2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JustWinBaby

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by JustWinBaby »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:18 am
Wow, what a game. Super excited that the Warriors came back. I picked the Rockets to win the title this year, and at halftime I felt like I had backed the right horse. But I couldn't believe that Houston missed so many shots (many of them open 3s!) in the 3rd quarter. It was like you could feel their whole team tightening up.

How much of this falls on D'Antoni? His teams seem to consistently underachieve in the playoffs. Is it coincidence? Is it because he doesn't trust his bench, and therefore guys like Ryan Anderson and Luc Mbah a Moute end up being worthless in a game where they could have been useful? I still can't believe that the Houston offense was literally "iso-ball" for Harden and Paul the whole game. I found it awful to watch.

And I have to say, for everybody complaining that Harden should have gotten foul calls on 3s: the constant baiting of the refs by Harden, trying to draw cheap ass fouls on 3 point flailing attempts while kicking out his legs and arms, is ridiculous and should not be rewarded by the refs. I really hate this aspect of Harden's otherwise amazing play. He clearly goes out of his way to try to bait the defender into sticking out his arm so that he can go up and get a whistle. Or if a defender is jumping at him, he sprawls out his entire body in the hope of being lightly tapped so that he can act like a grenade went off, falling back into a crumpled heap and hoping for a whistle. It's chickens**t. Refs didn't call that a couple of times? Good. They should have called it zero times.

I'm not trying to be a 100% Warriors apologist here. The Warriors players do many obnoxious things. I hate when they flex their muscles after making a shot. I dislike how Durant also does some of the "shoot into your arm to draw a foul" BS (though less often than Harden). I generally dislike that Durant went to such an already dominant team; bad for the league. I dislike when Draymond Green acts like a thug and a bully on the court. So the Warriors aren't perfect.

But I at least think that the Warriors play a much more beautiful and admirable brand of basketball than the Rockets. I love the passing, the unselfishness (most of the time, cough cough Durant) that they show on their offense. I looooooove that they consistently seem to get young guys involved and into the rotation, like McCaw, Looney, Bell. Despite having such a star-studded starting lineup and an army of cheap vets on the bench, they develop young players and trust them with minutes, even in a critical Game 7. I like Kerr as a coach, and I like him as a person and social/political activist.

Despite any of the flaws or problems with the Warriors team, I don't know how you can watch this game/series and not be awed by Steph Curry. The crazy 3-pointers he makes; he's an assassin. Durant is an amazing player and probably the more talented overall, but when Curry makes 2-3 three-pointers in a row, it just takes all the air out of the building. Breaks their spirits. A generational talent.

As for the Finals, I'll make a separate thread for that. But the short version is that I think the Warriors will make short work of the Cavs, probably winning in 5.
Wow. That was vomit inducing. I'm not even sure you watched the game:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I still can't believe that the Houston offense was literally "iso-ball" for Harden and Paul the whole game. I found it awful to watch.
Dude, Paul was out with an injury.
Classic Warriors fan, has no idea what is actually happening in the games, just likes em because they're good.

:)
It is amazing how uniformed some of the posters on this board are. Mori should be ashamed of himself. Two of MDA's main substitutes have been injured (Ryan Anderson and Mbah Moute) and were worthless when Mike tried to use them. They both are good defenders, passers, rebounders and shooters when healthy. He also did not have a HOF point guard available for the two biggest games of his life. He even tried to give fat, slow and certainly over the hill Joe Johnson time on the court but he sucked. The Rockets shoot 16% from three with 3 important pieces missing and only lose by 9. It is amazing that it was that close.

Quite frankly I think the Warriors got real lucky. As I said in an earlier post it was a perfect storm and the Warriors took full advantage.

The bad part is that I do not see how the Rockets will be near as good next year. Hopefully another team rises and challenges this Warrior team.

I do not know if I can stand another one of their phony celebrations with Steve Kerr's SMUG ass face on full display.

Go Cavaliers - may the GOAT beat the crap out of the Warriors
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:55 am
1. I have no idea how Scott Foster keeps getting these gigs in big games, he is atrocious.
2. D'Antoni needed to make adjustments and just didn't. He still hasn't learned how to stem the tide.
3. Obviously losing CP3 was a huge blow to the flow of the offense and keeping it from getting stagnant.
4. As good as Capela is, the Rockets could really use a steadying force down low, where they could go to possession after possession for easy points.
Brad Stevens didn't stem the tide either. That is everyones hero of this board. What happened?

How could his team ever lose a series?

Oh that's right he was missing two all stars. Well Mike was missing a certain HOF point guard, who directs traffic and two very important role players.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:00 pm
Two of MDA's main substitutes have been injured (Ryan Anderson and Mbah Moute) and were worthless when Mike tried to use them. They both are good defenders, passers, rebounders and shooters when healthy.
:shock:
Now, I just woke up so maybe I'm confused, but are you really trying to say that Ryan Anderson is a good defender?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

In2ition wrote:
As good as Capela is, the Rockets could really use a steadying force down low, where they could go to possession after possession for easy points.
Is there anyone in the entire NBA that can give you that?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Hermen wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
As good as Capela is, the Rockets could really use a steadying force down low, where they could go to possession after possession for easy points.
Yeah, DeAndre Ayton. ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JustWinBaby wrote:
It is amazing how uniformed some of the posters on this board are. Mori should be ashamed of himself. Two of MDA's main substitutes have been injured (Ryan Anderson and Mbah Moute) and were worthless when Mike tried to use them. They both are good defenders, passers, rebounders and shooters when healthy. He also did not have a HOF point guard available for the two biggest games of his life. He even tried to give fat, slow and certainly over the hill Joe Johnson time on the court but he sucked. The Rockets shoot 16% from three with 3 important pieces missing and only lose by 9. It is amazing that it was that close.

Quite frankly I think the Warriors got real lucky. As I said in an earlier post it was a perfect storm and the Warriors took full advantage.

The bad part is that I do not see how the Rockets will be near as good next year. Hopefully another team rises and challenges this Warrior team.

I do not know if I can stand another one of their phony celebrations with Steve Kerr's SMUG ass face on full display.

There's no need to be rude. I have watched several Rockets games this year and every one of their playoff games. You certainly have every right to disagree with my take, but I don't think I am uninformed about the Rockets and how they've been playing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wow, what a game. ...
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I still can't believe that the Houston offense was literally "iso-ball" for Harden and Paul the whole game. I found it awful to watch.
I found your post hurtful (along with JWB's). I don't know if you meant it to be. I think you have a preconception that I never watch games and that maybe influenced how you read my post. I have admitted that I didn't watch many Suns games this year start to finish; probably about 15-20 tops, along with portions of other games. The team was hard to watch, and this season was more about development than wins or entertainment.

But as of March, I have been at home for the past several months with my baby daughter, not at my job, so I have had a lot of free time idle at home with the kiddo. That means I've been watching literally every playoff game start to finish. I am fine with it if you don't like me posting a message praising the Warriors. But I think you went to a different place, assuming I'm ignorant about the game and that I don't even watch. I've been posting pretty regularly during the playoffs and am not just firing off ideas without even watching playoff games.

I certainly did watch Game 7. When I said that the Rockets run iso-ball for Harden and Paul the whole game, I didn't mean in Game 7 specifically; I meant their offense for the season (and the series, prior to Paul's injury) as a whole. Like, that was their game plan. They just decided to let their guards take turns ISOing. They even admit as much.

I've been getting like 3-4 hours of sleep a night for months, and I sometimes say dumb things because of daddy brain. Maybe sleep deprivation is why the posts from you two upset me so much. I wish you would not attack me and my knowledge of the game / whether I watch the game and would instead just respond to the ideas or opinions I stated.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:37 pm
JustWinBaby wrote:

There's no need to be rude. I have watched several Rockets games this year and every one of their playoff games. You certainly have every right to disagree with my take, but I don't think I am uninformed about the Rockets and how they've been playing.
Sorry about that. It was more about how important the injuries were to Mike's rotations. It is as if Mike made the decision to play only 6.5 guys. Two very important players that he played all year long were hurt and could not contribute. While Anderson may not be a great defender, he would have been the sub for Capela and would have brought another dimension and a different look. Mbah Moute's loss was huge. With him healthy he would have had another option other than watching Ariza going 0 for 12 and getting tired chasing Durant all night. Probably the biggest issue for the Rockets. With a healthy Mbah Moute and no Chris Paul I think the Rockets would have beat them in one of those last two games. With everyone healthy, the Rockets probably would have won this series. Of course the Warriors were missing Iggy and will need them against the GOAT.

Mike seems to have the worst luck in history when it comes to the playoffs. I expect that he would have loved to have a full roster at his disposal, he just didn't. He just never uses it as an excuse. It is all the rest of us that do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:46 pm
Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wow, what a game. ...
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I found your post hurtful (along with JWB's). I don't know if you meant it to be. I think you have a preconception that I never watch games and that maybe influenced how you read my post. I have admitted that I didn't watch many Suns games this year start to finish; probably about 15-20 tops, along with portions of other games. The team was hard to watch, and this season was more about development than wins or entertainment.

But as of March, I have been at home for the past several months with my baby daughter, not at my job, so I have had a lot of free time idle at home with the kiddo. That means I've been watching literally every playoff game start to finish. I am fine with it if you don't like me posting a message praising the Warriors. But I think you went to a different place, assuming I'm ignorant about the game and that I don't even watch. I've been posting pretty regularly during the playoffs and am not just firing off ideas without even watching playoff games.

I certainly did watch Game 7. When I said that the Rockets run iso-ball for Harden and Paul the whole game, I didn't mean in Game 7 specifically; I meant their offense for the season (and the series, prior to Paul's injury) as a whole. Like, that was their game plan. They just decided to let their guards take turns ISOing. They even admit as much.

I've been getting like 3-4 hours of sleep a night for months, and I sometimes say dumb things because of daddy brain. Maybe sleep deprivation is why the posts from you two upset me so much. I wish you would not attack me and my knowledge of the game / whether I watch the game and would instead just respond to the ideas or opinions I stated.
Marty, you did take my post the wrong way and for that I'm sorry. I know how tough sleep deprivation is on somebody so please accept my apology. It was mostly my disdain for the Warriors showing through and I admit I don't enjoy reading your rosy posts about the team. They honestly do sicken me a little. And I was joking about you not actually watching the Warriors games. I assumed that you were talking in general and that you had seen the last two games. I guess I was being a bit of an ass so again, I apologize. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:58 pm
Hermen wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:25 pm
In2ition wrote:
Yeah, DeAndre Ayton. ;)
From mid-range, sure. But he was vocal about not wanting to play center in HS and at Arizona. Some said one of his requirements to come to UofA was to make sure he played PF, not C.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 am
Marty, you did take my post the wrong way and for that I'm sorry. I know how tough sleep deprivation is on somebody so please accept my apology. It was mostly my disdain for the Warriors showing through and I admit I don't enjoy reading your rosy posts about the team. They honestly do sicken me a little. And I was joking about you not actually watching the Warriors games. I assumed that you were talking in general and that you had seen the last two games. I guess I was being a bit of an ass so again, I apologize. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Thanks for clarifying. No harm no foul. I will try not to gush about the evil Warriors too much. :-)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:17 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 am
Thanks for clarifying. No harm no foul. I will try not to gush about the evil Warriors too much. :-)
I really did feel bad after reading your post. Remembrances of sleep deprivation when my kids were born came flooding back. It is a physically draining experience. Hang in there!
"Be Legendary."