2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:They haven't even won 2 in a row.
Yet. Give it a couple weeks. It's obviously coming.
Maybe! They sure hope so.

It's very uncharacteristic of you to be upset about something that hasn't happened yet and may not happen at all. Why choose to be mad about this instead of your normal "just enjoy the ride" approach? Is it just the fun of hating the villain? Not calling you out, I'm just curious what the juice is for you.
I've been upset about it ever since Durant joined the Warriors and I've complained the whole way kicking and screaming. You haven't been paying attention. It's ruining the competition of the NBA. Luckily for us, we're not going to be competing for real for a couple years anyway.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:I hate Durant and the Warriors so much. They're playing with a stacked deck the likes of which have never been seen before. (Yeah, I'm not talking about the Dream Team but just a regular season NBA team.) I hate the new balance of (lack thereof) power. It just makes the NBA a joke. Maybe the NBA will figure it out after they win 5+ championships in a row.
I don’t understand why the NBA won’t bring me in and give me dictatorial authority to fix these issues.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:I hate Durant and the Warriors so much. They're playing with a stacked deck the likes of which have never been seen before. (Yeah, I'm not talking about the Dream Team but just a regular season NBA team.) I hate the new balance of (lack thereof) power. It just makes the NBA a joke. Maybe the NBA will figure it out after they win 5+ championships in a row.
I don’t understand why the NBA won’t bring me in and give me dictatorial authority to fix these issues.
Remember when Stern disallowed Chris Paul to the Lakers?

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

On the open market, Klay can sign with another team for a maximum of $139 million over four years. He is reportedly considering a four-year, $92 million extension, which would result in him leaving roughly $47 million on the table and saving the Warriors significant money.
How will you guys feel if Klay takes his rumored pay cut to stay in the Bay?

Honestly I think it's nearly as bad as Durant joining them. I have no problem if Klay stays, it's where he's played his whole career and he loves it there, but he's gotta take his money. How do you leave 47 million on the table? Make GS pay you.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Remember when Stern disallowed Chris Paul to the Lakers?
Not in his role as Commissioner, but in his role as manager of The Hornets. Or so he says. Seems kind of ridiculous to me that he was wearing both hats at once.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do root for the Warriors in the playoffs, but I totally agree that it's bad for the league that they got Durant. It ruins the competitive balance of the league. The past few seasons would have been MUCH more interesting with Durant in OKC with Westbrook, or maybe on some other squad like Washington or wherever. If they keep that team together, it will be bad for the whole 2010s decade of the NBA into the 2020s. When teams like Lebron-Cleveland and Harden-Paul-Houston can't compete, that is pretty messed up. I guess in a way it is good that the Suns are bad right now because there'd be no point to even trying to contend this year or next.

Another thing I wanted to mention about the game from the other night is that I didn't like how thuggish Draymond Green was being. Knocking guys over, pushing them down on screens, and just generally looking like he wanted to start a bar fight for the whole game. I don't like that kind of basketball. Reminded me of mid-90s Dennis Rodman. I think the refs should come down hard on that sort of behavior and toss a guy quickly if he's being like that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I do root for the Warriors in the playoffs, but I totally agree that it's bad for the league that they got Durant. It ruins the competitive balance of the league. The past few seasons would have been MUCH more interesting with Durant in OKC with Westbrook, or maybe on some other squad like Washington or wherever. If they keep that team together, it will be bad for the whole 2010s decade of the NBA into the 2020s. When teams like Lebron-Cleveland and Harden-Paul-Houston can't compete, that is pretty messed up. I guess in a way it is good that the Suns are bad right now because there'd be no point to even trying to contend this year or next.

Another thing I wanted to mention about the game from the other night is that I didn't like how thuggish Draymond Green was being. Knocking guys over, pushing them down on screens, and just generally looking like he wanted to start a bar fight for the whole game. I don't like that kind of basketball. Reminded me of mid-90s Dennis Rodman. I think the refs should come down hard on that sort of behavior and toss a guy quickly if he's being like that.
Green should have been tossed in the first two minutes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I do root for the Warriors in the playoffs, but I totally agree that it's bad for the league that they got Durant. It ruins the competitive balance of the league. The past few seasons would have been MUCH more interesting with Durant in OKC with Westbrook, or maybe on some other squad like Washington or wherever. If they keep that team together, it will be bad for the whole 2010s decade of the NBA into the 2020s. When teams like Lebron-Cleveland and Harden-Paul-Houston can't compete, that is pretty messed up. I guess in a way it is good that the Suns are bad right now because there'd be no point to even trying to contend this year or next.

Green should have been tossed in the first two minutes.
Yeah, they sure give him a lot of leeway in complaining to the refs after a foul or technical is called on him.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
On the open market, Klay can sign with another team for a maximum of $139 million over four years. He is reportedly considering a four-year, $92 million extension, which would result in him leaving roughly $47 million on the table and saving the Warriors significant money.

Honestly I think it's nearly as bad as Durant joining them. I have no problem if Klay stays, it's where he's played his whole career and he loves it there, but he's gotta take his money. How do you leave 47 million on the table? Make GS pay you.
Let'em live. It's basketball.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

If you have Morris guarding Thompson why not just sub him with Baynes?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:

As if he is eligible for welfare if he "settles" for $92 million...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

Not my point. I'm not worried about Klay. The warriors ownership doesn't need a discount to keep this team together. They have the best collection of elite talent I've seen in my lifetime. They can pay and will pay to keep it together. They got lucky capwise with Durant and don't need to get lucky again.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:

Not my point. I'm not worried about Klay. The warriors ownership doesn't need a discount to keep this team together. They have the best collection of elite talent I've seen in my lifetime. They can pay and will pay to keep it together. They got lucky capwise with Durant and don't need to get lucky again.
It's not just luck. It's also that they built a team culture where players like coming to work. Klay could go somewhere else and be The Man, and maybe he will. On the Warriors he's not even in the top 3. Most teams lose guys like that no matter what contract they offer. Winning and treating your players right isn't luck.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure, but they got very lucky with the cap spike to get Durant and are lucky Klay is the kind of guy that values experience/culture over money. You said it yourself, most teams lose players like Klay, no matter the contract. They're lucky Klay is wired differently, doesn't want to be the man, and doesn't care about the 47 million he's leaving on the table.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Sure, but they got very lucky with the cap spike to get Durant and are lucky Klay is the kind of guy that values experience/culture over money. You said it yourself, most teams lose players like Klay, no matter the contract. They're lucky Klay is wired differently, doesn't want to be the man, and doesn't care about the 47 million he's leaving on the table.
Klay hasn't left any money on any tables yet, has he? It's a bit presumptive to assume that he's going to take a cut-rate deal. If it happens, okay, but he very well could get the max and put them into the tax. Maybe the team wants to do that to show him appreciation. Maybe they can afford it with all the championships and money they'll be getting. Who knows? I guess my point is I'll believe a player took less money when I see it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Fair enough. But it's been reported that he's willing. We'll see what happens when the time comes.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Klay hasn't left any money on any tables yet, has he? It's a bit presumptive to assume that he's going to take a cut-rate deal. If it happens, okay, but he very well could get the max and put them into the tax. Maybe the team wants to do that to show him appreciation. Maybe they can afford it with all the championships and money they'll be getting. Who knows? I guess my point is I'll believe a player took less money when I see it.
They are already in the tax. By a lot. They paid $137M in salaries this year. They are scheduled to be paying the repeater tax by '19-'20 unless they start getting rid of guys.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Their tax bill alone will be pushing 200 million if they max out Klay and Dray

BlaCkAdDa

Re: RE: Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, Third Round (Conf. Finals)

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Split T wrote:Their tax bill alone will be pushing 200 million if they max out Klay and Dray
So we get a share of that?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:Their tax bill alone will be pushing 200 million if they max out Klay and Dray
That's 3rd world team problems, not problems the champs care about. Quit projecting your money issues on them, NYK, Lakers or any high market teams that have shown no worries about money.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass