NBA DRAFT NIGHT 2018

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: NBA DRAFT NIGHT 2018

Post by TOO »

Dallas supposedly has their sights set on Boogie.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Some random thoughts... What a night it was. I woke up at 2 am to watch the draft. And believe me when I say that you overreact emotionally to everything when its 2 or 3 am in the night. I was angry at first, cursing at the tv. Then was ecstatic that we got Mikal. I don't care the slightest for that future pick. God knows maybe Trump nukes the world and puts humanity to rest and we don't have to worry about 2021 :) live the moment guys. Carpe diem!!
But I was so pissed that Dallas got away with Luka. Now we have to watch him 4 times a year against our Suns. Wish Atlanta could grab him. It would certainly be easy to swallow. But anyway now we have Ayton and Mikal I'm 100 % behind these guys. But my real confidence is in Kokoskov though. I think especially Mikal will blossom in his game plan. Regarding Ayton; the man has to work work work. Otherwise, the whole NBA and Joel are waiting to trash his ass.
Last edited by Democritus on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1010345077930057728

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I saw some stuff about nba players making fun of Aytons lack of defense. I hope they continue to trash the hell out of him and piss him off. Gotta love motivation.

Knight? I thought we were done with him. We seriously thinking he’s the guy?

Picking Ayton was kind of a no brainer. Trading for Bridges required a little more thought. We did get a pg at thirty something. Is he really the pg of the future? I don’t know him. We need a pg of the future now, not later. Getting the real PG of the future in free agency will be the real test. We have lots of guys that need to go. Who’s available? Let’s gitter done!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We need a pg of the future now, not later
Wouldn't that be a PG of the present and not of the future? Or also of the future? Then again if Okobo is the PG of the future and the future ends up being the start of the season, then we'd technically have our PG of the future in the present but also technically later?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 pm
That achilles. Mathews should have teached them something. Although I get them. Still, if I were the Mavs, I'd try to force HOU's hand and make a big offer to Capela. You could be getting a perfect fit for your wonderboy while also partially defusing a west contender.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm
I'm just now getting around to seeing what Dallas paid for moving up to get Doncic. Now... in a vacuum, you might say that it was a heavy price to move up 2 spots, but I don't think it was nearly enough. If evaluating strictly by tiers you get possibly the best player in the draft and all you had to give up for the privilege was a protected pick. I think Dallas makes a hard push for Capela and runs out a lineup of DSJ-Matthews-Luka-Barnes-Capela. That team is not that bad. That pick could be bottom of the lottery range.
I'm hearing a lot of speculation about Dallas going after Cousins.

Either way, they could be good. If Luka can play up to his hype, DSJ / Mathews / Barnes are all going to be candidates for Most Improved. They are all capable players who will be better with a real playmaker.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:06 am
That achilles. Mathews should have teached them something. Although I get them. Still, if I were the Mavs, I'd try to force HOU's hand and make a big offer to Capela. You could be getting a perfect fit for your wonderboy while also partially defusing a west contender.
The achilles doesn't scare them. They are specifically targeting players slow enough to play comfortably with 45 year old Dirk.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:

I've felt like Matthews recovered fairly well from the injury. That first season back was rough but he's looked much like himself the last 2 years. His shooting percentages have been a little lower than his Portland averages, but he's on a much worse team with not a lot of offensive options besides Barnes and an end-of-career Dirk. I'm as interested as anyone to see what Cousins' recovery will look like.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Want to see Okobo torch Aaron Craft for 44 points?

https://twitter.com/OttouAnthony/status/999396311253348352

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
The achilles doesn't scare them. They are specifically targeting players slow enough to play comfortably with 45 year old Dirk.
They better not be handing out four-year max contracts based on how well a guy will fit with Dirk for one year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I gotta say, I'm cautiously optimistic about Okobo. He looks like he does a variety of things very well offensively in terms of spot up shooting, off the bounce, stepping in to shoot off screens, keeping defenders on his hip when he drives, changing speeds to create space, PnR reads, playing downhill/north-south, using both hands to dribble and finish (tho he's clearly left dominant). Anyone can look good in highlights, but he doesn't seem to be a 1 trick pony in terms of just shooting or just putting his head down and barreling towards the hoop. The knock is that he's only played PG 1 full season so he's still got a lot to learn. And we know the scouting reports will take away what he's good at, the defenders are bigger and faster in the NBA. But watch this highlight and check out these plays:

:14 seconds - headfake and drive with jumpstop finish over bigger defender
:20 seconds - steal and takes time for fastbreak to develop, changes speeds with spin in the lane
:43- attack off dribble with spin in the lane and finish
:54 - goes wide off PnR to draw big out and create space for his own big - goes over the top of defense
1:02- steps into deep 3 off transition PnR
1:12 - draws 3 defenders off PnR dribble drive into lane and hits his cutter
1:28 - hop step into the lane off fastbreak
1:41 (my favorite) - crosses over on the screen, slows down to put the defender on his hip, waits for the lane to open then gets to the basket in 2 steps for the layup with his right hand
1:49- euro step layup in transition
2:07- Again goes wide off PnR, waits for the 2nd defender to turn his back to the play and turns the corner attacking the basket going right finishing with his left
2:15 - steps into a deep 3 off PnR
2:34 - shows his speed in transition getting into the lane and draws 2-3 defenders for the kickout corner 3

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by ShelC on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:37 am
I gotta say, I'm cautiously optimistic about Okobo. He looks like he does a variety of things very well offensively in terms of spot up shooting, off the bounce, stepping in to shoot off screens, keeping defenders on his hip when he drives, changing speeds to create space, PnR reads, playing downhill/north-south, using both hands to dribble and finish (tho he's clearly left dominant). Anyone can look good in highlights, but he doesn't seem to be a 1 trick pony in terms of just shooting or just putting his head down and barreling towards the hoops. The knock is that he's only played PG 1 full season so he's still got a lot to learn. And we know the scouting reports will take away what he's good at, the defenders are bigger and faster in the NBA. But watch this highlight and check out these plays:

If interested in more Okobo breakdowns someone on reddit did a breakdown of game film here:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
The knock is that he's only played PG 1 full season so he's still got a lot to learn.
I honestly think that's why they drafted him. They mentioned in the press conference yesterday that they were impressed by how much he improved in 6 months. To go from never playing PG to playing it this well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:23 am
Wouldn't that be a PG of the present and not of the future? Or also of the future? Then again if Okobo is the PG of the future and the future ends up being the start of the season, then we'd technically have our PG of the future in the present but also technically later?
I don’t see the Suns winning a championship next year. We have a bunch of young guys who might become something great in the future. Our biggest need is PG on the team imo. I want a team of the furure in place now so they can grow together. The PG is the most i,portant piece IMO.

I don’t know Okobo. Maybe he is our PG of the future. We have gone through about 20 pg’s in the past few years. I suppose it’s possible for a guy taken thirty something in the draft who’s only played one year at PG to become the next Nash/Kidd/KJ. I think it’s a little bit of a long shot though and I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

We have a glut in the middle now and several players have to go. I feel a trade coming and it’s not going to be for a Forward.
Last edited by Nodack on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
I gotta say, I'm cautiously optimistic about Okobo. He looks like he does a variety of things very well offensively in terms of spot up shooting, off the bounce, stepping in to shoot off screens, keeping defenders on his hip when he drives, changing speeds to create space, PnR reads, playing downhill/north-south, using both hands to dribble and finish (tho he's clearly left dominant). Anyone can look good in highlights, but he doesn't seem to be a 1 trick pony in terms of just shooting or just putting his head down and barreling towards the hoop. The knock is that he's only played PG 1 full season so he's still got a lot to learn. And we know the scouting reports will take away what he's good at, the defenders are bigger and faster in the NBA. But watch this highlight and check out these plays:

:14 seconds - headfake and drive with jumpstop finish over bigger defender
:20 seconds - steal and takes time for fastbreak to develop, changes speeds with spin in the lane
:43- attack off dribble with spin in the lane and finish
:54 - goes wide off PnR to draw big out and create space for his own big - goes over the top of defense
1:02- steps into deep 3 off transition PnR
1:12 - draws 3 defenders off PnR dribble drive into lane and hits his cutter
1:28 - hop step into the lane off fastbreak
1:41 (my favorite) - crosses over on the screen, slows down to put the defender on his hip, waits for the lane to open then gets to the basket in 2 steps for the layup with his right hand
1:49- euro step layup in transition
2:07- Again goes wide off PnR, waits for the 2nd defender to turn his back to the play and turns the corner attacking the basket going right finishing with his left
2:15 - steps into a deep 3 off PnR
2:34 - shows his speed in transition getting into the lane and draws 2-3 defenders for the kickout corner 3

[youtube][/youtube]
He looks big in these highlights, too. I see him listed at 6'3", but he just plays bigger than that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have a rule that I always try to have zero expectations from second-round picks. I wasn't mad that, say, Alton Ford didn't pan out for us, because I assume that second-rounders are unlikely to stick in the league and have an impact. So if Okobo ends up being a great PG, awesome, but if he doesn't really accomplish much, I won't be upset.

I have to say that I'm pretty skeptical. He hasn't even played PG for a full year. I have a lot of doubts that a player can learn the position so quickly. And I look at the revolving door of mediocre PGs we brought in last year; most of them showed flashes and had genuine talent, but ultimately they didn't make enough positive impact. I think that's the most likely outcome for any young unheralded PG like Okobo: he has nights where he looks like he gets it, and he has nights where he doesn't do much or where he turns it over and hurts the team.

If he ends up being a great PG, I'll cheer for him loudly. I expect very little.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:23 am
I don’t see the Suns winning a championship next year. We have a bunch of young guys who might become something great in the future. Our biggest need is PG on the team imo. I want a team of the furure in place now so they can grow together. The PG is the most i,portant piece IMO.

I don’t know Okobo. Maybe he is our PG of the future. We have gone through about 20 pg’s in the past few years. I suppose it’s possible for a guy taken thirty something in the draft who’s only played one year at PG to become the next Nash/Kidd/KJ. I think it’s a little bit of a long shot though and I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

We have a glut in the middle now and several players have to go. I feel a trade coming and it’s not going to be for a Forward.
Someone said he's got a lot of Dragic to his game, he doesn't have to be Nash/Kidd/KJ, there are many other PG's who werent them and were more than good enough. I do see the Dragic in Okobos highlight vs Craft, very similar.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Actually, his jumper itself reminds me a ton of James Harden. Looks almost identical to me.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm
Actually, his jumper itself reminds me a ton of James Harden. Looks almost identical to me.
Ya, he's clearly watched a lot of harden