bet he will fit in really well for them if he buys in. I could see him being there a long time, and maybe even prolonging Pop's stay there if Pop enjoys coaching him in his prime.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Given the pick is top 20 protected next year and then convert to 2 second round picks (which is very likely) I reckon it’s a gamble worth taking for Toronto

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Gladiator wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:27 am
Given the pick is top 20 protected next year and then convert to 2 second round picks (which is very likely) I reckon it’s a gamble worth taking for Toronto
The pick isn't a huge gamble. The real gamble is trading away their franchise player who loved playing there and was in his prime, for a guy who may leave after one year.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am
Gladiator wrote:
The pick isn't a huge gamble. The real gamble is trading away their franchise player who loved playing there and was in his prime, for a guy who may leave after one year.
Derozan isn't a franchise player, he's AASW.

TOO

Post by TOO »

MightyMoog wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Interesting. He's a 4x all-star who played on team USA.. But hey, lets compare his value to that of Brandon Knight. :D
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Interesting. He's a 4x all-star who played on team USA.. But hey, lets compare his value to that of Brandon Knight. :D
Knight was AASE...AASW is significantly better

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Split T wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Gladiator wrote:
Knight was AASE...AASW is significantly better
Definitely a lot better than Knight. But is he better than McCollum or Booker?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yes. He's a tier 2 SG.

Tier 1 is just Harden
Tier 2 is Butler, Oladipo, Klay, Derozan

Booker, McCollum, Beal all in the next tier.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm
Oh ho....

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/1019620334721556482

Mitch Lawrence dude was actually right, wasn't sure what to make of his tweet d other day. I was just sharing lol

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1020049180390195202

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lot of love for OKC here...they saved a lot of money(70 million I think) but I don't really understand why people think Schroeder is a good fit in OKC. I guess he's a bit of a mini Westbrook, so you play him during the 15 minutes Westbrook is on the bench, but can they really play together?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Crazy numbers
One thing, declining production or not one constant in Melo scenarios even from the Knicks days is that the guy always still gets his $$ in the end :shock:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1020047679362039808