Summer League 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Summer League 2018

Post by INFORMER »

I hope it's not. All that has to happen is Ayton has to look dominant and/or Doncic has to look mediocre to awful.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:56 pm
I hope it's not. All that has to happen is Ayton has to look dominant and/or Doncic has to look mediocre to awful.
I'd be very surprised if this happened (and I was on Ayton camp and doubting Doncic's upside). I believe Doncic has a pretty safe floor, unlike Ayton.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:27 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:56 pm
I'd be very surprised if this happened (and I was on Ayton camp and doubting Doncic's upside). I believe Doncic has a pretty safe floor, unlike Ayton.
In other words, Ayton has to look dominant. The question is, when will he be dominant? It might not (probably won't) be immediately.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm
In other words, Ayton has to look dominant. The question is, when will he be dominant? It might not (probably won't) be immediately.
I think it's magically coincide with us getting a better point guard, which could be a year from now. I bet Ayton shows promise in Year 1 but really blossoms in Year 2 when somebody knows how to throw him the ball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:07 pm
Superbone wrote:
I think it's magically coincide with us getting a better point guard, which could be a year from now. I bet Ayton shows promise in Year 1 but really blossoms in Year 2 when somebody knows how to throw him the ball.
I could see that. Although our PGs had better darn learn to make that pass.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:13 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:07 pm
Superbone wrote:
I could see that. Although our PGs had better darn learn to make that pass.
It's going to be a bit of a growing process for everyone. Ayton needs to learn how hold his position, make a target and catch the post entry pass where he wants it too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Speaking of getting Ayton a good PG, I found this interesting:

https://twitter.com/colezwicker/status/1022658226657972224

The recent crop of PGs to come into the league is pretty weak.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

So, kicking the tires with Payton wasn’t the worst possible choice... actually even a solid choice.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:37 pm
Speaking of getting Ayton a good PG, I found this interesting:

https://twitter.com/colezwicker/status/1022658226657972224

The recent crop of PGs to come into the league is pretty weak.
Also noteworthy: how many of those guys actually excel at passing, running an offense, making others better?

The best players of that group are really just skilled scorers/shooters:

Jamal Murray, Kris Dunn, Terry Rozier, D'Angelo Russell. Tyus Jones is really the only with above average point guard skills, but he is has yet to establish himself because he is stuck behind Jeff Teague's contract and vaunted experience.

This is one of the reasons why I place such a premium on Doncic's skillset.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:26 pm
It's going to be a bit of a growing process for everyone. Ayton needs to learn how hold his position, make a target and catch the post entry pass where he wants it too.
I love how you don't have to worry about any of that crap with Jaren Jackson Jr. He just goes out and blocks shots at an elite level and hits 3s like they're layups. That's huge in today's NBA. He is going to be an elite role player that surpasses Draymond Green's value. Too bad he is going to be wasted on the Memphis Mediocrity.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:01 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:26 pm
I love how you don't have to worry about any of that crap with Jaren Jackson Jr. He just goes out and blocks shots at an elite level and hits 3s like they're layups. That's huge in today's NBA. He is going to be an elite role player that surpasses Draymond Green's value. Too bad he is going to be wasted on the Memphis Mediocrity.
That is a good point. I just hope that we are not all regretting picking Ayton anytime in the future.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wanted Doncic more than Ayton only because we needed a PG more than anything but, I am fine with Ayton. Doncic is obviously a more polished player with more experience. I would expect Doncic to play at a higher level than Ayton to start. There will be growing pains with Ayton. That doesn’t mean the pick was a good or bad one yet. I don’t believe we can make that decision for a few years.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:06 pm
I wanted Doncic more than Ayton only because we needed a PG more than anything but, I am fine with Ayton. Doncic is obviously a more polished player with more experience. I would expect Doncic to play at a higher level than Ayton to start. There will be growing pains with Ayton. That doesn’t mean the pick was a good or bad one yet. I don’t believe we can make that decision for a few years.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

:D