Mikal Bridges, Welcome to Phoenix!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Mikal Bridges, Welcome to Phoenix!

Post by Cap »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 pm
I think by reports we called Philly first.. They called back when Zaire still on board.

Also how on earth could we lottery protect Miamis pick? Say protection kicks in.. What do Philly get.. Our pick? Hardly same thing.
Creative solutions to that sort of thing are possible when you’ve got time to hammer it out, but under the time conditions there was no way to negotiate an agreement with a lot of complicated options and contingencies. You either trade the pick or you don’t.

That’s not getting “played.” That was just the reality of the situation. Unless you think that making this deal in its simple form is worse than not making it at all, McD did his job.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1010349221927518209

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
I think by reports we called Philly first.. They called back when Zaire still on board.

Also how on earth could we lottery protect Miamis pick? Say protection kicks in.. What do Philly get.. Our pick? Hardly same thing.
Creative solutions to that sort of thing are possible when you’ve got time to hammer it out, but under the time conditions there was no way to negotiate an agreement with a lot of complicated options and contingencies. You either trade the pick or you don’t.

That’s not getting “played.” That was just the reality of the situation. Unless you think that making this deal in its simple form is worse than not making it at all, McD did his job.
Time also was running against 76rs, who by all accounts look like the ones who offered the deal. They call and you swiftly say 'sure, MIA pick, but top5 protected'. Same teake it or leave it. I bet they still take it. Look, adding the protection is exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I first saw about the trade, not the product of some time cosuming deep reflection.

The GM needs to have the stones to say no. 'Oh, but Mikal was McD's guy'. Sure. But This draft was loaded. I am positive some other guy (maybe Zhaire, maybe Donte) means 85% of Mikal to you. It's arguable that MIA pick was worth the #10 by itself. The overpay is objectively big and by definition not a good way to do business for PHX. That pick could be the difference for 76rs in a trade for a superstar. Think about it and the sour taste already starts to build up.

Now, the kid is a nice prospect and certainly can become a relevant starter. I won't hate on him because of the move and want him to give the Suns so much that we laugh at the MIA pick, but we'll have to see. McD has gambled with his job here. That pick was meant for higher things, and 76rs knew.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Am I missing something? How can you change the protections on a pick that isn't yours to begin with. Or are you saying they just don't get it at all if it doesn't meet our secondary protections. Why would anybody trade for a pick they might not even get?
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:15 am
Am I missing something? How can you change the protections on a pick that isn't yours to begin with. Or are you saying they just don't get it at all if it doesn't meet our secondary protections. Why would anybody trade for a pick they might not even get?
Under the CBA you are allowed to put protection on the pick you are trading, even if it comes from another team. 76rs did it with the LAL pick when they sent it to BOS (they put top1 protection if I am not mistaken).

And plenty of times you trade for a pick you could en up not getting (think about those 'turns into two second round picks if not conveyed 3-4 years down the road). Obviously they wouldn't agree to heavy protection (say top14), but at the same time, PHX shouldn't have agreed to straight let it go. That's why I suggested top5 protection (would have been ok with top3 too). Or if MIA pick is so valuable to 76rs, then make it just that pick and another asset smaller than #16. Let's not forget we are talking about a trade where PHX is just jumping 5 spots.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That pick was meant for higher things
That's what bothers me. We got a real nice player in Bridges, legit one of the top prospects in the draft, but I was hoping that pick could've been used on a vet who could really move this needle this year or next. I do agree with those who say the Heat org is always on top of things in terms of putting together competitive teams so the pick would most likely be in the 10-20 range by 2021, but consider Riles is 73 years old. He may be gone or less involved with the Heat by 2021 and then, who knows what happens with the team?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's not about jumping 5 spots; the difference between Bridges and DiVincenzo is enormous. It's about getting the team into a winning state.

You can only suck for so long before you lose Devin Booker, and you can only count on future draft picks making or breaking your franchise while you are terrible.

Yeah, it stings to give up a potentially good pick + a potentially good prospect. That pick and Smith could turn out to be better than Bridges.

But right now we have a few very good young players and a little momentum in public opinion. There is some energy around us, and the media (and hopefully some players) expect us to start competing and winning. If we suck again this year, it's going to cost us a ton in terms of public perception, Booker's and Jackson's willingness to stay, and free agents' willingness to come here.

To me, it's a bigger gamble to take DiVincenzo. There is a lot on the line this season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

True. I would've been absolutely dejected had we taken DiVincenzo. In a draft filled with SGs/SFs (most of whom I don't think are even that good), we got arguably the most polished one ready to come play right now.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 am
Cap wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:

Time also was running against 76rs, who by all accounts look like the ones who offered the deal. They call and you swiftly say 'sure, MIA pick, but top5 protected'. Same teake it or leave it. I bet they still take it. Look, adding the protection is exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I first saw about the trade, not the product of some time cosuming deep reflection.
No, it doesn’t actually work that way, because you have to figure out what “Top 5 protected” means. If the pick turns out to be top 5, what do they get instead?

carey

Post by carey »

Should have just said the lower of our pick and the Heat pick. There, done.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1010533900123136000

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:15 am
Under the CBA you are allowed to put protection on the pick you are trading, even if it comes from another team. 76rs did it with the LAL pick when they sent it to BOS (they put top1 protection if I am not mistaken).

And plenty of times you trade for a pick you could en up not getting (think about those 'turns into two second round picks if not conveyed 3-4 years down the road). Obviously they wouldn't agree to heavy protection (say top14), but at the same time, PHX shouldn't have agreed to straight let it go. That's why I suggested top5 protection (would have been ok with top3 too). Or if MIA pick is so valuable to 76rs, then make it just that pick and another asset smaller than #16. Let's not forget we are talking about a trade where PHX is just jumping 5 spots.
So, if we added top 5 protection, and the 2021 pick is #5, the 76ers would have gotten nothing for moving down, correct? So, they'd have to take a gamble that they're getting anything at all. Why would they ever do that? The answer has got to be that they wouldn't. So they say no and we now have DiVencenzo. You have to give something to get something. I'm fine with it. The chances of it being top 3 are very small and McDonough and crew did analysis on that.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:55 am
Now that makes some sense.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
I like the way you're thinking there, but, and I'm not positive about this, but I think that including our own pick in the language of the trade may have actually been bad for our flexibility. The CBA says that you cannot trade away your 1st round pick in consecutive seasons. This includes any trade that even has the potential for trading away your pick. So if we said that our Phoenix Suns 2021 first-round draft pick was possibly going to convey to Philly as part of this deal, it would mean that we would be unable to trade away our own 2020 or 2022 pick in any trade ever. That is a big constraint that could block us from including a needed asset to get an important deal done.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 am

People still want to nail McD to the cross though for trading the MIA pick. They'll be damned if we got a diamond.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 am

People still want to nail McD to the cross though for trading the MIA pick. They'll be damned if we got a diamond.
People are too obsessed with draft picks now. Its a total drag.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am
carey wrote:
Now that makes some sense.
Then what incentive does that give Philly? We still end up in the same position if they were to get the lower pick, which is what people will cry about anyway.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 pm
carey wrote:
I like the way you're thinking there, but, and I'm not positive about this, but I think that including our own pick in the language of the trade may have actually been bad for our flexibility. The CBA says that you cannot trade away your 1st round pick in consecutive seasons. This includes any trade that even has the potential for trading away your pick. So if we said that our Phoenix Suns 2021 first-round draft pick was possibly going to convey to Philly as part of this deal, it would mean that we would be unable to trade away our own 2020 or 2022 pick in any trade ever. That is a big constraint that could block us from including a needed asset to get an important deal done.
Having the Miami pick actually allows us to trade that pick without consequence. Just can't go two consecutive years without a first... It doesn't necessarily have to be your own 1st

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 pm
carey wrote:
Having a pick satisfies the requirement. It does not have to be your own pick. So the Stepien rule would not apply.

“7.03. First Round Draft Choice. No Member may sell its rights to select a player in the first round of any NBA Draft for cash or its equivalent, or trade or exchange its right to select a player in the first round of any NBA Draft if the result of such trade or exchange may be to leave the Member without first-round picks in any two (2) consecutive future NBA Drafts.”

I just don't think Philly would have done the deal if it was the worst of the Miami or our pick. Our pick should be in the 20's. They are not going to do that. They like Mikal and would have been content to keep him. We had to make it worth their while to give him up.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 am
Especially considering all of the turmoil in their FO.
Pretty cool for Philly; fire your top basketball exec and still pull off a great trade, which was made easier, of course, by who was on the other end of the deal. Still impressive though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.