With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

O_Gardino

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 am
Cap wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 am
Indy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 am

Who said he could "just turn it on"? Coaching, practice, and time. He's got the size, athleticism and intelligence to get there.
My point is he couldn't dominate defensively in the Pac-12, which is one of the worst NCAA conferences. So why do we think, even with time, he will show DPOY-type skills at the highest level on the planet?
After how many college basketball games and bad coaching? And I answered your question above.
Maybe that’s a legitimate excuse, and his college performance doesn’t mean he can’t be a great NBA defender. But it certainly doesn’t mean he can. He has never shown that skill. He has the size, athleticism and work ethic, so maybe it’s possible, but he certainly hasn’t proven that he can master the skill. Any talk of him becoming a DPOY-level defender is wildly speculative at best.

And BTW, I still thInk his size is a little overrated. Standing reach and wingspan are more relevant measures of size than height and weight. By those measures, he’s considerably smaller than guys like Gobert and Bamba.
Check out the Sean Miller interview on the new Suns app podcast, The Outlet when you get a chance (near the end). He was asked about Ayton's defensive capabilities.
care to give a recap for those of us who don't want the app?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am pretty sure you will not get an unbiased, public opinion from his college (or high school) coach.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm
I am pretty sure you will not get an unbiased, public opinion from his college (or high school) coach.
No shit. Are you implying that it makes it invalid?
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:06 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:18 am
Having said that, I've been listening to Ayton's high school coach, his college coach, and James Jones and I am now full on team Ayton for our #1 draft pick. The guy is just too big and strong and skilled and continues to get better at every level as well as doesn't miss a workout. He's my guy. Make it so, McD. I think he may be better than Joel Embiid without the injuries and who wouldn't want that?
Embiid is one of the best defensive centers in the game. What makes you think Ayton can just turn that on at the NBA level when he couldn't at the NCAA level?
And Embiid was really good on the defensive end in college.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:47 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Having said that, I've been listening to Ayton's high school coach, his college coach, and James Jones and I am now full on team Ayton for our #1 draft pick. The guy is just too big and strong and skilled and continues to get better at every level as well as doesn't miss a workout. He's my guy. Make it so, McD. I think he may be better than Joel Embiid without the injuries and who wouldn't want that?
Embiid is one of the best defensive centers in the game. What makes you think Ayton can just turn that on at the NBA level when he couldn't at the NCAA level?
You think Ayton was bad in college? You should have seen him in high school. He actually improved quite a bit, and that is a reason for hope that he becomes much much better in the NBA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aside from what currently is trending in the NBA, there are a few things that keep me from going all in on Ayton.

When I look at what pieces are already in place and what can be added to build a championship contender, I the following shopping list:

1. An engine - a facilitator/playmaker
2. Defense - mostly on the interior
3. 3-point shooting

So here is where I arrive at the first issue: Ayton doesn't address any of those things. I think he is going to be really good on the offensive end, but we essentially have two, maybe three 20 ppg scorers in Booker and Jackson (and possibly Warren). I don't think a big man that needs a lot of touches on the offensive end in order to add a substantial amount of value is a recipe for contention.

I also feel less inclined to go all in on Ayton because of the other options that are available. In all honesty, Ayton is probably my fourth preferred prospect in this draft:

1. Luka Doncic
2. Jaren Jackson Jr.
3. Mo Bamba
4. DeAndre Ayton

Doncic is at the top because I believe he can be that engine. But I love what Jackson could be. I think what would make the Suns most effective is being able to field a lineup with a big man that gives you essentially all the advantages of going small on the offensive end while making a game-changing impact on the defensive end. I believe that to be Jackson and to a lesser extent, Bamba. I value those two bigs' ability they've already shown to be defensive playmakers consistently.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You think Ayton was bad in college? You should have seen him in high school. He actually improved quite a bit, and that is a reason for hope that he becomes much much better in the NBA.
No, I don't think he was bad. And I really don't use what a guy does at the HS level as any sort of consideration when evaluating what they'll do at the pro level.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 pm
Aside from what currently is trending in the NBA, there are a few things that keep me from going all in on Ayton.

When I look at what pieces are already in place and what can be added to build a championship contender, I the following shopping list:

3. 3-point shooting

So here is where I arrive at the first issue: Ayton doesn't address any of those things. I think he is going to be really good on the offensive end, but we essentially have two, maybe three 20 ppg scorers in Booker and Jackson (and possibly Warren). I don't think a big man that needs a lot of touches on the offensive end in order to add a substantial amount of value is a recipe for contention.

I also feel less inclined to go all in on Ayton because of the other options that are available. In all honesty, Ayton is probably my fourth preferred prospect in this draft:

1. Luka Doncic
2. Jaren Jackson Jr.
3. Mo Bamba
4. DeAndre Ayton

Doncic is at the top because I believe he can be that engine. But I love what Jackson could be. I think what would make the Suns most effective is being able to field a lineup with a big man that gives you essentially all the advantages of going small on the offensive end while making a game-changing impact on the defensive end. I believe that to be Jackson and to a lesser extent, Bamba. I value those two bigs' ability they've already shown to be defensive playmakers consistently.
Great recap.

Could we choose Jackson or Bamba when all is said and done?

If we draft Doncic could we trade up to get Jackson or Bamba? I would use all of our assets that we have available including our pick next year and the Miami 21 pick. This draft appears to have just what we need. Who knows what we will need in 21, what will be available and where it will land in the draft.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Doncic/Bamba is the dream for me. Seems highly unlikely obviously.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Nope. It will be Ayton.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 pm
Nope. It will be Ayton.
I concur.

GM's just dont pass on "generational" big men. Add that Ayton is basically right in their backyard, no chance they pass on that. None.

I'd prefer Bamba and a perimeter guy, even if its Trae Young. Just think Bamba helps more in the long run. You watched Philly in the playoffs and how their offense stagnated when they had to feed Embiid in the post and he kept missing.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:

3. 3-point shooting

1. Luka Doncic
2. Jaren Jackson Jr.
3. Mo Bamba
4. DeAndre Ayton

Great post. Would you go for JJJ or Bamba at #1 if we were unable to trade down, either because the options are too risky or not worthy?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:03 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
No, I don't think he was bad. And I really don't use what a guy does at the HS level as any sort of consideration when evaluating what they'll do at the pro level.
Of course, that's fine, it helps sometimes show a progress arc. If we never evaluated hs for these 1 and done guys, we may miss a little relevant info.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:

3. 3-point shooting

1. Luka Doncic
2. Jaren Jackson Jr.
3. Mo Bamba
4. DeAndre Ayton

Very good post, and I tend to agree with most of it. I definitely agree on the need for an engine. This is one reason I flop back and forth about Doncic and Ayton. I still lean Ayton, but there are times I feel like you just can't leave the draft without either Doncic or Young, heavy preference on Doncic. I challenge McD to figure out how to come out of the draft with both Ayton and Doncic.

I do disagree with not addressing defense with the Ayton pick, as I think he will improve the interior defense, along with the ability to defend on the perimeter. I also think he will be able to step out to the 3, so he addresses that too, and all these points don't need to be addressed by one player or just this draft, even though it would be nice.

Also, I think the team needs a little interior threat to score, which helps the perimeter, and can give the opposing team fits matching up or creating foul trouble. Not just lob threats in a PnR, but someone who can with high efficiency score on interior defense and double teams, while recognizing open shooters off of the double teams.

1. Ayton
16. Okobo
31. Huerter
59. Peneva

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think with Ayton we'll be a lot like the 2003-04 Suns, just before we got Nash. We'll have great talent at several positions, but no "engine," and therefore we'll be mediocre. That team was fun in some ways, and it brought us the "stinky cheese face" by Marbury after Amare threw down a dunk in-game. But they weren't going anywhere until they found Nash. And the team was always much better without Amare than they were without Nash.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 pm
I think with Ayton we'll be a lot like the 2003-04 Suns, just before we got Nash. We'll have great talent at several positions, but no "engine," and therefore we'll be mediocre. That team was fun in some ways, and it brought us the "stinky cheese face" by Marbury after Amare threw down a dunk in-game. But they weren't going anywhere until they found Nash. And the team was always much better without Amare than they were without Nash.
I had this exact same thought the other day. I think Ayton gives us a ceiling of 7th-10th seed in the West after a couple of seasons, which is basically NBA purgatory. I'm okay with taking him, but we still need a guy to run the show.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
3. 3-point shooting
These are not the only things we need. The team still lacks another player who can impose his will offensively to free Booker as Warren is an oportunistic 20ppg player and Jackson is a work in progress. Rebounding is also a concern. If you draft Ayton, you get that presence while not creating any roster inbalance, and you still have flexibility to fix the other needs. And to be honest, I am comfortable putting the ball on Booker's hands (and Jackson's) going forward, given how he improved this season in the playmaking area.

Btw, JJJ ticks a lot of boxes, but after getting the #1 pick, it would leave a bittersweet taste if he ends up just a role player in the mold of Ibaka. Man the top 5-6 is truly loaded.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm
No shit. Are you implying that it makes it invalid?
I am saying that their livelihood is closely tied to how well they promote their people. So I would take as much stock in what they say about their guy before the draft as I would a campaign leader talking up their candidate. It isn't necessarily invalid, but it is at least 200% over-hyped.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Nope. It will be Ayton.

I concur.

GM's just dont pass on "generational" big men. Add that Ayton is basically right in their backyard, no chance they pass on that. None.

I'd prefer Bamba and a perimeter guy, even if its Trae Young. Just think Bamba helps more in the long run. You watched Philly in the playoffs and how their offense stagnated when they had to feed Embiid in the post and he kept missing.
exactly.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:18 am
INFORMER wrote:
3. 3-point shooting
These are not the only things we need. The team still lacks another player who can impose his will offensively to free Booker as Warren is an oportunistic 20ppg player and Jackson is a work in progress. Rebounding is also a concern. If you draft Ayton, you get that presence while not creating any roster inbalance, and you still have flexibility to fix the other needs. And to be honest, I am comfortable putting the ball on Booker's hands (and Jackson's) going forward, given how he improved this season in the playmaking area.

Btw, JJJ ticks a lot of boxes, but after getting the #1 pick, it would leave a bittersweet taste if he ends up just a role player in the mold of Ibaka. Man the top 5-6 is truly loaded.
I think the "dominating offensive player" comments are really valid. And although rebounding is a concern, I don't think it has to be from a dominant center. I would love to see some fast break basketball from a 6-8, versatile swing grabbing up rebounds and forcing the issue. I think Doncic and do that for us (and Jackson too if his decision making improves). And I know I am hard on him, but if Bender can ever figure it out, he could do a lot of that too.