All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:05 pm
Memphis being garbage does make me happy
You jinxed it. :P Good news is Portland is no longer ahead of us in the standings.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Same old excuses baby, gotta love em

He can’t get an expanded offensive role because he sucks and every coach and player knows he’s nothing but a junkyard dog on offense

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:32 pm
Split T wrote:
Ayton with 6/11/0 and a -18(Did have 2 steals)

Biyombo with 8/11/4 with 3 blocks and a +18

Hmmm
I would’ve been happy with Biz over Bol
100%

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:35 pm
Same old excuses baby, gotta love em

He can’t get an expanded offensive role because he sucks and every coach and player knows he’s nothing but a junkyard dog on offense
Not even on a team with low expectations and developing young players can he lead in scoring…. Best move we ever made ridding ourselves of that joke.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Split T wrote:
Ayton with 6/11/0 and a -18(Did have 2 steals)

Biyombo with 8/11/4 with 3 blocks and a +18

Hmmm
At like 1/10 of the price.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:16 pm
How can he get assists if the ball doesn't go through him? He has shown some great passing this season, and some much improved dribble moves. He just needs that "expanded offensive role" from what he had in Phoenix that Chauncey promised. So far it hasn't materialized. As for the PG, DA and Scoot were starting to develop some great chemistry before Scoot's injury.
#FireMonty, er, I mean, #FireChauncey!!!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:16 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:43 pm
He’s literally the same player, just more engaged on defense and without a pass-first PG spoon-feeding him shots. 0 assts/3 TOs, 0 FTAs.
How can he get assists if the ball doesn't go through him? He has shown some great passing this season, and some much improved dribble moves. He just needs that "expanded offensive role" from what he had in Phoenix that Chauncey promised. So far it hasn't materialized. As for the PG, DA and Scoot were starting to develop some great chemistry before Scoot's injury.
How can he dribble if those pesky defenders keep trying to take the ball away? How can he get to the FT line if those mean refs won't blow their whistles?

He took 9 shots and had 3 turnovers. Seems like he touched it enough to generate a single assist.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I guess there are others also interested in how Ayton is doing in his new environment:

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Probably the guy we should have taken if we weren't going to take Donic:

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:04 pm
Probably the guy we should have taken if we weren't going to take Donic:

Sigh. I hate to admit it. Everyone wanted a skilled big man to give Book as a duo. I went through so many phases in Ayton’s first few years before concluding my present with him opinion of him. I had hoped he become like a Tim Duncan or Lamarcus Aldridge type. Ayton just never developed the dynamic offensive tools or competition. Now that this guy is coming into his own he is an ultimate shot blocker and stretch big.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
I guess there are others also interested in how Ayton is doing in his new environment when he has a stat line that can easily be criticized by those who didn't watch the game:
Fixed it for ya.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:20 pm
Superbone wrote:
I guess there are others also interested in how Ayton is doing in his new environment when he has a stat line that can easily be criticized by those who didn't watch the game:
Fixed it for ya.
Not for a max player.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:21 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Fixed it for ya.
Not for a max player.
Even if you consider it a "bad game" my point still stands. People like Gerald are only "interested" when he has a bad game.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:23 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Fixed it for ya.
Not for a max player.
Even if you consider it a "bad game" my point still stands. People like Gerald are only "interested" when he has a bad game.
Yeah I’m happy if he contributes to a win but enjoy not idealizing him ever again. It’s not hard to validate people’s disappointment with Ayton. There was a strong likelihood that after his payday he’d go back to his inconsistent ways. You can’t keep explaining it away. He may not have caused all of his challenges in his career but he is responsible for his play and response at the end of the day. I think he’ll be an enjoyable player knowing he isn’t a max sort of guy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Even as a mid tier paid guy, he would be frustrating. So much wasted potential. But yeah, he wasn’t close to a max-type player. At least at mid tier, it would be much more bearable. It’s got to be much better for Blazers fans since he wasn’t their first #1 overall pick. As a middle of the road guy that you know is not the aggressive type as far as forcing contact, he’s fine. I think Portland will be a much better experience for him as a lot of the pressure is off now. I know that Jeremy will never let it go but it was a win-win for the Ayton and the Suns. Both are better off.

It would have been cool to see what Vogel would have done with him but he still would never live up to his contract and the frustrations would have still been there. It will be interesting to see if this ever dies out. It’s not like Joe Johnson or going all the way back to Dennis Johnson where we knew they were great players worth their salaries that we lost.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He’s been mentioned before but I think the best comp for Ayton is Joe Barry Carroll who is before many of your times. He was a #1 overall that put up nice numbers but never lived up to his expectations.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It’s not just us. Many (most?) Suns fans feel the same way.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Fixed it for ya.
You’re not wrong Jeremy…I didn’t watch…I am curious about the finish though.. what are your thoughts on what happened there?

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:23 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Fixed it for ya.
Not for a max player.
Again, you’re not wrong, but it goes both ways. Ayton stans get loud when he’s good and the haters get loud when he’s bad. People just like to be right

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Does anybody here actually miss Ayton? Our center rotation has been just fine, at half the price.