All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by djy2j »

I want to like the guy. But then he says shit like this.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

djy2j wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:08 pm
Seriously. If he was just humble and said stuff like I know I need to learn to be more aggressive and draw more fouls but instead he gives us this shit. Him thinking he's maybe too aggressive is laughable. It's like he doesn't get that some of us have been watching basketball for almost 3 of his lifetimes and we know what aggressive basketball looks like. In his mind, his aggressiveness is equal to Embiid's. It's crazy really.
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Funny how he says this crap now after he got his pay day... Still SMH and can't believe he said that. We sure this isn't a deepfake? :lol:

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:19 pm
djy2j wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:08 pm
Seriously. If he was just humble and said stuff like I know I need to learn to be more aggressive and draw more fouls but instead he gives us this shit. Him thinking he's maybe too aggressive is laughable. It's like he doesn't get that some of us have been watching basketball for almost 3 of his lifetimes and we know what aggressive basketball looks like. In his mind, his aggressiveness is equal to Embiid's. It's crazy really.
This.

He thinks he's Embiid but often plays like Channing Frye without the consistent 3 point shooting.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:13 am
He thinks he's Embiid but often plays like Channing Frye without the consistent 3 point shooting.
When I think about Ayton I am reminded of the days of Boris Diaw. We just wanted him to go up strong, to dunk, to draw contact. But he'd do that BS where he'd drive to the basket, have an open layup, and just pass it out. That was just what he was. Ayton's game isn't like Diaw's in general, but that lack of aggression, the desire to avoid contact, they both have that. Boris never did change; that was just who he was. I don't think Ayton will ever be a guy who seeks out contact and draws a bunch of fouls. He just doesn't want to do that.

You can still be a very good NBA player without plowing into defenders and drawing contact, but it would rely on him playing great defense and surgical offense. His defense is solid but has regressed a tad from last year. And his offense is often confused, often misreads where the defenders are, how open he is, etc. And he's got those stone hands where he drops the ball way too many times.

I think if I could change just one thing about Ayton, it'd be those hands. Keep your darn hands up, look for the pass, and catch it. Stop bobbling the ball, stop letting passes bounce off you. He gets a few turnovers every game that way. It always makes me groan every time it happens.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:03 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:13 am
When I think about Ayton I am reminded of the days of Boris Diaw. We just wanted him to go up strong, to dunk, to draw contact. But he'd do that BS where he'd drive to the basket, have an open layup, and just pass it out. That was just what he was. Ayton's game isn't like Diaw's in general, but that lack of aggression, the desire to avoid contact, they both have that. Boris never did change; that was just who he was. I don't think Ayton will ever be a guy who seeks out contact and draws a bunch of fouls. He just doesn't want to do that.

You can still be a very good NBA player without plowing into defenders and drawing contact, but it would rely on him playing great defense and surgical offense. His defense is solid but has regressed a tad from last year. And his offense is often confused, often misreads where the defenders are, how open he is, etc. And he's got those stone hands where he drops the ball way too many times.

I think if I could change just one thing about Ayton, it'd be those hands. Keep your darn hands up, look for the pass, and catch it. Stop bobbling the ball, stop letting passes bounce off you. He gets a few turnovers every game that way. It always makes me groan every time it happens.
Spot on! I couldn't agree more. He's more of a finesse 5 that plays good but not great D (this year).

As you say the hands are infuriating but what really irks me is his lack of competitive fire. He just seems to go through the motions, makes the odd pose when he tips a ball in (when he should be doing it after posterizing defenders) and generally seems as though he couldn't care less.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Haven't really been following this thread but Hold on.....

"By Island standards ?!?"

What's going on here 🤔😡🤨🤬
Smh lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

TOO

Post by TOO »

People often stereotype islanders as carefree and chill folk. Which falls much more inline with how Ayton acts/plays.

But hey man, you're tough too. 😆
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I didn't get that either.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

From the 1:55 mark in the 1st quarter to 7:03 left in the 2nd quarter tonight, Deandre Ayton was literally our only scorer, scoring 10 straight points to single-handedly keep us afloat. That’s 7 freaking minutes, for those who aren’t adding it up.

From 1:55 left in the 1st to 5:14 left in the 2nd, the Suns’ offense consisted of:
Ayton: 12 points
Durant: 2 points
Everyone else: 0 points

That’s 9 straight minutes of keeping our season alive.

You will hear virtually nothing of this by anyone in the fanbase or in the media or on any of the shows.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Clippers were giving him wide open 15-foot shots and KD drew defenders away from him so he could get layups during that stretch.

Go easy on the hyperbole. It's not like he was out there Dream shaking guys to keep the Suns from being eliminated.

He had a great game in his role, and I was glad to see him actually battle Zubac in the paint.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:14 am
The Clippers were giving him wide open 15-foot shots and KD drew defenders away from him so he could get layups during that stretch.

Go easy on the hyperbole. It's not like he was out there Dream shaking guys to keep the Suns from being eliminated.

He had a great game in his role, and I was glad to see him actually battle Zubac in the paint.
Suns won, I'm gonna let JG live in his happy bubble this time lol.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:14 am

And if he had missed his shots like all his teammates did during that stretch, we would have been down 25 and on our way to elimination in the first round.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

And if he missed those shots, like he did in Game 1, it would've somehow been Monty's fault.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Never said that. I said the blame for the loss was mostly on Monty. And Ayton scored on 3 out of the 5 possessions in which he shot in the 4th in game 1.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

England Sun wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:44 am
Don't you dare beat that horse!
"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:58 am
England Sun wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:44 am
Don't you dare beat that horse!

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Not dead yet.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That horse isn't dead, it has blinders.