2018 NBA Finals

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: 2018 NBA Finals

Post by The Bobster »

Cleveland doesn't have the horses.

As a lot of people suspected the real championship series was Warriors vs. Rockets.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Lebron can't win a game when he scores 50, and if he can't win a game when he gets a 30-point triple-double and also gets nice contributions from the likes of Rodney Hood, they don't stand any chance. I feel somewhat sorry for him having to carry this team, but I also think that if he had tried his hardest to keep Kyrie Irving there and be a more collegial teammate to him, he'd still have that better team that could be giving the Warriors more of an even competition.

Durant had a great game. The Warriors are unfair. Having KD there means that even if their other stars like Steph have a horrible game, KD can just bail them out. They look unbeatable.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 pm
If Lebron can't win a game when he scores 50, and if he can't win a game when he gets a 30-point triple-double and also gets nice contributions from the likes of Rodney Hood, they don't stand any chance. I feel somewhat sorry for him having to carry this team, but I also think that if he had tried his hardest to keep Kyrie Irving there and be a more collegial teammate to him, he'd still have that better team that could be giving the Warriors more of an even competition.

Durant had a great game. The Warriors are unfair. Having KD there means that even if their other stars like Steph have a horrible game, KD can just bail them out. They look unbeatable.
The Rockets played them well, I just don't think anybody in the East is nearly good enough to challenge them. I Al Horford or DeMar DeRozan are your best players, you aren't beating the Warriors.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Does Lebron end up in Houston with Paul and Harden? I have no idea how it can happen but if it can be done Morey will get it done.

If Morey were here I expect that he would do everything possible to have us end up with both Ayton and Doncic.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

TOO

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

The Rockets played them well, I just don't think anybody in the East is nearly good enough to challenge them. I Al Horford or DeMar DeRozan are your best players, you aren't beating the Warriors.
A fully healthy Boston team is definitely built to beat the Warriors. They have a great coach, and a load of athletic guys that can guard and score on the wings. I think they are the most well equipped to beat the Warriors if you're talking about teams from the East. I expect them to win 60+ games next year if everyone is fit.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Yep. I'll be curious to see how many consecutive championships they'll have with Durant. 5? 6? I don't see them ending any time soon.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:08 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Yep. I'll be curious to see how many consecutive championships they'll have with Durant. 5? 6? I don't see them ending any time soon.
Call me crazy, but I think next season will be his last with the Warriors.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 am
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

A fully healthy Boston team is definitely built to beat the Warriors. They have a great coach, and a load of athletic guys that can guard and score on the wings. I think they are the most well equipped to beat the Warriors if you're talking about teams from the East. I expect them to win 60+ games next year if everyone is fit.
It easily could have been the Rockets versus the Celtics in the finals and probably should have been.

I agree with your thoughts on Boston but they might have a tougher road next year and I am not a big fan of Horford. Philadelphia should be better and Milwaukee could be really good with Bud as coach. I don't how Morey is going to keep that group together in Houston if Paul wants the max. If they do not challenge the Warriors in the West, who will?

This was the year to stop the Warriors and a Hamstring injury helped them win.

It is going to be an intersting summer.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This year was Houston's best chance. Now they have a really tough decision to make about maxing out Chris Paul. He was such a big part of their team, but the 5-year max will be a killer contract for their team. Can they get him to agree to a 3-year deal?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. I always asked this with Nash and think it came up with Chandler, but is there any way to structure an older player's contract to frontload it and then decrease in the later years?

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:54 am
Agreed. I always asked this with Nash and think it came up with Chandler, but is there any way to structure an older player's contract to frontload it and then decrease in the later years?
Yes but only in the same increments that you can do raises.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:56 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:54 am
Yes but only in the same increments that you can do raises.
Yep. 5% if the player is from another team and 8% if your own FA (assuming said player is on Brid or early Bird rights). Dudley and Frye (Magic) are recent examples of decreasing contracts.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Chris Paul is President of the player's union, so I doubt he'll be agreeing to any discounts.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He's 32. Is anybody going to offer him the full 5 year max? 200ish million going up to 46 million when he's 37? Maybe he gets a 3 year max deal.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is a case where I want another team to stay competitive and I wouldn't mind LeBron joining them just to try to get a little bit of competitive balance in the league.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:07 am
He's 32. Is anybody going to offer him the full 5 year max? 200ish million going up to 46 million when he's 37? Maybe he gets a 3 year max deal.
The Suns would if he were interested.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/careystephen/status/1005295558884376577

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, KD wins Finals MVP. I thought for sure it'd be Curry. Why did they pick KD? Was it just because of his big Game 3?

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:52 pm
Wow, KD wins Finals MVP. I thought for sure it'd be Curry. Why did they pick KD? Was it just because of his big Game 3?
Yes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:52 pm
Really? I knew 100% he was getting it.
"Be Legendary."