All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:27 pm
That horse isn't dead, it has blinders.
It will be after we get done beating it. Sorry to explode your brain with two simultaneous metaphors. :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:08 pm
Not dead yet.
Bring out your dead!

"Be Legendary."

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

"Dead" Man: I'm not dead!
Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Large Man: Yes he is.
"Dead" Man: I'm not.
Dead Collector: He isn't.
Large Man: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
"Dead" Man: I'm getting better.
Large Man: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

It's just a flesh wound!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Clippers at the end of the game: “All right, we’ll call it a draw.”

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Still wanna talk about plus/minus or nah? :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

There is no defense of his play today, none. Ayton was not good.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Oh I'm sure there'll be something to parse, like getting a late rebound over a 6'3" shooting guard.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:13 pm
Still wanna talk about plus/minus or nah? :lol:
Nah, you say it doesn't matter so...
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was fine with him in the 2nd half. Nothing special, but much better than his 1st half. Outside of missing those 2 ft’s…that was rough. CP3 was also bad tonight. I think Clips have the formula to beat us. A lot of our guys don’t do well with physical play(CP3, Ayton, and KD). Thank goodness for Booker.

We better hope we don’t get a crew that lets a lot of physical play go or Clips are gonna have a field day with us.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Weird how he wasn't nearly as impactful when the Clippers weren't giving him wide open shots from his favorite spot and leaving him to double team KD.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ayton had 12 points and 11 rebounds last night in 35 minutes. 0 blocks, 0 assists, 2 turnovers. The rebounds are ok but I feel like if you gave most any center 35 minutes you'd get these numbers or better.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Timeline podcast really went after Ayton…I didn’t love his game, but I wasn’t as bothered as most. He did some nice things in the 2nd half in my opinion. But maybe my expectations have just dropped. By no means was he a big positive. We won because Booker was incredible.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:24 am
Ayton had 12 points and 11 rebounds last night in 35 minutes. 0 blocks, 0 assists, 2 turnovers. The rebounds are ok but I feel like if you gave most any center 35 minutes you'd get these numbers or better.
Take a look at what other max centers (even supermax) are doing recently:

Anthony Davis, Game 2 (loss): 38 min, 4-14 (.286) FG, 4-4 FT, 13 points, 9 rebounds, 2 turnovers.

Bam Adebayo, Game 2 (loss): 18 points, 0-1 FT, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 turnovers, 0 blocks.

Joel Embiid, Game 3 (5 point win): 38 min, 5-13 (.385) FG, 14 points, 10 rebounds, 5 turnovers, 5 fouls.

Not to mention Nikola Jokic (MVP!)'s 13 points and 6 fouls in a game 1 win.

I feel like if you gave most any center these minutes you'd get these numbers or better.

"Biyombo > Embiid!!!"

Ayton should have had 18 points (6-9 instead of 4-9 FG, and 6-8 FT instead of 4-8), but he's not going to score as much now that we have KD and Booker ahead of him. I will say that I would rather he get 18 FGA than Paul getting 18 FGA (5-18 last night).

Funny how I hear no praise about DA getting 8 free throw attempts when he finally got to the line (plus drew a couple of non-shooting fouls too I believe).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I'm not going to go as far as Jeremy, but it's funny how much folks missed Ayton when he was out.

That being said...if he isn't going to get enough touches with Durant around, and if he isn't going to play monster defense like he has at times...

Regardless, I wouldn't trade him unless the Suns got a really good deal in return, a combination of a true center who can't be schemed against and a bunch of other assets. I suspect that he's going to prove his worth against Jokic in round 2, provided that the Suns make it past the Clips. The ability to cover Jokic one-on-one while not being run off the floor makes him unique.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hope he steps up to the challenge of Jokic(If we get that far). He just hasn’t defended this year like he did that series. He could not make a shot in the series and I’d be fine with it if he reproduced his defensive performance from 2021.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:40 am
Timeline podcast really went after Ayton…I didn’t love his game, but I wasn’t as bothered as most. He did some nice things in the 2nd half in my opinion. But maybe my expectations have just dropped. By no means was he a big positive. We won because Booker was incredible.
The kicker for me was when he threw the ball off of Lee's feet and it started rolling back to him and he just stood there for 3 seconds and waited for the Clippers to come pick up the ball. Our superstar Booker is diving on the floor and this guy just stands there looking at the ball like a fool. He frustrates me so much. So indecisive. So unaggressive. I'm ready to move on. I like him as a person. He's got skills. He just doesn't have the desire. He's a shell of the player he was two years ago in the playoffs. He got his contract so why change or work hard?

And then a guy like Looney who was a late first round pick and undersized center goes all out and can collect 20 boards, 9 offensive in less minutes. I'll take that guy every time over a much more skilled center that just doesn't have the desire to do what it takes.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I wish this thread would die. Thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I'm ready to trade Ayton this offseason, too, unless he really shows improvement over the course of the playoffs.

Would you guys trade Ayton and CP3 to Atlanta for Trae Young + either John Collins or Clint Capela? Those are some depressed ATL assets, but it'd be a chance to take a flier on a guy who could end up being a PG of the future and give you productive seasons for a decade. He has some huge holes in his game, but if it worked out, it'd be an absolute steal. And ATL gets to hand the car keys to Murray and others and end the not-working Trae experiment going on there.

Other trade proposals? Call the Pacers and ask for another look at that Myles Turner package?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:12 pm
I think I'm ready to trade Ayton this offseason, too, unless he really shows improvement over the course of the playoffs.

Would you guys trade Ayton and CP3 to Atlanta for Trae Young + either John Collins or Clint Capela? Those are some depressed ATL assets, but it'd be a chance to take a flier on a guy who could end up being a PG of the future and give you productive seasons for a decade. He has some huge holes in his game, but if it worked out, it'd be an absolute steal. And ATL gets to hand the car keys to Murray and others and end the not-working Trae experiment going on there.

Other trade proposals? Call the Pacers and ask for another look at that Myles Turner package?
I'd take that but Atlanta wouldn't.

"Be Legendary."