With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In the immortal words of William Shakespeare, "Ayton, or Doncic, that is the question."

We all know that it's going to come down to these two. I am honestly still undecided. I have been reading a ton of content about both. The good thing is that I agree with the Empire of the Suns podcast that either way, we are not getting a bust. Both of these guys are going to be very good players. We're just going to have to trust that the Suns braintrust (oxymoron? ;)) makes the right decision for our team. This could be a turning point in franchise history.

Dis • cuss
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Re: Ayton, or Doncic, that is the question...

Post by Cap »

To hear Gambo tell it, the decision has already been made.

I honestly don’t know which I prefer. If it were my pick and the draft were right now, I would probably pick Doncic, but it’s such a close call.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Agreed with the idea that we're in good hands either way. As far as business-defining decisions go, we stand to lose a minimal amount of sleep on this one.

Ultimately it comes down to what kind of team you want to build going forward: Do you want a guard-centric offense that plays outside-in or do you want a 2-5 attack that can play more inside-out?

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I think it has to be Ayton. A mobile big with a midrange shot?

Chances are very high that both will not be stars. That hasn’t happened since ‘02, Shaq and Zo.

EDC

Post by EDC »

You watch these highlights of Ayton and he is playing against guys half a foot or more smaller than him. He has all the potential in the world but nothing he has done can make you confident he is going to come in and be a difference maker. He has to get a lot stronger to be able to pull those post up moves against the pros. I think it would take a few years for him to really hit his stride.

I think at this point for our team we need impact now. Doncic may have a lower ceiling but he has proven he isn't going to be a bust. I think the question about his quickness doesn't matter because he isn't going to be running iso's. He will be coming off picks and setting up the offense. His defense is a big question mark but then again so is Aytons.

We want to get back to winning and now isn't the time to roll the dice. We should take the proven talent over the risky high potential.

Cap

Post by Cap »

A history of D’oh!

Top-2 picks in the draft who were immediately followed by clearly superior picks. Some of these are more egregious than others.

1984: Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan
1989: Danny Ferry over Sean Elliott
1990: Derrick Coleman over Gary Payton
1993: Shawn Bradley over Penny Hardaway
1994: Glenn Robinson over Jason Kidd
1995: Joe Smith over Antonio McDyess
1997: Keith Van Horn over Chauncey Billups
1999: Michael Olowokandi over Mike Bibby
2001: Kwame Brown over Tyson Chandler
2001: Tyson Chandler over Pau Gasol
2003: Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony
2006: Andrea Bargnani over LaMarcus Aldridge
2007: Greg Oden over Kevin Durant
2009: Hasheem Thabeet over James Harden
2012: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist over Bradley Beal
2013: Anthony Bennett over Victor Oladipo

There are some pretty bad examples of big over guard/wing, with Bowie-Jordan, Oden-Durant and Thabeet-Harden being the most notable. I’m not seeing a lot of examples the other way around.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Thabeet over Harden? Lol. God I hope that GM is no longer around.

Edit: His name is Chris Wallace and he's still the GM of the Grizzles. He was also responsible for the Pau Gasol trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Anyone want to make an argument for Bagley? Bamba? Porter? JJJ?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Hmmm, I think it might be easier to get someone who can do 80% of what Doncic does. I'm probably 70-25-5 in favor of Ayton, with Bagley holding a little hope, haha.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Hmmm, I think it might be easier to get someone who can do 80% of what Doncic does. I'm probably 70-25-5 in favor of Ayton, with Bagley holding a little hope, haha.
I disagree because Doncic's role involves more decision making and ball handling, which are hard to find at an elite level for a player his size. Ayton, or pretty much any other big man, would likely have a role that's focused on being a defensive anchor, rebounding and post scoring. Those things are easier to get in the league right now, IMO.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Anyone want to make an argument for Bagley? Bamba? Porter? JJJ?
Nope. Although maybe INF will for JJJ. I think he said that's his guy.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In the #1 thread, I picked Doncic. I am now leaning toward Ayton. I just don't see how the Suns can turn away from a generational center after never having had one in our 50 year history after missing out on Kareem Abdul Freaking Jabbar.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OK, added a poll. Now that this ish is real, make your selection. Maybe we can compare it to the OGW thread as we get closer to the draft to see if the will of phx-suns.net has changed at all with time.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:In the #1 thread, I picked Doncic. I am now leaning toward Ayton. I just don't see how the Suns can turn away from a generational center after never having had one in our 50 year history after missing out on Kareem Abdul Freaking Jabbar.
I don't really like this way of thinking. You have to live in the here-and-now.

It is a little frustrating that it's the first time we're in a position to draft a dominant big and they're not as valuable as they used to be. There is certainly a chance that Ayton can effectively move his game outside and become a viable defensive anchor. If both of those things happen, then he'll have been the right choice.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Superbone wrote:In the #1 thread, I picked Doncic. I am now leaning toward Ayton. I just don't see how the Suns can turn away from a generational center after never having had one in our 50 year history after missing out on Kareem Abdul Freaking Jabbar.

It is a little frustrating that it's the first time we're in a position to draft a dominant big and they're not as valuable as they used to be. There is certainly a chance that Ayton can effectively move his game outside and become a viable defensive anchor. If both of those things happen, then he'll have been the right choice.
Dude... I know. Meaning, I don't know. You know?

As far as the here-and-now, what if it's a fleeting thing? Are you really convinced that this is the way all teams will be constructed for now and forever? I'm not. Sure, you put four all-stars on a team including a 7 foot freak that's one of the best shooters on this planet and they're going to be great. I just don't think there's only one way to win. The showtime Lakers were pretty dang good, were they not? I could see the Suns going that route if they can put the right pieces around Booker, Jackson, and Ayton.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Shabazz wrote:

https://youtu.be/0u_u4nlYmNs

carey

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by carey »

Are we picking what we think will happen or what we want to happen?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Are we picking what we think will happen or what we want to happen?
Want.
"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

https://youtu.be/0u_u4nlYmNs
https://youtu.be/1vaQ-Y6kLOM