Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Post by Mori Chu »

Trevor Ariza signs a 1-year, $15 million deal with the Suns. We have a lot of wings all of a sudden.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2395 ... evor-ariza

(This was already being discussed in the "Suns Offseason" thread, but I think it deserves its own thread. Let's make a thread for each Suns acquisition.)

Mori Chu

Re: Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Post by Mori Chu »

My quick take: I don't get this move. Ariza is okay, but he's old (33) and seems like a guy who would be much more useful on a veteran team going to the playoffs contending for a title. And we already have like 4-5 other swingmen on the roster who need minutes, including our rookie Mikal Bridges who we gave up a valuable 1st round pick for. How is he supposed to get minutes now? Is Ariza going to start at PF? He doesn't rebound well and I don't think he can guard a lot of normal NBA PFs. That seems like a recipe to burn Ariza out with all the banging bigger bodies. And what about Bender and Chriss? Are they just not going to get minutes?

This move really doesn't make sense to me unless they move some other forwards out in a trade. Even if they do, I don't think I would have made this signing. The fact that it's just 1 year is nice, but I still don't think I want Ariza on the roster.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

All the sudden my suggestion for a 1-year $20 million deal for Rajon Rondo doesn't sound so crazy. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 am
My quick take: I don't get this move. Ariza is okay, but he's old (33) and seems like a guy who would be much more useful on a veteran team going to the playoffs contending for a title. And we already have like 4-5 other swingmen on the roster who need minutes, including our rookie Mikal Bridges who we gave up a valuable 1st round pick for. How is he supposed to get minutes now? Is Ariza going to start at PF? He doesn't rebound well and I don't think he can guard a lot of normal NBA PFs. That seems like a recipe to burn Ariza out with all the banging bigger bodies. And what about Bender and Chriss? Are they just not going to get minutes?

This move really doesn't make sense to me unless they move some other forwards out in a trade. Even if they do, I don't think I would have made this signing. The fact that it's just 1 year is nice, but I still don't think I want Ariza on the roster.
Maybe they move Jackson in a big deal for a PG?

Interesting times ahead.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like this move. Ariza is a solid veteran who provides a one-year cap hold. It's basically the same thing Philly did this past season with JJ Redick. He provides positional leadership and is probably the best shooter besides Booker. He's filling the spot we expected Dudley to hold, but he's not good for anything but lame social media posts.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

One way to look at this signing is that this is the equivalent of JJ Redick signing the 1 year $20M deal with Philly last summer. Many people credit Redick for helping change the culture in the locker room and helping them become a winning team last season.

I'm guessing the Suns are hoping Ariza does the same thing here.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I agree with the last two posts that Redick is the model they were going after.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:22 am
One way to look at this signing is that this is the equivalent of JJ Redick signing the 1 year $20M deal with Philly last summer.
The Sixers didn't have an NBA caliber shooting guard on the roster. So that move was understandable because it addressed a huge gaping hole. It was an overpay, but that was probably the only way they could Redick on one year deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

McDonough has been talking this off-season about getting a PG and a stretch 4. I assume Ariza is the stretch 4. There does seem to be a glut at the forward position now and I'd guess that Warren is the odd man out. It will be interesting to see what McD does at PG.
"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 am
McDonough has been talking this off-season about getting a PG and a stretch 4. I assume Ariza is the stretch 4. There does seem to be a glut at the forward position now and I'd guess that Warren is the odd man out. It will be interesting to see what McD does at PG.
He's gonna do what Sarver did back in the day when he sold draft picks and then announced players coming from injuries as the "draftee".

Brandon Knight coming back will be our free agent signing at PG.
Last edited by UglyTruth on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 am
He's gonna do what Sarver did back in the when he sold draft picks and then announced players coming from injuries as the "draftee".

Brandon Knight coming back will be our free agent signing at PG.
Let's hope not.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

David Griffin likes it but what does he know?

[youtube][/youtube]
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:33 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:22 am
One way to look at this signing is that this is the equivalent of JJ Redick signing the 1 year $20M deal with Philly last summer.
The Sixers didn't have an NBA caliber shooting guard on the roster. So that move was understandable because it addressed a huge gaping hole. It was an overpay, but that was probably the only way they could Redick on one year deal.
This is the fatal flaw in the logic, I think. I would have loved this approach if it had been used on a point guard, but a small forward??

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:00 am
David Griffin has been kissing Robert Sarver's ass for a while now and it's obvious if you watch NBATV a lot. He's having a hard time finding an NBA FO job again so I'm sure he's hoping his old boss Sarver and McD notice him hyping up the team so that maybe throw a bone his way and bring him on in an assistant role.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

UglyTruth wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:40 am
Superbone wrote:
David Griffin has been kissing Robert Sarver's ass for a while now and it's obvious if you watch NBATV a lot. He's having a hard time finding an NBA FO job again so I'm sure he's hoping his old boss Sarver and McD notice him hyping up the team so that maybe throw a bone his way and bring him on in an assistant role.
So David Griffin is wrong and doesn't know what he's talking about. Refuting without counter facts and instead conjecture. Got it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I had suggested one year $15-20 mil for Rondo, this is the same type of move. The Suns are a team of mostly 22 and under players. They really need a prominent vet presence. Arias is that. He is about changing the culture, especially defensively. One year deal. Good. We did not tie up big bucks on a marginal pg.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
Griffin is exactly right.

AbeVroman

Post by AbeVroman »

Give me Ariza over Rondo every time. He will be a great presence for our young guys. Feels like there's a bigger move coming. I"m guessing Warren will be gone at some point this year...keep thinking Indiana would be a good fit for him.

I do think we should make some kind of offer to VanVleet if we are able.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vanvleet already resigned with Toronto

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

This must be their aggressive plan during free agency.