Summer League 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Summer League 2018

Post by Mori Chu »

I was as skeptical of picking Ayton as anybody. But I don't see the point of nitpicking him to death after 3-4 summer league games. The whole point of SL is to have an opportunity to learn and grow. I don't expect to see polished finished products out there. I just want him to get reps and get practice playing at this level. I'd be a little worried if he had horrible numbers, but overall he's been pretty impressive I would say. He isn't exactly "dominant," but I don't know if the SL is set up for a big to be dominant if the guards don't do a lot to help make that happen.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I didn't see Robinson get double and triple teamed from the get go. He didnt have the attention of the entire defense on him from the jump, sooooo.. Numbers here mean squat to me.
πŸ‘€ Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:07 pm
I didn't see Robinson get double and triple teamed from the get go. He didnt have the attention of the entire defense on him from the jump, sooooo.. Numbers here mean squat to me.
But the block shots stats have to be eye opening though, no?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And he's affecting the game without the ball. He can be a role playing defensive bigman with elite athleticism like a Camby, DeAndre Jordan, DHow, etc. Their games are different, but the numbers don't necessarily mean squat. I just hope Ayton is as good as advertised offensively and he and Booker can be a legit 1-2 punch inside and out, with guys like Bridges and Ariza being 3pt threats, Jackson being a slasher/defender and maybe Bender being a stretch 4. PG is still the major question mark.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:29 pm
And he's affecting the game without the ball. He can be a role playing defensive bigman with elite athleticism like a Camby, DeAndre Jordan, DHow, etc. Their games are different, but the numbers don't necessarily mean squat. I just hope Ayton is as good as advertised offensively and he and Booker can be a legit 1-2 punch inside and out, with guys like Bridges and Ariza being 3pt threats, Jackson being a slasher/defender and maybe Bender being a stretch 4. PG is still the major question mark.
I'm really curious if McD plans to futher address the PG position before the start of the season. Teodosic or Dragic would be great!
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/1017935176461176832

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am
Ayton is far from a finished product. If people don't know that, I don't know what to tell them.
I don't think a draft pick has to be a finished product to play great in summer league.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:56 pm
Ayton is far from a finished product. If people don't know that, I don't know what to tell them.
I don't think a draft pick has to be a finished product to play great in summer league.
Who said that they did?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Another thing I was encouraged by about Ayton was that even in this short time and small sample size, you can see improvements in his defensive awareness from what he showed at UofA. It's small improvements, but a little higher consistency. He's still not at the level of Mitchell Robinson defensively, but he is improving slowly. I anticipate that he will make even more improvements going into the season, but still get exposed here and there when the games start to count as all rookies do. Lots to be encouraged by, and I really hope that the Suns can clearly communicate their goals for him and what to work on. Crossing my fingers that Ayton camps out in Hakeem's guest house for the next 2 months. I really wish there was a big man coach like Pete Newell around, but it seems that those coaches are all but dead and forgotten nowadays.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A guy like Robinson clearly has a natural instinct for blocking shots. He didn't play last year all and still averaged the most blocks per game in Summer League history. That's not to say Ayton won't improve, but if he's not doing now he probably won't become some shotblocking menace in the future. What's more important is individual and team defense. If he can pick that up from Chandler, he'll be fine. Chandler never averaged more than 2bpg but still won a DPOY.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 pm
Who said that they did?
You implied that by responding to criticisms of his play with that comment.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:37 pm
TheOriginalOriginal wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:07 pm
But the block shots stats have to be eye opening though, no?
Yeah, Robinson looks like he could be a tremendous steal. And you have touted him as a great prospect for awhile, so well done.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:05 pm
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 pm
Who said that they did?
You implied that by responding to criticisms of his play with that comment.
I did not. You totally misunderstood my message and made assumptions. It was totally stand-alone. I said that he's a work in progress. Do you not agree?
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

30 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals for Danuel House yesterday for Houston. I wonder if he has a chance to make the team.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:53 pm
I did not. You totally misunderstood my message and made assumptions. It was totally stand-alone. I said that he's a work in progress. Do you not agree?
I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a stand alone comment. I think any rookie is a work in progress.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 pm
I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a stand alone comment. I think any rookie is a work in progress.
Some are more ready than others. Doncic comes to mind.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Jaren Jackson, Jr. made a subtle play yesterday that showed a lot of promise. He took his man off the dribble from the 3-point line, pulled up, spun, and drop off a pass to a cutting guard for a lay up.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:06 pm
Of course some are more ready than others. I'm not sure about Doncic though. I think for him, it could go either way. It may take some time to adjust to NBA athleticism. It took Saric about a year to adjust.

For Ayton, I don't really see a reason why he shouldn't be NBA ready. Of course, he probably won't come out of the gate averaging 20/10, but he should be an impact player from day one.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 pm
Of course some are more ready than others. I'm not sure about Doncic though. I think for him, it could go either way. It may take some time to adjust to NBA athleticism. It took Saric about a year to adjust.

For Ayton, I don't really see a reason why he shouldn't be NBA ready. Of course, he probably won't come out of the gate averaging 20/10, but he should be an impact player from day one.
The good thing for Ayton is that he doesn't need to be an automatic 20/10 guy right out the gates to be an impact player on this team. He'll probably be 3rd or even 4th option as a rookie and he could excel in that role.

On a separate note, JJ shouldn't be a #1 or #2 option if for some reason they start him. He just needs more work and when he forced the issue at SL, he just didn't look so good.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:23 pm
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 pm

The good thing for Ayton is that he doesn't need to be an automatic 20/10 guy right out the gates to be an impact player on this team. He'll probably be 3rd or even 4th option as a rookie and he could excel in that role.

On a separate note, JJ shouldn't be a #1 or #2 option if for some reason they start him. He just needs more work and when he forced the issue at SL, he just didn't look so good.
Who is the #2 option if not Ayton? Are you still hoping for a trade? These are honest, non-rhetorical questions.

I think Ayton has a chance to put together a very impressive stat line for us. He's already a good scorer and rebounder, and in summer league he showed better passing than you would expect from a rookie. He should get a ton of touches. And with Booker on the court, he won't face 4 defenders like he did in summer league.

Even so, it would be incredibly special if he averages 20/10. Only Shaq and Elton Brand have done it at age 20, and there just are so few 20/10 guys left in the league.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan