Trading Up - Now with a longer title so Cap avoids title length hysteria...:)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Vladimir_Taltos

Trading Up - Now with a longer title so Cap avoids title length hysteria...:)

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Ok, trade options...we stand to benefit from a trade up. So let's face reality...we have 2 viable assests....TJ or Jackson....and p5icks. I like Jackson, so would...

TJ + 2 1sts be enough to get a 2-4 or 5? Asking in a general sense...or maybe Jackson + 2 1s. The you dradt your pick. Worst case I see is Doncic and Bamba. That would leave us a lot healthier, I think...
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Mon May 21, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Re: Trading Up

Post by Split T »

I don't think trading into the top 6 is realistic. We don't have the right pieces. Maybe some team loves Jackson and is willing to accept a deal based around him, but I doubt it. Teams want stars for high lotto picks. Look at 8, 10, 11 as potential trade up spots.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Uh oh, another short thread title.

Cap

Re: Trading Up - Now with a longer title so Cap avoids title length hysteria...:)

Post by Cap »

Thanks for the longer title, Bone. I might have preferred a little less snark. ;)

Vladimir_Taltos

Re: Trading Up - Now with a longer title so Cap avoids title length hysteria...:)

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Oh, come now, your always the straight man...why break tradition. We go way back, in case you don't remember...all the way to the Suns mirc groups alt.xyz. 😁

And this is Vlad...not Bone...👍...though I guess I should acknowledge Bone for being faster on the draw than I...great minds think alike...😂
Last edited by Vladimir_Taltos on Mon May 21, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:36 pm
Thanks for the longer title, Bone. I might have preferred a little less snark. ;)
Come on, Cap. You know I wouldn't do that to you. That was the thread creator in action.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Argh... :oops:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 pm
I don't think trading into the top 6 is realistic. We don't have the right pieces. Maybe some team loves Jackson and is willing to accept a deal based around him, but I doubt it. Teams want stars for high lotto picks. Look at 8, 10, 11 as potential trade up spots.
Yeah, besides Booker and #1, we have no combination of items that would get us into the top 5-7.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we'd have to do something like Josh Jackson + next year's 1st-rounder for Memphis's #4 pick. I don't even know if they'd take that. And I'm not sure it would be worth it. I'd argue that (despite my concerns about Jackson's shooting) that he plus those other assets is probably higher overall expected value than the #4 pick in this draft would net us. The only way I would be more interested in this would be if we had a strong indication that we could get Doncic at #4 and then we were able to take Ayton at #1 and Doncic at #4 after the trade.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think we will find that almost everybody overvalues their draft picks in the period before the draft. When the day actually arrives and they start to see who is and isn't available some will become more realistic and make deals. Many will not.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

I just wish I could fast forward through all the ridiculous “Let’s get Ayton AND Doncic without giving up Booker” talk to the point where it actually happens and I eat crow.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:42 pm
I just wish I could fast forward through all the ridiculous “Let’s get Ayton AND Doncic without giving up Booker” talk to the point where it actually happens and I eat crow.
Well, you know if he says he's thinking of playing another couple years in Europe he's going to fall to #16.

The.... BAM! He signs with us because of Coach Igor!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm
Ok, trade options...we stand to benefit from a trade up. So let's face reality...we have 2 viable assests....TJ or Jackson....and p5icks. I like Jackson, so would...

TJ + 2 1sts be enough to get a 2-4 or 5? Asking in a general sense...or maybe Jackson + 2 1s. The you dradt your pick. Worst case I see is Doncic and Bamba. That would leave us a lot healthier, I think...
I was on the trade board at RealGM in a discussion about trading for the #3 pick. I suggested 16, 31, 59, Milwaukee, and Suns unprotected next year plus Warren. Its a lot to offer, but homers tend to make lowball offers, so I did not want to do that.

The Atlanta folks said they did not think Atlanta could refuse that offer and no one else even tried to compete with it. So that is probably your high end offer. If Luka was available at 3 (or we suddently realize that Porter IS the best player in the draft), I would probably do this. The idea of having a core of Doncic, Booker, Jackson, Bender, and Ayton going forward is too tempting. Plus we still have all of our picks going forward after next year including the Miami pick. AND we have free agency options.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:48 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

I was on the trade board at RealGM in a discussion about trading for the #3 pick. I suggested 16, 31, 59, Milwaukee, and Suns unprotected next year plus Warren. Its a lot to offer, but homers tend to make lowball offers, so I did not want to do that.

The Atlanta folks said they did not think Atlanta could refuse that offer and no one else even tried to compete with it. So that is probably your high end offer. If Luka was available at 3 (or we suddently realize that Porter IS the best player in the draft), I would probably do this. The idea of having a core of Doncic, Booker, Jackson, Bender, and Ayton going forward is too tempting. Plus we still have all of our picks going forward after next year including the Miami pick. AND we have free agency options.
I'd do it. Then you take Ayton 1 and pray that Doncic drops to 3.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Why would Atlanta do that? None of those picks come close to the value of the #3 pick in a draft that everyone says is great.

The Suns and Milwaukee picks are going to be in all likelihood rather later lottery picks or playoff picks ( in Mil's case) just like the #16 pick. #31 pick is basically useless in this case. And Warren isn't exactly a piece to build around, why would they want his contract when they are rebuilding?

I just don't see how we have the pieces to move into the top 5 again without giving up Jackson.

Only way I see it is by including Jackson + all those picks.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:48 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

Someone actually did it!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm
Why would Atlanta do that? None of those picks come close to the value of the #3 pick in a draft that everyone says is great.

The Suns and Milwaukee picks are going to be in all likelihood rather later lottery picks or playoff picks ( in Mil's case) just like the #16 pick. #31 pick is basically useless in this case. And Warren isn't exactly a piece to build around, why would they want his contract when they are rebuilding?

I just don't see how we have the pieces to move into the top 5 again without giving up Jackson.

Here is the response. I think people around the league have a higher opinion of TJ than a lot of Suns fans do.
Not even gonna lie or deny thats a pretty strong offer and Warrens not a bad player at all himself. Theirs no guarantee the Suns don't end up in the top 5 to 8 again next year somehow so you are looking at a very possibly high lottery pick Plus the Hawks high lottery pick themselves next year.
That gives us 4 1st round picks next year Hawks, Cavs, Suns, Bucks 3 this year + 2 near 1st rounders at 16,19, 30, then 31 and 34.
Then you got Warren or Taurean Prince who are both good looking young SF's you could trade either + 16 and 19 to get back into the top 6 to 10 and still take a guy like Porter, Bamba, Young, Sexton etc... if any drop maybe. I really don't see how the Hawks turn this down and this is coming from a guy who is a massive Bagley fan.
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... 5&start=80

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Here is the response. I think people around the league have a higher opinion of TJ than a lot of Suns fans do.
Not even gonna lie or deny thats a pretty strong offer and Warrens not a bad player at all himself. Theirs no guarantee the Suns don't end up in the top 5 to 8 again next year somehow so you are looking at a very possibly high lottery pick Plus the Hawks high lottery pick themselves next year.
That gives us 4 1st round picks next year Hawks, Cavs, Suns, Bucks 3 this year + 2 near 1st rounders at 16,19, 30, then 31 and 34.
Then you got Warren or Taurean Prince who are both good looking young SF's you could trade either + 16 and 19 to get back into the top 6 to 10 and still take a guy like Porter, Bamba, Young, Sexton etc... if any drop maybe. I really don't see how the Hawks turn this down and this is coming from a guy who is a massive Bagley fan.
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewto ... 5&start=80
eye of the beholder. I get that he doesn't have a 3pt shot, but he is one of the most efficient scorers in the front court. Like top 10. And on a great contract.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think anyone who values Ayton should value Warren. Dude can score.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

Warren with Doncic.. Drools.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.