2018 NBA Finals

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: 2018 NBA Finals

Post by TOO »

Haha, I want people to slap Lance Stephenson around too, has little to do with his actual skill, his on-court personality is that of a total sh*tbird.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you like players roughing up the opponent, presumably you liked it when Bob Horry knocked Nash into the scorer's table, leading to Amare and Diaw taking two steps and getting suspended?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 am
If you like players roughing up the opponent, presumably you liked it when Bob H***y knocked Nash into the scorer's table, leading to Amare and Diaw taking two steps and getting suspended?
Again, you’re better than that. Come on, don’t write nonsense that you know isn’t true. What did Nash do to warrant that hip check? If he was out there dancing, staring down his opponent while he was doing it or egging on the crowd while mocking his opponent then absolutely yes.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:15 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
If you like players roughing up the opponent, presumably you liked it when Bob H***y knocked Nash into the scorer's table, leading to Amare and Diaw taking two steps and getting suspended?
Again, you’re better than that. Come on, don’t write nonsense that you know isn’t true. What did Nash do to warrant that hip check? If he was out there dancing, staring down his opponent while he was doing it or egging on the crowd while mocking his opponent then absolutely yes.
It's like the difference between throwing at a batter who hits a home run off you and at a batter because the other team is throwing at you. One is because you're bad at your job, one is because of baseball's "code".

Horry's hip check wasn't part of some code (whether you agree with the supposed code or not) - it was just an out-right dirty play.

It used to be that you were expected to have some restraint and not show the other team up - including not taking needless shot as the buzzer when the game is decided and your team is ahead, and not celebrating every play like you just cured cancer.

It used to be just trash talking on the court, which was just between players. Now we see more and more of the "look at me" celebrations.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm of the idea that it's stupid to throw at someone regardless of the reason.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Who knows why Horry did what he did? Maybe he felt that Nash had done something to deserve it. My point is that if you make the players responsible for policing proper game behavior, you get bad results like that.

Don't you worry about the potential for injury? Suppose that Booker hits a big shot and showboats after. Then the opposing player pops him an elbow, but oops, it knocks Booker off his feet and he tears his ACL. Out for the season. Is that a good outcome? Why do you want players to intentionally physically attack each other? How is that good for the game? I just don't see it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am
specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Who knows why H***y did what he did? Maybe he felt that Nash had done something to deserve it. My point is that if you make the players responsible for policing proper game behavior, you get bad results like that.

Don't you worry about the potential for injury? Suppose that Booker hits a big shot and showboats after. Then the opposing player pops him an elbow, but oops, it knocks Booker off his feet and he tears his ACL. Out for the season. Is that a good outcome? Why do you want players to intentionally physically attack each other? How is that good for the game? I just don't see it.
Nostalgia? It used to be, as Bobster says, part of “the code.” It isn’t anymore. Maybe Sauce just wants everything to be the way it was when he first fell in love with the game.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Who knows why H***y did what he did? Maybe he felt that Nash had done something to deserve it. My point is that if you make the players responsible for policing proper game behavior, you get bad results like that.

I don’t worry about the injury at all. If you disrespect your opponent, you deserve whatever comes at you. Every action has a consequence.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Nostalgia? It used to be, as Bobster says, part of “the code.” It isn’t anymore. Maybe Sauce just wants everything to be the way it was when he first fell in love with the game.
Yes. This dancing and openly mocking your opponent is something the Warriors started. Players may have fought before but they didn’t make a joke of the game. I don’t like this new era of immaturity

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If you do it right, Curry just ends up with a bloody mouth.
"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Exactly
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 am
specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
It's like the difference between throwing at a batter who hits a home run off you and at a batter because the other team is throwing at you. One is because you're bad at your job, one is because of baseball's "code".

H***y's hip check wasn't part of some code (whether you agree with the supposed code or not) - it was just an out-right dirty play.

It used to be that you were expected to have some restraint and not show the other team up - including not taking needless shot as the buzzer when the game is decided and your team is ahead, and not celebrating every play like you just cured cancer.

It used to be just trash talking on the court, which was just between players. Now we see more and more of the "look at me" celebrations.
Well said - that is where I am coming from. Hell Booker I think is becoming a very good trash talker. However I do not remember him showing anyone up and I hope he doesn't. We have sucked so much since he got in the league he really has not had a chance to celebrate much at all. Hopefully that changes sooner than later but I do hope he doesn't act like an arrogant prick, if and when we become a factor, like several of the Warriors do. It is not just Curry.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do think it is odd that you are literally advocating behavior that would be a crime in any other context. If you just walked up to somebody on the street and elbowed them in the mouth, you could get arrested for assault. This is true even if they did something to egg you on first.

Cap

Post by Cap »

LeBron is just ridiculous.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Kevin Love with a nice start to the game as well.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Cleveland turning things around, or Golden State doing rope-a-dope?

TOO

Post by TOO »

So are we good if Ayton ends up Tristan Thompson? :D
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm
So are we good if Ayton ends up Tristan Thompson? :D
I know this is a joke, but he's nothing like Tristan

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Javale McGee is a factor on the finals. Who would've thought?

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

And Rodney Hood.