Summer League 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Summer League 2018

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:06 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:53 pm
I did not. You totally misunderstood my message and made assumptions. It was totally stand-alone. I said that he's a work in progress. Do you not agree?
I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a stand alone comment. I think any rookie is a work in progress.
Some are more ready than others. Doncic comes to mind.
Of course some are more ready than others. I'm not sure about Doncic though. I think for him, it could go either way. It may take some time to adjust to NBA athleticism. It took Saric about a year to adjust.

For Ayton, I don't really see a reason why he shouldn't be NBA ready. Of course, he probably won't come out of the gate averaging 20/10, but he should be an impact player from day one.
I hope so but he's got a lot to learn. His size and athleticism alone aren't going nearly as far in the pros as they did in college. I do like the teachers we have put around him though. A week with Akeem sure wouldn't hurt.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Assuming no other changes, I'd guess our FGA leaders will be:

1. Booker
2. Warren
3. Knight
4. Jackson/Ayton

Jackson or Ayton may establish themselves as bigger options at some point though and move up this list. Warren is a question mark because someone is going to get minutes cut and it might be him. If we don't bring in another PG, Knight will play a lot and put up shots.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:48 pm

1. Booker
2. Warren
3. Knight
4. Jackson/Ayton

Jackson or Ayton may establish themselves as bigger options at some point though and move up this list. Warren is a question mark because someone is going to get minutes cut and it might be him. If we don't bring in another PG, Knight will play a lot and put up shots.
Possibly one of the most depressing things I've read this summer.

I like to hope that we will play our shooters, run an offense, and if Knight jacks up shots he doesn't play.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We didn't draft Ayton not to get him looks offensively and the sooner we establish him, the more it'll open things up for everyone on the perimeter, namely Booker and Bridges, from 3. Warren will get his but they'll be in the flow of the game. I don't think Igor will let Knight jack 18 shots a night if he's only making 5 of them. And from what we were running in SL, there's going to be a lot of ball movement, screening, dribble handoffs so it won't necessarily be anyone standing around pounding the ball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, Shel. It's a little early to start worrying about our offense and start thinking Knight will be jacking up 20 shots a night.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm
We didn't draft Ayton not to get him looks offensively and the sooner we establish him, the more it'll open things up for everyone on the perimeter, namely Booker and Bridges, from 3.
I don't disagree that is how the Suns will have to play, but I just groan thinking about it because this isn't 1995. Teams will be content to let Ayton work in the post and minimize the Suns 3-point shooting and penetration. That feels like a recipe to be a perennial fringe playoff team, not a contender.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:34 pm
Split T wrote:

1. Booker
2. Warren
3. Knight
4. Jackson/Ayton

Possibly one of the most depressing things I've read this summer.

I like to hope that we will play our shooters, run an offense, and if Knight jacks up shots he doesn't play.
Knight is a shooter. He's also the PG. He's going to have the ball. I never said he'd be jacking up shots, but he's going to get shots. What starting PG isn't one of the leaders in field goal attempts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:

1. Booker
2. Warren
3. Knight
4. Jackson/Ayton

Who knows exactly what the FGA order will be, but I do think there is some insight in your post. Guards and swings take a lot of shots in today's NBA. We may want Ayton shooting 20 times a night, but ultimately he'll only get the shots that the guards pass him. And we don't really have anybody on the roster who is good at running an offense or passing. Josh Jackson is kind of good at it, but only good for his position.

We'll need a better PG if we want to really unlock Ayton's scoring.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, I agree. Ayton may become Amare like on offense with his touches, but I doubt it happens in his rookie year with knight as his PG

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/KLChouinard/status/1018001241899782145

This guy makes Ulis look tall. Unlike Ulis he has Ish Smith level speed. Maybe faster.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That's crazy. How tall is that little dude?

ETA: Googled it. 5' 5". :shock:
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bender and Jackson make the SL SportsCenter top 10:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1018853821014044673

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Airplane mode is in there too. I hope he sticks in the league. I liked him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Book shouting out his ex teammate

https://twitter.com/DevinBook/status/1018946449126580224

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm
ShelC wrote:
We didn't draft Ayton not to get him looks offensively and the sooner we establish him, the more it'll open things up for everyone on the perimeter, namely Booker and Bridges, from 3.
I don't disagree that is how the Suns will have to play, but I just groan thinking about it because this isn't 1995. Teams will be content to let Ayton work in the post and minimize the Suns 3-point shooting and penetration. That feels like a recipe to be a perennial fringe playoff team, not a contender.
We've got to hope that Ayton's post work becomes good enough to warrant a double team. I think Shel is right, and I am just hoping for some of that bball brain in Igor's head to benefit the team. We can't run the same offense we've run the last 3 years, and we know that just dumping it into the big guy isn't a recipe for success in the modern NBA.

Moreover, if we start the season with the roster as currently constructed, I will be the first to give McD the classic Informer F. I think he's planning at least one more move, and I expect Warren will be gone.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, the championship game is going to be a repeat of last year. Blazers vs. Lakers.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just heard a crazy summer league stat on NBA TV. Archie Goodwin is the all-time leading scorer! How's that for data?!
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:27 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm
ShelC wrote:
We've got to hope that Ayton's post work becomes good enough to warrant a double team. I think Shel is right, and I am just hoping for some of that bball brain in Igor's head to benefit the team. We can't run the same offense we've run the last 3 years, and we know that just dumping it into the big guy isn't a recipe for success in the modern NBA.

Moreover, if we start the season with the roster as currently constructed, I will be the first to give McD the classic Informer F. I think he's planning at least one more move, and I expect Warren will be gone.
Im not optimistic about another serious move will be made--I feel like we have the same conversation most offseasons about "I think he's planning at least one more move", usually because the roster doesnt make sense. As much as he acknowledges wanting to make a move, the team usually waits until a blow-up mid season to finally make the roster change. It happended with Bledsoe, Markieff, Dragic, & IT. Its the way McD does business.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. I have no expectation for anymore moves from McD. He'll cut his nose to spite his face to retain "value".

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 pm
So, the championship game is going to be a repeat of last year. Blazers vs. Lakers.
I've watched both and they are both pretty good. I do think the Suns were the best team when at full strength though. Their defense just shut down people inside and out. If it weren't for having to deal with crappy offensive games from Josh and Dragan here and there, they would have won every game by 20+. Unfortunately, they lost Okobo in a game unexpectedly and let that 76er team go on a run. Actually, I think it was for the best, as winning the Summer League title means squat and there was nothing to prove after the first 3 games. I'd rather not take a chance that anyone gets hurt anymore.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass