With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Superbone

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:11 pm

October 4?
And? Was the content dated for you? It was new for me.
Thanks for posting it, but yes, it is a little older than I expected. Anyone want to go look at film of Doncic last summer and the end of this year and see if he has improved any?
OK, good. For anybody that hasn't, like me, it's a great read and gives the full account of Luka Doncic.
Did you read it?
yes i did, several months ago.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

October 4?
Thanks for posting it, but yes, it is a little older than I expected. Anyone want to go look at film of Doncic last summer and the end of this year and see if he has improved any?
Did you read it?
OK, good. For anybody that hasn't, like me, it's a great read and gives the full account of Luka Doncic and his upbringing.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Having said that, I've been listening to Ayton's high school coach, his college coach, and James Jones and I am now full on team Ayton for our #1 draft pick. The guy is just too big and strong and skilled and continues to get better at every level as well as doesn't miss a workout. He's my guy. Make it so, McD. I think he may be better than Joel Embiid without the injuries and who wouldn't want that?
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:18 am
Having said that, I've been listening to Ayton's high school coach, his college coach, and James Jones and I am now full on team Ayton for our #1 draft pick. The guy is just too big and strong and skilled and continues to get better at every level as well as doesn't miss a workout. He's my guy. Make it so, McD. I think he may be better than Joel Embiid without the injuries and who wouldn't want that?
I really like the last part. If the Suns go with Ayton I hope he can at least body shame Chriss into becoming a professional.

I'm still wavering on a daily basis. I was about 90/10 Luka a few days ago, now around 65/35 Luka.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:

October 4?
Did you read it?
You should read it again. His childhood has changed a lot since then.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Embiid is one of the best defensive centers in the game. What makes you think Ayton can just turn that on at the NBA level when he couldn't at the NCAA level?

jonh

Post by jonh »

Hot take--Just watched the NBA combine interview with Mo Bamba--Holy cow. I honestly would be fine trading down to 3, and picking him up.

TOO

Post by TOO »

jonh wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 am
Hot take--Just watched the NBA combine interview with Mo Bamba--Holy cow. I honestly would be fine trading down to 3, and picking him up.
Mo Bamba <3
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:06 am
Superbone wrote:
Embiid is one of the best defensive centers in the game. What makes you think Ayton can just turn that on at the NBA level when he couldn't at the NCAA level?
Who said he could "just turn it on"? Coaching, practice, and time. He's got the size, athleticism and intelligence to get there.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I do like Bamba a lot, and we know how Sarver loves guys who interview well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 am
Based on a single interview?!
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

And a single youtube highlight clip. Though to be fair, I was interested enough in the first interview to watch a second before posting.

Its probably a good thing that my personal opinion isn't going to be heavily relied on by the team come draft night. I might even take a breather from the board for the next few weeks, as there might be a lot of nothing but speculation for the next little bit.

TOO

Post by TOO »

jonh wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am
And a single youtube highlight clip. Though to be fair, I was interested enough in the first interview to watch a second before posting.

Its probably a good thing that my personal opinion isn't going to be heavily relied on by the team come draft night. I might even take a breather from the board for the next few weeks, as there might be a lot of nothing but speculation for the next little bit.

The speculation is the best part.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am

You can bank on it. Not much else to talk about for us Suns fans. Lots of prospects coming through for workouts though. But yeah, there's going to be a whole lot of speculation up until June 21st.

I'll give you this though, Bamba is definitely #1 on the all-interview team. :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Who said he could "just turn it on"? Coaching, practice, and time. He's got the size, athleticism and intelligence to get there.
My point is he couldn't dominate defensively in the Pac-12, which is one of the worst NCAA conferences. So why do we think, even with time, he will show DPOY-type skills at the highest level on the planet?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
My point is he couldn't dominate defensively in the Pac-12, which is one of the worst NCAA conferences. So why do we think, even with time, he will show DPOY-type skills at the highest level on the planet?
After how many college basketball games and bad coaching? And I answered your question above.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
After how many college basketball games and bad coaching? And I answered your question above.
Maybe that’s a legitimate excuse, and his college performance doesn’t mean he can’t be a great NBA defender. But it certainly doesn’t mean he can. He has never shown that skill. He has the size, athleticism and work ethic, so maybe it’s possible, but he certainly hasn’t proven that he can master the skill. Any talk of him becoming a DPOY-level defender is wildly speculative at best.

And BTW, I still thInk his size is a little overrated. Standing reach and wingspan are more relevant measures of size than height and weight. By those measures, he’s considerably smaller than guys like Gobert and Bamba.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You're comparing him to basically the longest individuals the NBA has seen in awhile. 7'1 with a 7'5 wingspan is bigger than 98% of the league.

Tyler Ulis isn't that small when you compare him to Earl Boykins and mugsey bogues

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I would LOVE to sit in on the workouts. I think you can see a lot of what a player is capable of by asking him to do something new and seeing how quickly he picks it up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

Maybe that’s a legitimate excuse, and his college performance doesn’t mean he can’t be a great NBA defender. But it certainly doesn’t mean he can. He has never shown that skill. He has the size, athleticism and work ethic, so maybe it’s possible, but he certainly hasn’t proven that he can master the skill. Any talk of him becoming a DPOY-level defender is wildly speculative at best.

And BTW, I still thInk his size is a little overrated. Standing reach and wingspan are more relevant measures of size than height and weight. By those measures, he’s considerably smaller than guys like Gobert and Bamba.
Check out the Sean Miller interview on the new Suns app podcast, The Outlet when you get a chance (near the end). He was asked about Ayton's defensive capabilities.
"Be Legendary."