Mikal Bridges, Welcome to Phoenix!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Mikal Bridges, Welcome to Phoenix!

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm
My point was that as it turned out the picks canceled each other out. It's as if we never got the Miami picks and never traded the Lakers pick. Thus, it was Dragic for Knight.
That's not good. And the picks don't cancel each other out. I'm sorry, but that reasoning just doesn't work.

Ryan made a great trade when he dealt Dragic. But the gain of that trade is marginalized because he had to use those two picks to get back one pick that he never should have dealt in the first place. That's not good general managing, and it is sad that so many accept it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:57 pm
We have three starter level guys who could probably play three different positions for long stretches during any given game. This is a good problem to have, if anyone considers it a problem at all. Also, we're in the era of position-less basketball. It doesn't matter who is in which role if they play well together and win games.
There are two statements that give me a visceral reaction lately: “Alex Len” and “positionless basketball.”

If you can’t guard the player you are assigned to defend, you will lose. That has always been the case, and always will be. You can call it whatever you want, but a 6’6 player will almost certainly always be unable to defend a 7’2 player, and the same is true the other way around.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm
You can call it whatever you want, but a 6’6 player will almost certainly always be unable to defend a 7’2 player, and the same is true the other way around.
That's an extreme example and not at all comparable to the players we're discussing. None of them will be guarding guys that much bigger or smaller than them for extended periods. Maybe they will on various possessions, but that depends on the defensive scheme. Position-less is also not simply determined by size but mostly by player skill, of which all three players excel at different things and it can make them complementary of one another.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:42 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 pm
jonh wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 am

Or because he knows if he doesn't win now, he won't have a job to use that 2021 pick. Desperation might have won out over talent evaluation and what 2021 may bring.
He went for a rookie whose position is not a particular need. If it were the kind of desperation you describe, wouldn’t he have used the assets for a vet?
I dont think so, because McD's pitch is about potential, not current performance. If the pieces suck this year, thats because they are so young that they are supposed to--think about what they could BE (in a couple of years). That one idea has allowed him to keep his job while creating the league's worst team for the past 3 years. Going with a veteran undermines the whole argument, because not only does the team suck, but the player is not likely to get better.
Doesn’t knowingly creating a logjam suggest there’s more to it than that? His pitch isn’t going to be helped by trading two picks for a guy who ends up stuck on the bench behind JJ and Warren. He’s got to be counting on Bridges to be a real contributor.

And I hope he has a good plan to relieve the logjam.
it worked well at PG a couple years ago...
Maybe, just maybe, he's learned from his mistakes.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:
My point was that as it turned out the picks canceled each other out. It's as if we never got the Miami picks and never traded the Lakers pick. Thus, it was Dragic for Knight.
That's not good. And the picks don't cancel each other out. I'm sorry, but that reasoning just doesn't work.

Ryan made a great trade when he dealt Dragic. But the gain of that trade is marginalized because he had to use those two picks to get back one pick that he never should have dealt in the first place. That's not good general managing, and it is sad that so many accept it.
Accept it as opposed to what exactly?
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

The only other times that Ryan McDonough has traded up for players have been for Archie Goodwin and Marquese Chriss so if history is any indication, Bridges should work out well.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 pm
The only other times that Ryan McDonough has traded up for players have been for Archie Goodwin and Marquese Chriss so if history is any indication, Bridges should work out well.
That's fair, but the major difference is that everyone thinks Bridges will be a very good pro while most people thought Goodwin and Chriss were risky prospects.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

thank you

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Welcome to the board, JeremyG. I see you've already met the grumps of the hour. :D
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:15 am
Welcome to the board, JeremyG. I see you've already met the grumps of the hour. :D
:lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thanks. And I can see the other way of looking at it. But I like to keep things positive until proven otherwise. :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thanks. And I can see the other way of looking at it. But I like to keep things positive until proven otherwise. :lol:
I like your style. I like to see the glass half full as well.
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

The worst part is that pick wasn't even something he worked for to get. Lance Blanks worked hard to get that LAL unprotected 1st and it's one of the very few good things that Blanks ever did.

Indy

Post by Indy »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

The worst part is that pick wasn't even something he worked for to get. Lance Blanks worked hard to get that LAL unprotected 1st and it's one of the very few good things that Blanks ever did.
Everything I heard said it was actually Babby and Sarver directly negotiating it, not Blanks.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:33 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

The worst part is that pick wasn't even something he worked for to get. L___e B____s worked hard to get that LAL unprotected 1st and it's one of the very few good things that B____s ever did.
Everything I heard said it was actually Babby and Sarver directly negotiating it, not B____s.
I don't think Babby was anything more than a mouth piece for Blanks really.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Accept it as opposed to what exactly?
Not accepting it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Pretty interesting how there's threads specifically for Bridges and even Doncic on this board but nothing for Ayton lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:54 pm
Pretty interesting how there's threads specifically for Bridges and even Doncic on this board but nothing for Ayton lol.
The number one draft pick thread is the Ayton thread. We didn't know we were getting Bridges. Don't read too much into it.
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:54 pm
The number one draft pick thread is the Ayton thread. We didn't know we were getting Bridges. Don't read too much into it.
Number one draft pick thread has discussion about other possible number one pick candidates as well. But yea I get your point.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

The clip about the hitch in his form has gone somewhat viral now.
Last edited by UglyTruth on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.