Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Post by INFORMER »

Gladiator wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:04 pm
On Ariza, I can see us trading him to a contender before the deadline. And it wouldn't surprise me if that is some of McD's thinking behind the deal - pick him up for 'free' and turn him into an asset later (to be clear that's not a strategy I support, nor have any evidence to back up - just speculating).
One of the issues with that is that $15 million is a substantial amount to try to match in a trade in-season. Ariza is going to have value for contenders, so you're looking at taking on approximately $13 million in salary from a contender that has to be expiring in order for the Suns to maintain their 2019 cap space. Those are very restrictive parameters to try to construct any sort of meaningful deal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I really don't think McD's plan was to sign Ariza with the intention of trading him at the trade deadline.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Agreed.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 am
You don’t enter into an off-season with TJ McConnell on your mind, he’s your backup plan C if A and B don’t call you back IMO
It just depends on what your team needs. I think McConnell is exactly what the Suns need: smart, relentless competitor, takes care of the ball, can run the offense, great for chemistry. I don't think they need another guy to come in and look for his own offense and try to score 20 a game.

The Suns have their Big 3; we just need to give them time and space to grow. And we need to surround them with players that are going to cover their deficiencies and complement them. Defense, passing, shooting: those are my priorities. I also would like to stop acquiring players that play the same positions as our guys that should be getting 30+ minutes a night.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:26 am
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:14 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 am
Maybe there aren't any decent FA PGs but you could still acquire one via trade.
In 2019, Malcolm Brogdon, TJ McConnell, and Spencer Dinwiddie are all free agents.
I like all three, but I’d like to aim higher than bit players.

Any of these 4 would work for me, Dragic being last unless on a 1-2 year deal:
Irving
Dragic
Walker
Rozier
I like Walker, but I don't think you can fill the roster with guys that are all looking to shoot it 20+ times a game. Booker, Jackson, and Ayton all are scorers who are going to need/want the ball. And if the Suns retain Warren, that brings us to 4. Walker isn't a pure shooter, isn't a defender, and isn't great at facilitating. If we're playing fantasy basketball, he makes sense.

I know you have had your whether aggressive debates about Kyrie Irving, but I don't think he is leaving Boston to come here, so I'm not going to waste time pining for him.

I'd welcome back Dragic, but I am not sure he is going to opt-out; on the open market, I don't think he gets $20 million a year. Also, I don't think he would trust Ryan again.

Rozier is nice in theory, but the bidding is going to be high for him, and it would be hard for me to invest so much money into a guard that struggles to shoot 40%. He is talented, though, so ultimately, I would be ok with him.
I remember you being quite high on Brandon Knight prior to him coming to the Suns. However he came into a mess and was really treated with little respect.It appears that he is now recovered from his surgery in shape and doing all the right things. I really am looking forward to seeing how he works out in Igor's system, with what looks like a pretty positive clubhouse. I also am very interested in seeing Okobo as well as potentially Harrison and Canaan. I really liked what I saw from them in their brief time with us last year. This is why I am not dissappointed at all in the Ariza signing. Could the money we gave him have been spent more wisely, possibly, but as you guys indicate the free agent pool is better for what we may need next summer than it is this summer. I am willing to give Knight a chance along with Chriss, Bender, Warren, Jackson, Harrison and Canaan to earn their spots in the league. I think Igor will give them all a shot if they put in the work. Really looking forward to next year and that will be the first year in a very long time.

I was hoping for Dragic this summer but that looks like it has to wait, so be it. My hope is that Knight turns into a legit PG while Chriss and Bender play well enough to keep Ariza on the bench.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:34 pm
specialsauce wrote:
You don’t enter into an off-season with TJ McConnell on your mind, he’s your backup plan C if A and B don’t call you back IMO
It just depends on what your team needs. I think McConnell is exactly what the Suns need: smart, relentless competitor, takes care of the ball, can run the offense, great for chemistry. I don't think they need another guy to come in and look for his own offense and try to score 20 a game.

The Suns have their Big 3; we just need to give them time and space to grow. And we need to surround them with players that are going to cover their deficiencies and complement them. Defense, passing, shooting: those are my priorities. I also would like to stop acquiring players that play the same positions as our guys that should be getting 30+ minutes a night.
I agree. I think McConnell would be perfect for this team and I would be very happy going into the season with him being our starting pg. Since it's not happening, I hope the current group can hold down the fort in the meantime.
"Be Legendary."

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

I like McConnell as well.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:34 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Good post, I can’t argue with that.

I do think 1 year of Ariza is good for Bridges, Jackson and Bender in the long run, so I will continue to disagree on that point, but your overall plan I don’t disagree with.

The key is finding quality players that encompass the bold statement.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I like the Ariza signing. He's a veteran player that can still defend and of course knock down the 3. He should be a good teacher for Bridges and Jackson as well as be a good locker room guy. Also, to the people saying that they don't understand why Ariza choose the Suns and he could've gone to another playoff caliber team,.....you're right. But, let's not forget that Ariza already has a ring with the Lakers in '09. So technically he doesn't have to "ring chase."
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Ariza signing good for bridges etc makes about as much sense as Chandler having mentored Len.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Alex Len needed a real big with low post game to make him better. I wonder if Len ever went to Houston over the summer and worked with Olajuwon.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 am
Ariza signing good for bridges etc makes about as much sense as Chandler having mentored Len.
This is deeply flawed logic right here.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

n4th4n wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 am
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 am
This is deeply flawed logic right here.
Actually, is not, but it doesn’t works in the direction he implies. :lol:

carey

Post by carey »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:00 am
Alex Len needed a real big with low post game to make him better. I wonder if Len ever went to Houston over the summer and worked with Olajuwon.
No but he did work out with Tim Duncan one offseason.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

At some point the blame has to fall on Len, not his mentors or coaches. How many times do you think he was told "DO NOT BRING THE BALL DOWN BEFORE YOU DUNK IT" and how many times did he do that every year he was here? If Bridges and Jackson are adept learners, Ariza will help them, even if it's just a little bit.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:17 am
At some point the blame has to fall on Len, not his mentors or coaches. How many times do you think he was told "DO NOT BRING THE BALL DOWN BEFORE YOU DUNK IT" and how many times did he do that every year he was here? If Bridges and Jackson are adept learners, Ariza will help them, even if it's just a little bit.
I don't think anyone but Len is ultimately responsible for the results, but I don't think he got very good coaching here and he may very well be more productive somewhere else. I think last year Len was much more deserving of playing time than Chriss or Bender. (and I like Bender)

At some over the last two years they should have just said "we're going to play him 30 minutes a night and see what he's capable of." They never did that and they may have missed out on an opportunity to develop a useful player. Hell, they used a high enough draft pick on him, you think they would have had some incentive to see him succeed.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was never high on Len, in fact I was hoping he would have been gone last year, so I'm looking forward to the time when we can stop discussing what went wrong...I just don't think he's very good at basketball

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 am
I was never high on Len, in fact I was hoping he would have been gone last year, so I'm looking forward to the time when we can stop discussing what went wrong...I just don't think he's very good at basketball
Judging by how often the BK trade is still brought up? You could be waiting a while.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 am
+1000

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

Yeah I only brought Len up in comparison to this idea that Ariza won't or can't help our perimeter guys because somehow Len didn't improve enough under Chandler and our coaching staff. I guess I'm saying I still value a little veteran leadership, even if it doesn't always have a tangible result that us from behind the computer screen can see.