With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

pickle

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by pickle »

I just posted on this topic in another thread, so I won't repeat myself here. I'm solidly in camp Doncic.

I'm also curious why there's such push to fix all of our problems at once... is it because of the cap situation? Why can't we take the best player, develop him, and find opportunities to plug in other holes later once this player is truly integrated into our team? At this point I think if we can just develop some of the youngsters we already have we'd plug a couple of holes already. Booker/Jackson/Bender are already plus passers for their position and presumably Jackson and Bender are plus defenders too if they reach their potentials. Rebounding is important but we can fix that problem later. If we had a 35-47 record next year and got another top 5 pick it wouldn't break my heart, as long as we see realistic growth in our young players.

I also haven't completely given up on Marquess but I'm close.

arel123

Luka Dončić Highlights 15 Pts, 4 Ast vs Fenerbahce - Final Four MVP !video

Post by arel123 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Registration is open, but after they register, it basically puts their account in an "unverified" or "inactive" state where it can't post yet. Normally in order to get out of that state you have to do an email verification, but spam accounts were able to verify and then post lots of spam. It became a problem that wore on the mods.

For the time being, I have made it so that it is not possible for users to verify their accounts. They can register, but then in order to get verified and become able to post, an admin has to go in and set the account as Verified manually. If we know of anybody who has a stuck unverified account, they can send email to ***** to get it verified.

Alternatively, we could re-enable user self-verification by email, if the mods would like to deal with any spam that would come in. Thoughts?
Maybe we need to make this info avilable to people who read the board. How about a registry sticky post both on the main forum section and the Suns/NBA one? Seeing new names is so refreshing.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Been a long time since I haven't been a forum admin. As a guildmaster I was dealing with a lot of spam too.
I don't know if there's an option for making people automatically invisible to everybody but the mods. Then when they post something not spam, they can gain full visibility.
At the time it didn't exist so I made a garbage, public folder where they had to post a quick presentation. But that was a lot of spam for only a few real new members...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The thing I enjoy most about this board, besides you charming gents, is the organization of topics and discussions. I think there's a pretty good understanding around here about what is new topic worthy and what should be added to an existing discussion. I also appreciate the efforts of many regulars who initiate routine discussions, and the others who stay out of the way and contribute in a way that doesn't add clutter.

I'm all for allowing some new voices, but I think it should be kept in order as to not give this place the frustrating qualities that can be found on other Suns forums.

I'm all for instabanning the first person to create a meme related topic. I'm only half joking.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:The thing I enjoy most about this board, besides you charming gents, is the organization of topics and discussions. I think there's a pretty good understanding around here about what is new topic worthy and what should be added to an existing discussion. I also appreciate the efforts of many regulars who initiate routine discussions, and the others who stay out of the way and contribute in a way that doesn't add clutter.

I'm all for allowing some new voices, but I think it should be kept in order as to not give this place the frustrating qualities that can be found on other Suns forums.

I'm all for instabanning the first person to create a meme related topic. I'm only half joking.
It took me a long time to come around to how the board does things and then make it my own. I remember thinking you were all a bunch of thread nazis when I first joined.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

LOL. I almost err on the side of caution and triple check certain things before I post because I don't want to be that guy.

It does suck having a thread for every single random thought of all the members. I love 49erswebzone.com but their board is impossible to keep up with. You make a post and 5 minutes later you literally can't find it. It stops being a discussion at that point.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's what I'm talking about. You guys have earned the right to post anything you want at anytime here, but you still think it through because there's a precedent for keeping order.

I think anyone who's been lurking here for a number of years is probably fine. I'd be willing to bet they already understand the unwritten rules. I'm just cautious about opening the flood gates.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Bottom line: this is a great board, and you are all amazing human beings. Never Change.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Welcome arel123! You put those Doncic highlights together? Cool.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Re: Luka Dončić Highlights 15 Pts, 4 Ast vs Fenerbahce - Final Four MVP !video

Post by TOO »

arel123 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
*Likes this post*
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Bruiser

Re: RE: Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Bruiser »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:My worry with Doncic is that he's just ok. I don't think he'll bust and he'll be a very useful player, but I don't really see superstar. His athleticism is pretty meh. I think it's definitely possible he improves that with better training, but I can see it being a limiting factor in his development.

There's less questions with Ayton on what he's capable of doing. Can't teach size and athleticism. You can teach defense. That's no guarantee he ever learns it, but he's not going to be held back by physical limitations. I can't say the same for Doncic.
Yeah, this is not an easy choice although some of us fans give the impression that it is. I just have to trust McDonough and crew that they come to the best choice possible for the Suns on June 21st. All indications are that they are doing their due diligence. Plus, they just happen to have probably the foremost expert on staff about Doncic in coach Kokoskov. We also should have quite a bit of intel on Ayton since he played just down the road. I feel pretty good that we will make the right choice. The thing is, we won't even know if we did until a year or two down the line.
This!

I'd only add that even after two years you cannot tell for sure though because the circumstances and the environment, such as coaching, training, other players, familiy, friends, stress and love etc. can influence the development process of a player and a human being too.

That is also if not even more true if we get it right and pick the "better" player.

It might sound stupid but with this year's top two I sometimes think that there is no better player and they both have equally massive potential but it is all about us and our ability to maximize it.

Maybe in another universe Markelle Fultz had a fantastic rookie season with the Lakers, Suns or even the Sixers (as the third pick).

That is why I think that we as a fanbase should not get too divided on the issue and make sure we welcome and embrace whoever our front office thinks is the best for our team, staff and future.

To be perfectly honest, I was actually hoping a little bit for the second pick while watching the lottery to avoid this crazy drama but at least now we have the Rosenthal Effect (higher expectations -> higher results) going for us.

Go Suns!

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

From the SI Mock Draft...somebody agreed with me, 😁!

16. Suns: Aaron Holiday, PG, UCLA | Jr.
(via Heat)
Height: 6'0" | Weight: 185 | Age: 21 | Last: 16
Stats: 20.3 PPG, 5.8 APG, 43% 3FG

The Suns can help address their need for a lead ball-handler with Holiday, after going with Ayton at center. He has a lot of fans around the league, and is viewed as a safe bet to become a quality contributor. He excels using ball screens and spotting up, and could conceivably become an eventual starting-caliber player, though in likelihood he’ll be most valuable as a third guard. Holiday’s consistent jump shot, defensive toughness and overall moxie could make him a nice fit here, with Elfrid Payton set to hit restricted free agency. Although he doesn’t have star upside, he doesn’t have many holes in his game either, and having two successful brothers who worked to find success in the NBA will be a bonus from a background standpoint.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:02 pm
From the SI Mock Draft...somebody agreed with me, 😁!

16. Suns: Aaron Holiday, PG, UCLA | Jr.
(via Heat)
Height: 6'0" | Weight: 185 | Age: 21 | Last: 16
Stats: 20.3 PPG, 5.8 APG, 43% 3FG

The Suns can help address their need for a lead ball-handler with Holiday, after going with Ayton at center. He has a lot of fans around the league, and is viewed as a safe bet to become a quality contributor. He excels using ball screens and spotting up, and could conceivably become an eventual starting-caliber player, though in likelihood he’ll be most valuable as a third guard. Holiday’s consistent jump shot, defensive toughness and overall moxie could make him a nice fit here, with Elfrid Payton set to hit restricted free agency. Although he doesn’t have star upside, he doesn’t have many holes in his game either, and having two successful brothers who worked to find success in the NBA will be a bonus from a background standpoint.
I don’t think a lot of people around here are going to see the brother thing as a selling point.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like Khyri better than holiday. Khyri looks like an elite defender that can shoot. Holiday is a better bet to be a creator off the dribble, but I don't think either will be great off the dribble.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Holidays assist numbers have gone up in each of his 3 years...he actually breaks that 6 assist barrier in a decent number of games...he's known for having good court vision, for me the X factor in what distinguishes a good PG. I think if we can snag him at 16, we'll be happy. Trae and he are the two PG option I like, provided Doncic isn't in the mix ..too many Bledsoe types in the mix to me otherwise.

Bruiser

Re: RE: Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Bruiser »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:Holidays assist numbers have gone up in each of his 3 years...he actually breaks that 6 assist barrier in a decent number of games...he's known for having good court vision, for me the X factor in what distinguishes a good PG. I think if we can snag him at 16, we'll be happy. Trae and he are the two PG option I like, provided Doncic isn't in the mix ..too many Bledsoe types in the mix to me otherwise.
I've only just watched a few YouTube clips but from the little I've seen, I like Holidays game a lot. Would not be mad at all if we end the first round with Ayton and Holiday in our bag.

The more I think about it the more it seems to me that the NBA draft can be a little bit like those fantasy sports drafts where your later picks could turn out to be much more important than you early ones - even though I know that a comparison of the two processes lacks for several reasons ...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

For those who didn't see the McD interview at the combine:

[youtube][/youtube]
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, OG. I had only seen snippets.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 am
...and 16th should be Holiday. We sit here and complain about PGs, and other than Doncic or dissing the idea of Trae, no discussion.
This isn't a very good draft for point guards.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.