With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Shabazz

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Shabazz »

https://sports.yahoo.com/shadow-world-d ... 44927.html

Very good article on Ayton’s High School/AAU experience that helps explain his comments. It’s also hard to blame a kid who people have been exploiting for years for wanting to get his.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 am

Very good article on Ayton’s High School/AAU experience that helps explain his comments. It’s also hard to blame a kid who people have been exploiting for years for wanting to get his.
Good article. Thanks. I hope he's able to just concentrate on basketball once he gets here. I also hope everybody here can move forward after we draft him #1 on Thursday. We all know it's pretty much a forgone conclusion, right? Right?
"Be Legendary."

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

UglyTruth wrote: You can sell this point on Ayton being able to walk on water all you want but he has to prove it on the court.
Wait wait... so there will be water on the floor? I always thought they put those guys with giant brooms to prevent it...

SDC

Post by SDC »

that ayton jersey looks like the back of 90s knicks jersey.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 am

Good article. Thanks. I hope he's able to just concentrate on basketball once he gets here. I also hope everybody here can move forward after we draft him #1 on Thursday. We all know it's pretty much a forgone conclusion, right? Right?
I am slowly coming to terms with it and I am looking forward to the many exciting, new prospects as additions to our team. My focus is now shifting towards potential trades up into the top ten or down into the twenties.

https://lavatakes.com/2018/06/19/nba-mock-draft-4-0/

Has anyone seen this? I think it might be pretty good estimate of what we can expect to happen, given what we know right now. Although I have to admit that I would rather trade down and get Donte Divincenzo but what do I know.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:31 pm
Two more days! It can't get here quick enough. Then we can move forward (and complain about the next thing).
It doesn’t work that way. We haven’t moved forward from the Brandon Knight trade, and that was what, three years ago? People who disagree with the picks can and will continue to express their disagreement until they change their minds or get bored of repeating themselves.
Or until the team proves us wrong.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

What’s the Best Possible Accessory Luka Doncic Can Wear for Draft Night?

This one’s easy. He should absolutely haul all of his championship and MVP trophies over to Barclays and set all of them on his green-room table.
This would be great!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:09 am
What’s the Best Possible Accessory Luka Doncic Can Wear for Draft Night?

This one’s easy. He should absolutely haul all of his championship and MVP trophies over to Barclays and set all of them on his green-room table.
This would be great!
As long as his mom is there, I'll be happy. :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
At 1
Ayton (Doncic)

At 16
Okobo (Zhaire, Miles, Walker)

At 31
Thomas (Divincenzo, Milton, Shamet)
Are these who you want, or what you think will happen? And are the parentheticals just your 2nd/3rd/etc choice at that spot?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:36 am
Split T wrote:
At 1
Ayton (Doncic)

At 16
Okobo (Zhaire, Miles, Walker)

At 31
Thomas (Divincenzo, Milton, Shamet)
Are these who you want, or what you think will happen? And are the parentheticals just your 2nd/3rd/etc choice at that spot?
Who I want. Yes, parenthesis are the other guys I'd consider/be ok with at that spot.

SGA is the guy I really want at 16, but I think he is gone for sure now. Thomas and Divincenzo probably don't last to 31, but I threw them on there as I think 16 is too high to take them.

Honestly could have put JJJ, Bagley, and Bamba in parentheses as well. I lean Ayton if we stay at 1, but I'd trade down and pick up more assets. My dream would be to trade down to 3, pick up 19 and 30. Take Doncic or JJJ at 3 and use 16/19/30/31 as trade chips. Either moving up or adding a really good vet.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My worries about Ayton have nothing to do with those interviews or his personality or being a prima donna or whatever. I think we should generally judge these guys by what they do on the court. I agree that overanalyzing some interview from when he was in AAU is grasping at straws and looking for reasons to dislike the guy. I don't like when a player talks about his "brand" (ugh) but I don't hold it against him.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Is Bamba really as frail and skinny as people are saying? I keep hearing that being mentioned on sports radio. If so, that would concern me that he'll get moved around pretty easy in the paint for the first few years until he puts on size.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:52 am
Is Bamba really as frail and skinny as people are saying? I keep hearing that being mentioned on sports radio. If so, that would concern me that he'll get moved around pretty easy in the paint for the first few years until he puts on size.
Yes, he really is that skinny. This is one big advantage Ayton has on the rest of the field. He's got an NBA ready body right now.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He is very skinny, and his height gives him a higher center of gravity. I think the concerns about him getting pushed around are valid. Did you see the Rockets pushing around KAT in the first round? Harden, Gordon, and Tucker were just too strong for KAT to establish position on a lot of plays.

Bamba does look to me like he will be able to add muscle and get strong. Like Chandler, he'll always be skinny. Mobility and positioning are going to be important for him.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 am
My worries about Ayton have nothing to do with those interviews or his personality or being a prima donna or whatever. I think we should generally judge these guys by what they do on the court. I agree that overanalyzing some interview from when he was in AAU is grasping at straws and looking for reasons to dislike the guy. I don't like when a player talks about his "brand" (ugh) but I don't hold it against him.
Those things shouldn't be ignored because they're telling of where a player's head is at and what might be more important to him. Is it money? Fame? A sneaker or clothing line? Or winning titles? Yea you can do both, but maybe try winning and establishing yourself first. If a guy is talking about his "brand" before he's even been drafted, it doesn't sit well. It's like interviewing someone for a job and their first question is about the vacation days/policy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I have a strange feeling we might regret passing on Bagley. I don't really have any evidence to support it, I think he's a better offensive prospect than Ayton, but there's no reason to think he'll be anything but a bad defensive player. I'm really interested to see how these guys turn out

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:44 pm
I have a strange feeling we might regret passing on Bagley. I don't really have any evidence to support it, I think he's a better offensive prospect than Ayton, but there's no reason to think he'll be anything but a bad defensive player. I'm really interested to see how these guys turn out
I feel like it is almost equally possible we will regret taking any of the top 4 bigs and Luka. Really, any of the top 5 picks in this draft have a good chance at being home runs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:49 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:44 pm
I feel like it is almost equally possible we will regret taking any of the top 4 bigs and Luka. Really, any of the top 5 picks in this draft have a good chance at being home runs.
That's true..I think my opinion is clouded a bit on Bagley because I've liked him for a long time and had dreams of Phoenix landing him because this is his hometown. Still, I love his mentality..I think he's the most aggressive big and if I had to bet on one of them being the hardest worker, I'd pick Bagley.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:56 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yes, he really is that skinny. This is one big advantage Ayton has on the rest of the field. He's got an NBA ready body right now.
He has the shoulders and upper body, but he has been skipping leg day.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:56 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
He has the shoulders and upper body, but he has been skipping leg day.
Luckily, that won't be an option with the Suns' training staff.
"Be Legendary."