Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns sign Trevor Ariza for 1 year, $15m

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 am
McDonough has been talking this off-season about getting a PG and a stretch 4. I assume Ariza is the stretch 4. There does seem to be a glut at the forward position now and I'd guess that Warren is the odd man out. It will be interesting to see what McD does at PG.
If he follows this pattern, he'll sign a SG!

I very curious to see who Houston replaces Ariza with. Ariza was terrific for them defensively, but mostly didn't shoot well. In those final 3 playoff games, he shot a combined 7-37 (.194). Ouch.

I guess we're all expecting a couple of forwards to be traded for a point guard.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 am
McDonough has been talking this off-season about getting a PG and a stretch 4. I assume Ariza is the stretch 4. There does seem to be a glut at the forward position now and I'd guess that Warren is the odd man out. It will be interesting to see what McD does at PG.
If he follows this pattern, he'll sign a SG!

I very curious to see who Houston replaces Ariza with. Ariza was terrific for them defensively, but mostly didn't shoot well. In those final 3 playoff games, he shot a combined 7-37 (.194). Ouch.

I guess we're all expecting a couple of forwards to be traded for a point guard.
Or maybe he'll just insist on running Ariza at point! :shock:
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Positionless!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Not long ago, we complained about McD stacking the roster with too many above-average starting point guards. He may have taken the wrong lesson to heart.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There is a big difference in having too many pg's and too many wings. PG's are used to playing with the ball and when you add more ball handlers, they have to spend more time playing off the ball. Adding extra wings might cut into minutes, but how they're used on the court doesn't change. Dragic was pissed because we made him stand in the corner and be a spot up shooter too much, not because he lost minutes to IT

Cap

Post by Cap »

Yeah, I’m just concerned that McD might have gotten the idea that we don’t like starter-quality point guards. Because it sure seems he’s been avoiding them like the plague since the PGOTG debacle.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That's fair, I do think Okobo could be special though...I also think having Booker makes having an elite PG less important. Would be nice to not have to count on Knight and a rookie though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Starters on NBA TV just said this was the best under-the-radar signing of free agency.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

15m is considered under the radar now? Times are a changin...
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 pm
15m is considered under the radar now? Times are a changin...
LOL. I don't think they were referring to the money. Just how it might impact the Suns favorably.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If you watch the whole video they talk about a PG for the Suns. It sounded to me like they believed there isn’t any big fish in free agency this year and that the Suns are only offering one year deals at this point but, next year has some quality PG’s including Dragic, not that he would want anywhere near us again. It sounded t me like they were saying linp through this year with the PG position being iffy but, the team prove it’s ready to start rolling, which will help entice “The Guy” next year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Maybe there aren't any decent FA PGs but you could still acquire one via trade.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s true. Who would we consider being “The Guy” who is going to take us to the promised land? I want a trade for the guy and not just another guy like the last ten guys. We get Knight as the guy this year? I suppose he could prove us wrong...but I don’t think so.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think it's a bad time to take a risk on a PG. Whether it be long term money or someone who requires a lot of assets to bring in, we're better off playing it out with the young core for at least a season and bring in a veteran PG when it's time to push for playoff wins.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:27 am
I think it's a bad time to take a risk on a PG. Whether it be long term money or someone who requires a lot of assets to bring in, we're better off playing it out with the young core for at least a season and bring in a veteran PG when it's time to push for playoff wins.
Problem is you need somebody to feed the kids. Booker can't do it all alone, Knight is not that kind of player and Okobo is a rookie himself. The need for a veteran PG is obvious and the FO has to do something about it using some of the forwards we currently have.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:22 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Problem is you need somebody to feed the kids. Booker can't do it all alone, Knight is not that kind of player and Okobo is a rookie himself. The need for a veteran PG is obvious and the FO has to do something about it using some of the forwards we currently have.
I'm willing to give Igor a chance with the guys he has for now. If it's not working by the trade deadline, then I'm okay with a move for a distributor.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Seriously. Why not Sergio Rodriguez for a year?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, it's not like the regular season starts tomorrow.

Let's wait and see if there are any deals between now and then.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 am
Well, it's not like the regular season starts tomorrow.

Let's wait and see if there are any deals between now and then.
We're on a deadline if we plan to use Sauce's unguaranteed deal.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Seriously. Why not Sergio Rodriguez for a year?
Because he's bad?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.