All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by ShelC »

This was a week ago:

https://twitter.com/CoachKyleWeaver/status/1030654149375848449

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:32 pm
What makes you think he's not? He can't sit on his bed?
If he was putting work in at the suns facility or anywhere with other NBA players in this day of social media and hype tapes, you really think it wouldn’t be put out there by the Suns? If he farts in public it’ll go viral.

That 1 on 0 workout picture is quite underwhelming.

The Suns future for the next 5-10 years is riding on this kids career and my biggest concern with his summer league and offseason thus far is that he just seems more into his brand and showcasing his personality than improving his game.

It’s also telling that Book has commented about Bridges quite a few times publicly and has been silent about Ayton unless directly asked a question. Would love to have seen him in LA working together.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Man, is training camp here yet?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think you worry too much, if he sucks on the court then complain all you want. Just seems unnecessary and only gonna cause you grief to worry about the lack of social media posts with Ayton playing basketball.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Worrying is praying for the worst.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 pm
Worrying is praying for the worst.
AKA, using a little reverse psychology on God.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:32 pm
What makes you think he's not? He can't sit on his bed?
If he was putting work in at the suns facility or anywhere with other NBA players in this day of social media and hype tapes, you really think it wouldn’t be put out there by the Suns? If he farts in public it’ll go viral.

That 1 on 0 workout picture is quite underwhelming.

The Suns future for the next 5-10 years is riding on this kids career and my biggest concern with his summer league and offseason thus far is that he just seems more into his brand and showcasing his personality than improving his game.

It’s also telling that Book has commented about Bridges quite a few times publicly and has been silent about Ayton unless directly asked a question. Would love to have seen him in LA working together.
I get where you're coming from with all of this but it's still obviously very early. It'd be great if he were working out with Booker and some other players, but if they're in LA, maybe he just wants to stay in Phoenix and get settled after a busy summer. Not sure why he wouldn't be working out at the Suns facility tho unless that's his personal trainer using a gym he's connected to.

In terms of Summer League, I thought he played well given the circumstances and didn't seem distracted or underwhelming. Wasn't in the best of shape so that's my biggest concern at this point. He does look to have a personality and seems to want to get attention the way Shaq did and Embiid does. If he can back it up on the court, he'll get away with those things.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ayton is the first rookie in NBA history to average 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 58% FG shooting.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:42 pm
Ayton is the first rookie in NBA history to average 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 58% FG shooting.
Hes also the first rookie to average 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 58% FG shooting and be perpetually seeks as a disappointment by a sizable portion of his team's fanbase.

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Hes also the first rookie to average 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 58% FG shooting and be perpetually seeks as a disappointment by a sizable portion of his team's fanbase.
Given the way the guy talks himself up, it’s fair to call him a disappointment.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 pm
jonh wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
I'm not disappointed in his rookie season. I'm actually encouraged by it, but yeah, I've already started ignoring his comments to the media.

I'll need to see his conditioning and defensive awareness improve next year at a minimum.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll give his rookie year a solid B+.

The Good:
Legit size and strength in the post
Great hands and soft touch from the perimeter and around the basket
Great rebounding presence
Defense improved throughout the year
Good self-awareness about expectations, his own play and shortcomings (tho could be mostly BS unless he backs it up going forward)

The Not-So-Good:
Focus and killer mentality/aggression
Conditioning

From a skills standpoint, I don't think we can ask for much more. He's a pretty polished basketball player already even though he didn't get much of a chance to display his offense. I think he's more advanced than we saw, due mainly to Igor's use of him within the offense. But even as a rookie, we saw him physically overpowering guys in the paint, especially when he was focused and engaged. His conditioning should be a top priority this offseason and we all saw him fatigue and lose his effectiveness/aggression late in games. And hopefully any improved conditioning will lead to him being quicker and more impactful defensively. His numbers were there, though it didn't always feel like he was affecting games in a major way - which again I think was due to how he was used.
Last edited by ShelC on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I had hoped for a better season for Ayton, but one thing I’ve learned is to never judge players on their rookie years. Ayton has some weaknesses that are concerning, but the one thing that everyone says about Ayton is how quickly he learns. I think it’s very possible Ayton ends up as a positive defensive player, that ends up as pretty unguardable offensively. He’ll be bigger, stronger, and more athletic than everyone. And the 3 point shot is coming. He could still be really special!

jonh

Post by jonh »

Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 pm
jonh wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Yeah, I think his mouth and his motor are my two biggest criticisms of him right now. However, as someone that would have preferred Donicic last summer anyways, I still have been impressed at his production this season.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Doncic had a better overall rookie season, and arguably so did guys like Trae Young and Bagley. But Ayton was impressive overall and I have high hopes for his second season. If he does what he needs to do in the summer, he could be really special next year. He's still very young.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It felt like Igor was taking it slow with Ayton all year. I hope he comes back much improved from hard work over the summer.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If we get a talented passing PG, suddenly Ayton is going to look like a real beast. Nobody threw the guy any passes all year, and he was left to figure out his own offense for himself. He played okay under those circumstances, but he can be so much more. Get the PG, and you unlock Ayton for free.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm sure(maybe I should say I hope) the Suns have pg as a priority this off-season. Ayton has things he needs to improve himself though. He doesn't have the best hands, doesn't quite have the feel for how and when to roll and/or make himself available to catch and recieve the ball yet.

Btw, next year's draft is going to be crazy deep at pg.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:30 am
If we get a talented passing PG, suddenly Ayton is going to look like a real beast. Nobody threw the guy any passes all year, and he was left to figure out his own offense for himself. He played okay under those circumstances, but he can be so much more. Get the PG, and you unlock Ayton for free.
Nah. You can't put it all on the PG situation. He takes some blame as well. There were many times he did get the ball in the post but he'd immediately pass back out.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:25 am
I'm sure(maybe I should say I hope) the Suns have pg as a priority this off-season. Ayton has things he needs to improve himself though. He doesn't have the best hands, doesn't quite have the feel for how and when to roll and/or make himself available to catch and recieve the ball yet.

Btw, next year's draft is going to be crazy deep at pg.
I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as priority. James Jones made it clear that addressing PG and PF are our priorities.
"Be Legendary."