2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:It's hard to watch these final 4 teams in the playoffs and think we should take a C 1st overall.
I don't really get this argument. There are some 5's that have become outdated but I don't really see them in this draft.

Also, two of the more important players in these series are 5's (horford and Capela)

Do you not think a developed Ayton could play in this series? Bagley? JJJ? Bamba? Carter?
The centers that are valuable at this level are notably ones who are great on *defense*. Horford is also helping their offense a lot, but he's the floor leader of the Celtics' defensive system and that is his greatest value to their team. And Capela is not carrying the Rockets offensively; he's their interior defender.

Ayton is not a good defender.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Ayton is not a good defender.
Because he doesn’t have the instincts, or because he hasn’t had the coaching? He certainly has the physical tools, and he’s only 19.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Ayton is not a good defender.
Because he doesn’t have the instincts, or because he hasn’t had the coaching? He certainly has the physical tools, and he’s only 19.
I think a lot of defense is innate or learned really early on. Like the way some guys anticipate where the ball will be in half a second and get steals, blocks, rebounds, charges that others won't. Part of that won't matter what your coach teaches you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think I have seen a lot of evidence of guys who were noticeably below average defenders in college coming to the NBA and becoming plus defenders in the pros. Not saying it's unheard of, but the idea that you'll just rehabilitate the guy and fix his D is naive I think.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Smart shoots the ball WAY too often.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Boston is a totally different team on the road.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm
Boston is a totally different team on the road.
It's awful to watch. Bunch of weak ass shots near the rim that get blocked and bricked Smart 3s. Also 2 missed dunks. Just awful.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

The commentators keep praising the Cavs defense. And it's better for sure (not sure how much of it is just Smart and Brown sucking though). But they are winning this on offense, shooting 63% overall and 54% from 3.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Very interesting article about D'Antoni and the league high isos the Rockets run and have been successful with (until running into the stacked GSWs). Also, if you keep reading, there is a lot about the Suns' SSOL days and how we should have shot even more threes and we should have had Nash be a lot more aggressive offensively and had him average more like 30 points a game. Nash chimes in too and agrees.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2354 ... op-now-nba
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:37 pm
Very interesting article about D'Antoni and the league high isos the Rockets run and have been successful with (until running into the stacked GSWs). Also, if you keep reading, there is a lot about the Suns' SSOL days and how we should have shot even more threes and we should have had Nash be a lot more aggressive offensively and had him average more like 30 points a game. Nash chimes in too and agrees.

Will he adjust? Nope. Defiant as ever. The only thing that holds him back from being a title winning coach.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Superbone wrote:

Nash could have shot more in the first few years he was here but after that half way through every season his back would act up. Every time that happened his scoring dropped a lot and he stopped taking most outside shots. He was still very effective but his body restricted him a lot.

I really wish he would never had problems with his back.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Hermen wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:59 pm
Smart shoots the ball WAY too often.
He's the G version of PJ Tucker.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:

BBallBreakdown mentioned that in their latest video on the series. They simply mention that it's odd that Mike D, "the architect" of some very subtle offenses run around the league has really simplified the movement and roles for this team. IMO, he dumbed it down for Harden.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

The tissot commercial are the worst ever.

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:59 pm
Superbone wrote:

Nash could have shot more in the first few years he was here but after that half way through every season his back would act up. Every time that happened his scoring dropped a lot and he stopped taking most outside shots. He was still very effective but his body restricted him a lot.

I really wish he would never had problems with his back.
If that were the case, we wouldn't have been able to sign him back.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm
Superbone wrote:

Will he adjust? Nope. Defiant as ever. The only thing that holds him back from being a title winning coach.
From the article:
It's kind of funny that D'Antoni has become the great defender of iso ball. Isos were a last resort for his Suns, with Steve Nash running pick-and-rolls to rip apart defenses. And D'Antoni clashed with superstars at his next stops -- specifically Carmelo Anthony with the New York Knicks and Kobe Bryant with the Los Angeles Lakers -- because they didn't see eye-to-eye on how often to attack one-on-one.

No, this isn't a case of an old coach being too stubborn to change. In the past decade, D'Antoni helped revolutionize the league, serving as a pioneer for the pace-and-space style that makes those Suns seem conservative by modern-day standards.

The Rockets have taken 3-point shooting to historic extremes since D'Antoni arrived in Houston, but he has drastically adapted his system to suit his personnel, particularly probable MVP James Harden and his future Hall of Fame backcourt partner, Chris Paul.

"If the best that we have is an iso, or if my personnel on my team dictates that that is really good, then that's what we're going to do," D'Antoni said during a visit in his office late in the regular season. "I've had trouble in the past because really good players weren't real efficient [on isos]. They weren't real efficient, so I'm looking at the numbers and going, 'Somehow the efficiency has got to go up.'

"Before, we never really wanted to go one-on-one until we had to. With James and Chris, why not? It'd be stupid not to because it yields more points than other stuff."
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Harden going 1on1 after a switch when the floor is spread out is good offense and a different kind of ISO than Anthony mid-range fadeaway after 5 jab steps. Don't Warriors run more iso plays in this matchup than Rockets anyway? I guess the difference is that Harden and Paul pound the ball more before making a move than KD and Curry.

Anyway, Rockets won.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes, really glad to see the Rockets win that one and make it a series. It will be the first time since Durant joined the Warriors that he will play a game 6 in a playoff series.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I want so badly for anyone to knock the Dubs off.. Ugh, I think I dislike that team more than any I can ever recall.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:50 pm
I want so badly for anyone to knock the Dubs off.. Ugh, I think I dislike that team more than any I can ever recall.
Same.
"Be Legendary."