With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

AmareIsGod

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by AmareIsGod »

Democritus wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 am

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/998958162907574272

I too think that during the euroleague final-four Doncic was really out of shape and this ultimately affected his play. Hence the question regarding his athleticism arouse. Once he gets the right stamina, muscle-fat ratio, etc. we will see a more nimble version of him.
A good time to be really out of shape. A month before the draft when all of the eyes are on you.

Those were some nice highlights though. Pretty smooth.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am
I totally quoted the wrong post! I will blame it on the new look of the board. :P

And I am not going to take the time to search for "idiot" in responses to INF, but it was totally implied. Everyone was saying what a great draft it was. I am thinking a B- was the lowest anyone was willing to give it outside of INF. But looking back, even only 2 years later, how many other players would help us instead of Bender and what we traded to get Chriss?
Some of us are on record as not wanting Chriss from the start. I wanted them to take Sabonis with that #8 pick, else not trade for the pick at all. I was fine with the Bender selection and am still fine with him (though underwhelmed) given his career so far.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I will say that Igor and Doncic might actually salvage Chriss and Bender and/or accelerate their development.

Unless the Suns can do some jedi mind trick leprechaun type luck trade to get both Ayton and Doncic, I may lean Doncic and find a big at 16, trade or FA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gonna be a lot easier to get a wing/guard at 16 than a big. McD has said they'd probably pick different positions at 1 and 16. Top is heavy on bigs, the rest is deep on wings/guards. If Jontay goes back to school, you're picking between Williams and Robinson and both are risky. If we take Doncic, my guess is we try and trade up to snag Wendell Carter if he falls.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am
Gonna be a lot easier to get a wing/guard at 16 than a big. McD has said they'd probably pick different positions at 1 and 16. Top is heavy on bigs, the rest is deep on wings/guards. If Jontay goes back to school, you're picking between Williams and Robinson and both are risky. If we take Doncic, my guess is we try and trade up to snag Wendell Carter if he falls.
I would come away happy with that outcome.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Democritus wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 am

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/998958162907574272

I too think that during the euroleague final-four Doncic was really out of shape and this ultimately affected his play. Hence the question regarding his athleticism arouse. Once he gets the right stamina, muscle-fat ratio, etc. we will see a more nimble version of him.
I was listening to the Inside the Suns podcast this morning and the guest made the same point. He was saying Doncic currently eats whatever he wants and once he gets on an NBA training and eating schedule, his body and even explosiveness may improve.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 am
Indy wrote:
I totally quoted the wrong post! I will blame it on the new look of the board. :P

And I am not going to take the time to search for "idiot" in responses to INF, but it was totally implied. Everyone was saying what a great draft it was. I am thinking a B- was the lowest anyone was willing to give it outside of INF. But looking back, even only 2 years later, how many other players would help us instead of Bender and what we traded to get Chriss?
Some of us are on record as not wanting Chriss from the start. I wanted them to take Sabonis with that #8 pick, else not trade for the pick at all. I was fine with the Bender selection and am still fine with him (though underwhelmed) given his career so far.
Yep, I wanted Sabonis as well and he's been pretty solid thus far. Certainly more consistent than Chriss.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't know anything about the guy making this comment but very interesting if there's any truth to it. And it would be the opposite scenario to what INF proposed.

https://twitter.com/maxmcc11/status/998944727016800256

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I just think the flop potential with Luka is so much higher than with Ayton. It would scare me tobdraft Luka #1.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 am
Indy wrote:

Yep, I wanted Sabonis as well and he's been pretty solid thus far. Certainly more consistent than Chriss.
A lot of us wanted Sabonis. The knock on him was that he didn't have the athleticism to play int he NBA, yet he improved both his quickness and his jumping.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 am
I don't know anything about the guy making this comment but very interesting if there's any truth to it. And it would be the opposite scenario to what INF proposed.

https://twitter.com/maxmcc11/status/998944727016800256

That would change my mind!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder how much of our decision will be based on our GM's desire not to lose his job. Ayton is the "safer" pick; choosing Doncic and having him flop or be mediocre would probably lead to McDo getting axed.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 am
I wonder how much of our decision will be based on our GM's desire not to lose his job. Ayton is the "safer" pick; choosing Doncic and having him flop or be mediocre would probably lead to McDo getting axed.
Well, if the rumors out today are true, and its Sarver that really likes Doncic and the rest of the Suns brass that like Ayton, then maybe its just the opposite. I can see, from a business perspective the appeal of Doncic. Sarver went over to Europe and watched him and saw the Doncic mania everywhere. Doncic will be a cash cow in the same way Yao was for the Rockets.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

All you have to do is figure out a way to get both, and you will have a team of switching 6'7" or taller players, with an engine(Doncic), scorer extreme(Booker), swiss army knives(Jackson, Bender), and anchor(Ayton). Maybe the Suns need to ask the NBA to intervene to complete #TheTimeline

jonh

Post by jonh »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 pm
All you have to do is figure out a way to get both, and you will have a team of switching 6'7" or taller players, with an engine(Doncic), scorer extreme(Booker), swiss army knives(Jackson, Bender), and anchor(Ayton). Maybe the Suns need to ask the NBA to intervene to complete #TheTimeline
Then all the team would have to learn how to do is consistently rebound, defend, and score.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If I'm o the same side as Sarver, that will be a serious identity crisis. You guys know of a good affordable shrink?

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
Then all the team would have to learn how to do is consistently rebound, defend, and score.
And sing and dance.

We’re going to lose anyway, might as well have some fun.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:43 pm
jonh wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
And sing and dance.

We’re going to lose anyway, might as well have some fun.
We'd be the talk of the NBA! (And maybe even Broadway.)
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:44 pm
I can see, from a business perspective the appeal of Doncic. Sarver went over to Europe and watched him and saw the Doncic mania everywhere. Doncic will be a cash cow in the same way Yao was for the Rockets.
That doesn’t make sense to me. Slovenia isn’t nearly the market China is. Not even the same order of magnitude. Even if his experience with Real Madrid also means pulling in some Spanish fans, it's still nothing remotely Yao-like in reach.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:44 pm
I can see, from a business perspective the appeal of Doncic. Sarver went over to Europe and watched him and saw the Doncic mania everywhere. Doncic will be a cash cow in the same way Yao was for the Rockets.
That doesn’t make sense to me. Slovenia isn’t nearly the market China is. Not even the same order of magnitude. Even if his experience with Real Madrid also means pulling in some Spanish fans, it's still nothing remotely Yao-like in reach.

According to this, Slovenia is at best 3% of the cash cow market that China is. Very likely much less than that.

http://beef2live.com/story-world-cattle ... s-0-106905