All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:14 pm
I will say, the Ayton we saw against New Orleans was very nice…trying to figure out what changed in the Dallas series?

I think we’ve all seen that DA doesn’t really like contact. He avoids it and I think this video shows that. He likes space and when he can operate in space, he’s great. He’s got a good jump shot and great touch in the paint. But if you crowd him, he gets uncomfortable. And it doesn’t always matter how big the person crowding him is, he’s just simply not going to bully his way to the hoop.

So while the physicality of Valunciunas can bother him, I think the slowness of Valunciunas forced him to give Ayton space and that is exactly what Ayton wants. We also greatly needed Ayton with Booker out and props to him for answering the call. I can see why this series would give hope to the Ayton stans that he could be a featured piece of the offense. He was attacking off the dribble, hitting jump shots, jump hooks, turn around fade-aways…the question is what changed to keep him from doing that against Dallas?

I don’t know the answer exactly, but I do think he’s a better fit with CP3 then he is with Booker. So maybe some of that was Booker being back? I also wonder if the Mavs ability to crowd him with quicker, smaller defenders prevented him from getting comfortable. I just know we could have used the Ayton from the video above and we didn’t get it.

But I get why people would still believe. I don’t know what Ayton becomes, but I hope he finds success. Especially if he ends up staying around somehow.
Go watch Game 1 against Dallas. That was with Booker.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well we could have used him for more than 1 game

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:47 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:46 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:43 pm
The one who was really terrible against Dallas was Bridges - 35.6 Min, 9.9 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 40.6 FG%, 27.8 3P%
That’s blasphemy Bobster, you’re not aloud to say bad things about Bridges.
Hey, we all love Bridges, but he's a complimentary piece, not a cornerstone.
And I think that’s where we have a lot of disagreements on here. Some of us see Ayton the same way. Complimentary piece but not a cornerstone.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:51 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:40 pm
The "squandered the whole championship window" is 100% accurate.
What are you gonna do now?
If he really won't play for you now, then you sign-and-trade him for mediocre value.

And regret the idiocy for as long as it's been regretted with JJ.

Again, all 100% predictable.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:24 pm
If only Monty had realized that. He can't pass himself the ball, after all.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles ... 5_37603950
Simmons then compared the ultra-spending Warriors to the Suns, specifically when it came to Ayton's situation and their unwillingness to hand over a max contract.

"When you look at like, the Suns where they low-ball Ayton, they screw up the Jalen Smith pick and don't take (Tyrese) Haliburton and then they just get rid of Jalen Smith because they want to cut salary cap, and the Warriors are the opposite of that, of the Sarver (ownership in Phoenix)."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Golden State had an estimated $258 million (4th in the league) in 2021, the Suns had $206 million (about average). In 2020 the Warriors doubled the Suns revenue ($474 million to $222 million) so that's an apples and oranges comparison.

https://runrepeat.com/nba-revenue-statistics
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Warriors have been spending ridiculous luxury tax money to try to win. Isn't it true that keeping Kelly Oubre on their roster ended up costing them $100 million? If so, oof. But they wanted to spend every dollar necessary to win. I admire that. But I don't think I expect Sarver and the Suns ownership to spend such ludicrous amounts of money like that. Just pay guys within the cap/tax system and keep talented guys here. Spend money to make the team better. Don't sell draft picks for cash or trade contributing players away just to save money. The usual stuff.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Never Ayton’s fault with you…kinda hard to take your posts seriously when he’s infallible to you. He’s not a rookie anymore and doesn’t need you making every excuse for him. He’s got plenty of opportunities to make things happen, he gets passed the ball all the time. Problem is he has to be in certain spots or he can’t do anything with the passes.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:55 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Never Ayton’s fault with you…kinda hard to take your posts seriously when he’s infallible to you. He’s not a rookie anymore and doesn’t need you making every excuse for him. He’s got plenty of opportunities to make things happen, he gets passed the ball all the time. Problem is he has to be in certain spots or he can’t do anything with the passes.
Haha it's just that I have to go to the opposite extreme to counter the hate he gets. With some of you guys, it's always only Ayton's fault.

The majority of the problem is how he's utilized, not him. As we'll all see plainly this next season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:26 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
If he really won't play for you now, then you sign-and-trade him for mediocre value.

Can't wait! :P We'll have more ammunition for many years to come.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
The one who was really terrible against Dallas was Bridges - 35.6 Min, 9.9 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 40.6 FG%, 27.8 3P%
And I think that’s where we have a lot of disagreements on here. Some of us see Ayton the same way. Complimentary piece but not a cornerstone.
Sorry guys, I can't hold myself back anymore. The word you're looking for is "complementary" unless they are telling each other how nice they look today and how well they're playing and what a great teammate they are.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:03 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Haha it's just that I have to go to the opposite extreme to counter the hate he gets. With some of you guys, it's always only Ayton's fault.

The majority of the problem is how he's utilized, not him. As we'll all see plainly this next season.
Fair…from now on I’ll try to include something positive about Ayton when I’m supporting trading him. I really don’t think everything is his fault. I just don’t think he’s the answer and he also happens to be the piece that I feel would both return the most value and be the most replaceable in our system.

And I do hope we see it next season. I like Ayton, think he’s a solid dude. Playing without any playoff expectations in Detroit might be good for him. It does feel like he’s played the last two years trying not to mess up. I don’t know if that was more him or outside forces, but I think he would benefit from being able to try more things. Failing a bit and learning would be helpful and much more doable in Detroit.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:13 pm
Split T wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Sorry guys, I can't hold myself back anymore. The word you're looking for is "complementary" unless they are telling each other how nice they look today and how well they're playing and what a great teammate they are.
My bad Bone, I’m definitely no English major

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:26 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:03 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Fair…from now on I’ll try to include something positive about Ayton when I’m supporting trading him. I really don’t think everything is his fault. I just don’t think he’s the answer and he also happens to be the piece that I feel would both return the most value and be the most replaceable in our system.

And I do hope we see it next season. I like Ayton, think he’s a solid dude. Playing without any playoff expectations in Detroit might be good for him. It does feel like he’s played the last two years trying not to mess up. I don’t know if that was more him or outside forces, but I think he would benefit from being able to try more things. Failing a bit and learning would be helpful and much more doable in Detroit.
It does make you wonder what would have happened if Ayton was drafted in 2015 and Booker was drafted in 2018.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
But he's also complimentary. Can't you see how happy and how much he loves it here?!! ;)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

My bad Bone, I’m definitely no English major
No apologies necessary. I'm not either. I make plenty of mistakes. I've just got this weird OCD about certain oft used wrong words. Another one is "lose" versus "loose". So many people mistakenly use loose when they meant lose. I know Indy has this same OCD too!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Completely agree. I mean I hold out hope that he will develop better handles and be more aggressive, but not sure that will happen. Which is fine for an all-defensive 1st teamer and runner up DPOY that plays a ton of minutes every single night for you. Oh, and also hits over 37% of his threes for his career.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:39 pm
Ayton vs Pels - 35.0 Min, 20.5 Pts, 9.8 Reb, 2.5 Ast, 1.2 Blk, 70.0 FG%, 75.0 FT%
Ayton vs Mavs - 26.8 Min, 15.7 Pts, 8.1 Reb, 1.0 Ast, 0.4 Blk, 58.3 FG%, 57.1 FT%
Ayton Total - 30.5 Min, 17.9 Pts, 8.9 Reb, 1.7 Ast, 0.8 Blk, 64.0 FT%, 63.6 FT%

So he basically scored and rebounded at the same rate, he just didn't have the gaudy shooting %.
The real question is why was he playing 25% fewer minutes in the Dallas series? Some will say it is because Monty hates him and didn't want him to succeed. Others will say because he wasn't bringing the energy when he was in the game so you have to sit him more.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

“My stars shine darkly over me; the malignancy of my fate might, perhaps, distemper yours.”
I’m sorry man for your loss. I mourn JJ, it’s true. But I won’t Ayton. Whatever happens, he is responsible for the outcome.