Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 am
The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 am
Well, it's not like the regular season starts tomorrow.

Let's wait and see if there are any deals between now and then.
We're on a deadline if we plan to use Sauce's unguaranteed deal.
We already have to waive him to sign Ariza

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 am
Maybe there aren't any decent FA PGs but you could still acquire one via trade.
In 2019, Malcolm Brogdon, TJ McConnell, and Spencer Dinwiddie are all free agents.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:14 am
Superbone wrote:
In 2019, Malcolm Brogdon, TJ McConnell, and Spencer Dinwiddie are all free agents.
I like all three, but I’d like to aim higher than bit players.

Any of these 4 would work for me, Dragic being last unless on a 1-2 year deal:
Irving
Dragic
Walker
Rozier

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Irving
Dragic
Walker
Rozier
I like Walker, but I don't think you can fill the roster with guys that are all looking to shoot it 20+ times a game. Booker, Jackson, and Ayton all are scorers who are going to need/want the ball. And if the Suns retain Warren, that brings us to 4. Walker isn't a pure shooter, isn't a defender, and isn't great at facilitating. If we're playing fantasy basketball, he makes sense.

I know you have had your whether aggressive debates about Kyrie Irving, but I don't think he is leaving Boston to come here, so I'm not going to waste time pining for him.

I'd welcome back Dragic, but I am not sure he is going to opt-out; on the open market, I don't think he gets $20 million a year. Also, I don't think he would trust Ryan again.

Rozier is nice in theory, but the bidding is going to be high for him, and it would be hard for me to invest so much money into a guard that struggles to shoot 40%. He is talented, though, so ultimately, I would be ok with him.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Irving
Dragic
Walker
Rozier
I like Walker, but I don't think you can fill the roster with guys that are all looking to shoot it 20+ times a game. Booker, Jackson, and Ayton all are scorers who are going to need/want the ball. And if the Suns retain Warren, that brings us to 4. Walker isn't a pure shooter, isn't a defender, and isn't great at facilitating. If we're playing fantasy basketball, he makes sense.

I know you have had your whether aggressive debates about Kyrie Irving, but I don't think he is leaving Boston to come here, so I'm not going to waste time pining for him.

I'd welcome back Dragic, but I am not sure he is going to opt-out; on the open market, I don't think he gets $20 million a year. Also, I don't think he would trust Ryan again.

Rozier is nice in theory, but the bidding is going to be high for him, and it would be hard for me to invest so much money into a guard that struggles to shoot 40%. He is talented, though, so ultimately, I would be ok with him.
Fair take. I get the Walker hesitation, but I think Booker and Jackson will do just fine off the ball in an offense with more emphasis on off ball screens and cuts.

I agree Irving, Dragic and Rozier are unlikely, but if the Suns show promise this season I wouldn’t count anybody out without trying. You don’t enter into an off-season with TJ McConnell on your mind, he’s your backup plan C if A and B don’t call you back IMO

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yeah, I was just talking 2018. The question is whether we want to wait a season or not to have a quality starting PG.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am
I think he might but only because of Kokoskov.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yeah, I was just talking 2018.
I know. My point was just that there are better options in free agency next season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:29 pm
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I know. My point was just that there are better options in free agency next season.
Agreed. So you're willing to wait for those versus making a trade now out of our glut of wings?
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 pm
So you're willing to wait for those versus making a trade now out of our glut of wings?
I've always been willing to just roll with Knight, Canaan, and a 3rd guard. But if there is a good trade to be made, then I'm ok with that to. I am willing to wait for the right point guard, not rush to get just any point guard. VanVleet was ok with me because he wouldn't require a huge investment, he shoots the 3 ball well, and he takes care of the basketball and distributes. But Toronto was willing to pay him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm
Superbone wrote:
So you're willing to wait for those versus making a trade now out of our glut of wings?
I've always been willing to just roll with Knight, Canaan, and a 3rd guard. But if there is a good trade to be made, then I'm ok with that to. I am willing to wait for the right point guard, not rush to get just any point guard. VanVleet was ok with me because he wouldn't require a huge investment, he shoots the 3 ball well, and he takes care of the basketball and distributes. But Toronto was willing to pay him.
I think I prefer Harrison to Canaan but we'll see what shakes out at camp. I assume Okobo would be that 3rd point guard. I'm really looking forward to what he shows in summer league.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Yeah, not sure who I prefer there. Probably leaning Shaq at this point because Canaan is a career sub 40% FG shooter. He shoots well from the line though so I don't know. Shaq can't hit the 3 (just like the other Shaq, heh) but he works extremely hard defensively and is a relentless downhill player. Anyway, the Okobo/Canaan/Shaq battle is one that I look forward to watching.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shaq all the way. His intensity adds a ton to this team.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Agreed. So you're willing to wait for those versus making a trade now out of our glut of wings?
Trade for who? This team still has an extended timeline. It's more important to get the right pg than to get one right now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Trade for who? This team still has an extended timeline. It's more important to get the right pg than to get one right now.
Anybody we want that would be attainable via trade. Who do you think is the right pg for this team?
"Be Legendary."

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

I don't mind this deal. I really didn't want them to take on a long term salary for someone mediocre. I do actually buy the mentorship idea with Ariza. Like someone said, he at the very least could help teach some defensive tricks to our young perimeter guys. Hopefully he ups the intensity in practice and create some actual competition for playing time, rather then guys playing by default which I'm not sure was all that helpful.

Don't hate me, but I think Chandler actually helped Len with his D. Len just had stone hands and horrible balance which made him kind of useless on offense. His D was actually pretty good the last season. So maybe there's some merit to the mentor thing?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 pm
Don't hate me, but I think Chandler actually helped Len with his D.
I hate you! Just kidding. I don't think Chandler had any positive impact on Len. Len being pulled in and out of the lineup stunted his growth in my opinion. And Chandler's defense hasn't been good, so I am not sure we can credit him with any of Len's improvement.

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 pm
I hate you! Just kidding. I don't think Chandler had any positive impact on Len. Len being pulled in and out of the lineup stunted his growth in my opinion. And Chandler's defense hasn't been good, so I am not sure we can credit him with any of Len's improvement.
You didn't think Len at least guarded the rim pretty well? I thought he was much better than he was his first few years when he'd always swat at the ball and get fouls. You're absolutely right that Chandler has been awful on D here though. I think most of that is a complete lack of effort and getting older. He obviously used to be quite good and it wasn't all just his athleticism (though a major part for sure.)

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

On Ariza, I can see us trading him to a contender before the deadline. And it wouldn't surprise me if that is some of McD's thinking behind the deal - pick him up for 'free' and turn him into an asset later (to be clear that's not a strategy I support, nor have any evidence to back up - just speculating).

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:47 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 pm
You didn't think Len at least guarded the rim pretty well? I thought he was much better than he was his first few years when he'd always swat at the ball and get fouls. You're absolutely right that Chandler has been awful on D here though. I think most of that is a complete lack of effort and getting older. He obviously used to be quite good and it wasn't all just his athleticism (though a major part for sure.)
Oh I am not disagreeing about Len's defensive improvement. And you're right: Chandler's value on D in his prime wasn't all predicated on athleticism.