All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Superbone »

He's going to get a big contract. The only question is how much.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pick and rolls with him in the past have always been scary because they usually end up in a turnover. This year they have been successfully hooking up with him a lot more. He has turned into a bad ass guy. He can still be soft around the rim and he can be pretty ferocious around the rim. Definitely a max contract. Like how max?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Well it will be a lot lower than the max contract this last summer, that is for sure.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:43 pm
He's going to get a big contract. The only question is how much.
He's going to get a max contract. The only question is which team.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:27 pm
Well it will be a lot lower than the max contract this last summer, that is for sure.
Why? Because the Suns will still refuse to give him the $172M/5?

pickle

Post by pickle »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:34 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:27 pm
Why? Because the Suns will still refuse to give him the $172M/5?
I think he means the suns will wait to match…

Indy

Post by Indy »

I read that since that since he missed the deadline this year, he isn't eligible for the "designated max rookie extension." So nobody can offer him that contract with the escalators. Maybe I got that wrong, but that is what I understood from reading it just after the deadline passed.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Well there wouldn’t be escalators at that point. He would just either be eligible for the supermax or not, based on whether he met the criteria this season.

But the numbers would be the same for a 5 year max as they were this summer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

But we do avoid having him be labeled a designated max player? I heard something like that, but I’m not sure.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Anyone want to guess who the Suns' 5th best 3-point shooter (min. 10 attempts) was this season?

Deandre Ayton finished at 36.8% from three, just behind Bridges at 36.9%. (Holiday, Johnson, and Booker were the top three).

Ayton was a better three-point shooter this season than Chris Paul, Cam Payne, Jae Crowder, Landry Shamet, and Torrey Craig.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Tied with Shamet….he only took 19 though. I’m cool if he shoots it more. The shot looks pretty good. 1 a game seems cool to me.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:04 pm
Tied with Shamet….he only took 19 though. I’m cool if he shoots it more. The shot looks pretty good. 1 a game seems cool to me.
Ahead of Shamet by a couple hundredths of a percentage point. :P

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

19 attempts. BFD.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:59 pm
Anyone want to guess who the Suns' 5th best 3-point shooter (min. 10 attempts) was this season?

Deandre Ayton finished at 36.8% from three, just behind Bridges at 36.9%. (Holiday, Johnson, and Booker were the top three).

Ayton was a better three-point shooter this season than Chris Paul, Cam Payne, Jae Crowder, Landry Shamet, and Torrey Craig.
You probably need to be somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 1 every 15-20 minutes of game time for averages to mean anything. This isn't to take anything away from his shot, because it looks good every time he shoots (without hesitating).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He doesn't take enough of them for the stat to mean much.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nope, that means nothing to me. Let me know when he starts shooting them with any volume, not that I'm sure that's the best idea. But one a game at this percentage is not an issue. But lets not start comparing him to volume shooters.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It’s not a lot, but this is how a lot of the centers who develop 3 point shots start out. And it’s more encouraging than him making 20%. Most encouraging is that the stroke looks pretty good compared to last year’s few attempts. There’s a little more arc on the ball and it’s a fluid, repeatable motion. I think it can become a weapon for him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:35 am
It’s not a lot, but this is how a lot of the centers who develop 3 point shots start out. And it’s more encouraging than him making 20%. Most encouraging is that the stroke looks pretty good compared to last year’s few attempts. There’s a little more arc on the ball and it’s a fluid, repeatable motion. I think it can become a weapon for him.
Definitely. It's another wrinkle he's added to his game. A positive for sure!
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Lol, my point wasn't to say he's actually a better three-point shooter (right now) than all of those teammates.

It was just in response to how everyone used to say that he doesn't have any offensive weapons, is not developing his offensive game, etc. It does prove that he is capable of adding a three-point shot to his game, and should add value to his already--according to most league execs--max contract value. Hopefully in the eyes of James Jones as well (if Jones is actually making the decision).

At least as late as last offseason, people were arguing Ayton's value was less than that of Rudy Gobert, who is 0-11 from three in his career.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, he's right there based on his size and skillset. If he doesn't get the max, it'll be darn close to it.
"Be Legendary."