Mikal Bridges, Welcome to Phoenix!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Mikal Bridges, Welcome to Phoenix!

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:53 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:33 pm
He did make every single shot
He sure did. I just watched some of his highlights and he does that with his 3s, but obviously much faster in a game. Not nearly as noticeable when he is playing full speed.
Good to know. I was wondering if game speed was quite a bit different.
Yeah. It isn't a really fast release because of it. Good thing he hits at such a high rate. I know they track "NBA 3s" in college stats, so does anyone know what his % was there?

jonh

Post by jonh »

Democritus wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:52 pm

https://twitter.com/maxmcc11/status/1011349978491510784

He probably just wanted to give us something to talk about, now that the draft is done. Thanks Mikal!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 pm
It is incredible that Ryan and posters here made the same justifications about the Lakers pick, and that proved to be wrong. So wrong. And yet, here we are again doing the same thing.
Wait...you can't have it both ways. Bridges is the Lakers pick (#10). So you're saying that Bridges is a great player?

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we traded the two Miami picks (#16 and 2021) to get back the Lakers pick (#10). So essentially we traded Dragic for Knight. Not bad in my opinion, considering Dragic wanted out. (Although perhaps Knight was not needed at the time, since we still had Bledsoe.)

In fact, I remember being a little upset at the time because it seemed like the Miami picks were so far in the future and the Lakers pick could be a great pick really soon. Instead, the Lakers pick did not convey until 2018 and we got it back for the Miami picks, so I'm very happy with how it all turned out. Let's see how Knight plays this year.

At least we finally got the better of two brothers (Bridges). :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:16 pm
INFORMER wrote:
It is incredible that Ryan and posters here made the same justifications about the Lakers pick, and that proved to be wrong. So wrong. And yet, here we are again doing the same thing.
Wait...you can't have it both ways. Bridges is the Lakers pick (#10). So you're saying that Bridges is a great player?

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we traded the two Miami picks (#16 and 2021) to get back the Lakers pick (#10). So essentially we traded Dragic for Knight. Not bad in my opinion, considering Dragic wanted out. (Although perhaps Knight was not needed at the time, since we still had Bledsoe.)

In fact, I remember being a little upset at the time because it seemed like the Miami picks were so far in the future and the Lakers pick could be a great pick really soon. Instead, the Lakers pick did not convey until 2018 and we got it back for the Miami picks, so I'm very happy with how it all turned out. Let's see how Knight plays this year.

Not the case. The #10 pick we got for trading Nash. We then got two more for trading Dragic. We turned those 3 first round picks into Bridges and Knight. Knight, the guy that has been one of the worst players in the league since getting here. It was not Dragic for Knight.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:56 pm
JeremyG wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Not the case. The #10 pick we got for trading Nash. We then got two more for trading Dragic. We turned those 3 first round picks into Bridges and Knight. Knight, the guy that has been one of the worst players in the league since getting here. It was not Dragic for Knight.
My point was that as it turned out the picks canceled each other out. It's as if we never got the Miami picks and never traded the Lakers pick. Thus, it was Dragic for Knight.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

My point was that as it turned out the picks canceled each other out. It's as if we never got the Miami picks and never traded the Lakers pick. Thus, it was Dragic for Knight.
Dragic into Knight is bad. And Miami overpayed for Dragic. One step forward two steps back.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Hermen wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:56 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Dragic into Knight is bad. And Miami overpayed for Dragic. One step forward two steps back.
Dragic wanted out. There was no way to keep him at that point.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:

I assume he's getting adjusted to the NBA 3-point line and working on it at a slower speed.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:16 pm
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
As I said, McD did a great job on the Dragic trade.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm
Superbone wrote:

I assume he's getting adjusted to the NBA 3-point line and working on it at a slower speed.
Maybe, but he was bringing the ball down from his head, to his stomach, and then up for his shot. If you practice it that way, it becomes habit.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:44 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Agreed. It is probably the only trade he won. Sigh.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Don't really think that's true.

Getting Bledsoe for Dudley was very good value.

Getting Plumlee, Gerald Green and a 1st for scola was another great trade.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

So if we get the better end of the deal, it's not a credit to our GM- the other team overpaid.

If we get the losing end of the deal, our GM sucks!

Got it, phx-suns is alive and well.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 pm
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

So if we get the better end of the deal, it's not a credit to our GM- the other team overpaid.

Or, the fact that Miami overpayed means our GM did a good job? Which I believe I always said in regards to this trade, including a couple of posts ago. Even in the post you quoted, that's the "one step forward" part.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:14 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:04 pm
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

Or, the fact that Miami overpayed means our GM did a good job? Which I believe I always said in regards to this trade, including a couple of posts ago. Even in the post you quoted, that's the "one step forward" part.
too much logic, Hermen

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pm
Hermen wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Hermen wrote:

Don't really think that's true.

Getting Bledsoe for Dudley was very good value.

Getting Plumlee, Gerald Green and a 1st for scola was another great trade.
That is probably fair. I just am soured on the Scola trade because we used that pick AND TWO MORE FIRST rounders to move up fo Chriss.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Damn I forgot we had Scola at one point. There have been some dark days and low points for us in this decade.

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:49 pm
I truly believe McD's has gambled his job with this move. After the LAL pick, you can't keep supporting him if this move doesn't workout starting this very season.
If Bridges is nothing special, it was a bad trade. McD presumably made the deal because he was confident in his evaluation of Bridges and what he can contribute to this team. If he’s wrong, yeah, it looks bad for him.
Or because he knows if he doesn't win now, he won't have a job to use that 2021 pick. Desperation might have won out over talent evaluation and what 2021 may bring.
He went for a rookie whose position is not a particular need. If it were the kind of desperation you describe, wouldn’t he have used the assets for a vet?
I dont think so, because McD's pitch is about potential, not current performance. If the pieces suck this year, thats because they are so young that they are supposed to--think about what they could BE (in a couple of years). That one idea has allowed him to keep his job while creating the league's worst team for the past 3 years. Going with a veteran undermines the whole argument, because not only does the team suck, but the player is not likely to get better.
Doesn’t knowingly creating a logjam suggest there’s more to it than that? His pitch isn’t going to be helped by trading two picks for a guy who ends up stuck on the bench behind JJ and Warren. He’s got to be counting on Bridges to be a real contributor.

And I hope he has a good plan to relieve the logjam.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:39 pm
jonh wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 am

If Bridges is nothing special, it was a bad trade. McD presumably made the deal because he was confident in his evaluation of Bridges and what he can contribute to this team. If he’s wrong, yeah, it looks bad for him.
Or because he knows if he doesn't win now, he won't have a job to use that 2021 pick. Desperation might have won out over talent evaluation and what 2021 may bring.
He went for a rookie whose position is not a particular need. If it were the kind of desperation you describe, wouldn’t he have used the assets for a vet?
I dont think so, because McD's pitch is about potential, not current performance. If the pieces suck this year, thats because they are so young that they are supposed to--think about what they could BE (in a couple of years). That one idea has allowed him to keep his job while creating the league's worst team for the past 3 years. Going with a veteran undermines the whole argument, because not only does the team suck, but the player is not likely to get better.
Doesn’t knowingly creating a logjam suggest there’s more to it than that? His pitch isn’t going to be helped by trading two picks for a guy who ends up stuck on the bench behind JJ and Warren. He’s got to be counting on Bridges to be a real contributor.

And I hope he has a good plan to relieve the logjam.
it worked well at PG a couple years ago...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

We have three starter level guys who could probably play three different positions for long stretches during any given game. This is a good problem to have, if anyone considers it a problem at all. Also, we're in the era of position-less basketball. It doesn't matter who is in which role if they play well together and win games.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.