Summer League 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Summer League 2018

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:11 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:57 pm
JJ didn't set the world on fire in last year's summer league, nor did he look like a top 4 pick most of the season. He needs this to show off the improvement he's made from last summer and the end of the season. Let's hope he feels that way too, unlike Chriss who felt he'd already arrived and summer league was below him.
Chriss was so freaking bad last summer league. Whatever he did (or ate) in the 3 months between our season ending and Summer league starting set his career back by 2 years. I feel like by the end of this season he still wasn’t back to where he was and the end of his rookie campaign.
Both Chriss and Bender were 2 yrs away from being 2 yrs away. So, they've already gone through 2 yrs and the hope is that Igor has them or gets them on track to being only 2 more years away.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought Jackson was OK in SL and really came on the last few months of the season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 am
I thought Jackson was OK in SL and really came on the last few months of the season.
All true.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/1009928554253963264

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Man, our summer league team is going to be a LOT of fun to watch this year. Can't wait!

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I wonder what Josh Jackson is thinking now. I hope these new additions are motivation for him to work hard and improve his game. He is not the new shiny toy any longer, and next year he will face a lot more scrutiny IMO.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think that's the case. JJ is part of the core and has his role here. It's TJ who will be the odd man out at the SF spot. We need to move him before we end up with another unhappy player.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:15 am
I don't think that's the case. JJ is part of the core and has his role here. It's TJ who will be the odd man out at the SF spot. We need to move him before we end up with another unhappy player.
Agreed. I don’t see how TJ fits here any more. I think they’ll try to move him for a future draft pick (to somewhat offset the Miami pick going out), or an experienced PG or PF.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In terms of SL, can't really get excited. We don't have the roster space for UDFAs. Maybe Ayton plays every other game, JJ plays 2 games, Mikal plays most of them. If we can get Okobo in that'd be great. I suspect he'd look real good in SL and get us all excited. Other than that, can't imagine Chriss or Bender playing in games. They may workout with the team and coaches, but not play in games unless they want to prove something.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
I didn’t mean odd man out, just that a lot of his mistakes were forgiven last year because he was a rookie thrown to the fire. He took a lot of bad shots last year and was out of control at times, somewhat less so towards the end of the year.

Next year that won’t fly, he is not the shiny new rookie anymore and expectations will be higher for him to help lead this team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 am
ShelC wrote:
I didn’t mean odd man out, just that a lot of his mistakes were forgiven last year because he was a rookie thrown to the fire. He took a lot of bad shots last year and was out of control at times, somewhat less so towards the end of the year.

Next year that won’t fly, he is not the shiny new rookie anymore and expectations will be higher for him to help lead this team.
I was thinking something similar. He's going to have to be a lot less reckless this year, because he's got Booker and Ayton on the court with him. It matters if we win, and he can't waste possessions like he did last season.

I think he can play a lot more under control, and that is something I'll enjoy watching hm learn.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think a lot of mistakes and recklessness came because late in the year he was playing with no talent. Booker was out the last 3 weeks of the season when we were tanking so his usage rate (and TOs) jumped. With more talent he can defer to and defenses to take notice of, I think he'll be fine.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Plenty of possibilities for the SL roster - Ayton, Jackson, Bender, Chriss, Ulis, Williams, Bridges, Harrison, King, Okobo, Peters, Reed, House... lots of competition for jobs.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 am
I think a lot of mistakes and recklessness came because late in the year he was playing with no talent. Booker was out the last 3 weeks of the season when we were tanking so his usage rate (and TOs) jumped. With more talent he can defer to and defenses to take notice of, I think he'll be fine.
I agree and hope you’re right.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Geez I forgot about Reed. Really like him too. We got a major jam at the 2/3.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My summer league roster:
PG - Okobo, Harrison
SG - Jackson, King
SF - Bridges, Reed
PF - Bender, Peters
C - Ayton, Chriss

Then fill the rest with guys on our d league team. I don't expect Jackson to play much, same with Bender and Chriss, but I'd like all to be apart of the team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’d be very surprised if Bender and Chriss play SL. Chriss thought he was too good for it last year, let alone a 3rd year.

jonh

Post by jonh »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:28 am
I’d be very surprised if Bender and Chriss play SL. Chriss thought he was too good for it last year, let alone a 3rd year.
I think Chriss ate a fair amount of humble pie during the season (but maybe not as much as he ate actual pie last offseason). I bet he would be willing to come play for at least a game or 2.

Split T

Post by Split T »

jonh wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 am
specialsauce wrote:
I think Chriss ate a fair amount of humble pie during the season (but maybe not as much as he ate actual pie last offseason). I bet he would be willing to come play for at least a game or 2.
Ya, if Jackson is playing, Chriss and Bender can play

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
He wasn't.

"Be Legendary."