Game Day (Summer League): 76ers (0-3) @ Suns (3-0), Thurs 7/12/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Game Day (Summer League): 76ers (0-3) @ Suns (3-0), Thurs 7/12/18

Post by UglyTruth »

Hope Ayton sits the next game out. I'd rather see Jack Cooley out there hustling and seeing the fun crowd reactions to anything he does than a repeat of yesterday's performance.

It would help feature Bridges as well who had a pretty good game and was very active all game yesterday. His performance has gone unnoticed by many because of the disappointing game from Ayton.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 am
Hope Ayton sits the next game out. I'd rather see Jack Cooley out there hustling and seeing the fun crowd reactions to anything he does than a repeat of yesterday's performance.

It would help feature Bridges as well who had a pretty good game and was very active all game yesterday. His performance has gone unnoticed by many because of the disappointing game from Ayton.
Bridges: 40% FG. Ayton: 40% FG
Bridges: 7 points. Ayton: 10 points.
Bridges: 0 rebounds. Ayton: 9 rebounds.

Oh yeah and Bridges lost the game for us on the final play.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:33 am
UglyTruth wrote:

Bridges: 40% FG. Ayton: 40% FG
Bridges: 7 points. Ayton: 10 points.
Bridges: 0 rebounds. Ayton: 9 rebounds.

Oh yeah and Bridges lost the game for us on the final play.
WUT. Ayton lost the game for us in the three quarters prior by doing absolutely nothing and being lost both offensively and defensively. He also gave up an and-1 layup to a 76ers player who has no aspirations of making the final roster which shifted momentum.

You must be high on that good ol Arizona weed if you think Ayton played better than Bridges.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

UglyTruth wrote:

Are you just a troll looking to get a rise out of people on here? Are you really that obtuse and moronic to think we should sit the #1 pick because he disappointed you with his effort? Your hot takes are hot garbage lately.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 pm
Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 pm
All this excitement and I’m stuck in an airport for 11 hours in Sydney.

Overreact.net in full force I see.
Nah, its' just UglyTruth.
Funny, people said this when I called Chriss being a bust within a month of regular season....

People don't like the ugly truth but doesn't change it from still being the truth.
People just don't like idiots.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

I probably overreacted by saying that Ayton's gonna be a lot worse than the other players drafted. I'll admit that. I was pissed that he lost in the FIRST GAME of a tournament again after having just done it March few months before.

That said, I don't think he's gonna be a bust. He will be a starting caliber player at least imo so that's good. If Booker/Jackson/Bridges become as good as McD thinks they will be then that's all we need from Ayton anyway.

However, all this star potential crap needs to stop. He didn't show some advanced post moves or silky smooth jumper at Arizona. I argued this BEFORE we drafted him as well so don't come at me saying I'm overreacting to this game. I care more about what he did at Arizona than he did in one game vs Philly anyway.

I understand most of you are folks that like tow the company line. I get it, you've been fans for so long that you become accepting of mediocrity. I'm almost there, but not yet. I still have ambitions of seeing a Suns championship in my lifetime even though I realize how difficult it is.

Anytime I see someone post "Oh what an overreaction to one game vs Philly", I immediately assume that person has not watched Ayton play at all at Arizona. He showed many of these same tendencies at Arizona. I can't remember who it was but I remember someone here before the draft posted something along the lines of "I'm a die hard UoA fan and I've watched every game and that's precisely why I DON'T want the Suns to draft Ayton because he's not as good as the hype presents".

I've seen those same weaknesses and seeing in yesterday's game further confirmed my doubts. I have hope that he's able to improve because he's still what 19 years old? But I was hoping that we draft a #1 overall pick who is a plug and play type player not someone who we will have to wait 2-3 years before they actually put it together consistently. Ayton looks extremely raw right now and #1 overall picks usually aren't supposed to be like that. Forget Embiid, I watched Towns play in SL and his rookie and sophomore seasons and he showed more early on than Ayton has thus far.

Again, I have hope he improves. I like Kokoskov a lot so I still think the team will be good regardless and I think the coaching staff can develop Ayton and turn him into something special like the pre draft scouting reports showed. I just hope to not see this type of performance again

[youtube][/youtube]

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 am
UglyTruth wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:

Funny, people said this when I called Chriss being a bust within a month of regular season....

People don't like the ugly truth but doesn't change it from still being the truth.
You must not have any friends then.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:41 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 am
UglyTruth wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:

You must not have any friends then.
I've got you. And a few other idiots that I hang around with. Mouthbreathers need love too.

SDC

Post by SDC »

this is where you miss the steady hand of a good point guard.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ayton needs that Mamba mentality. He's still young for sure, looked gassed, but more concerning- looked disinterested. Maybe Booker and Ariza (Chandler?) can give him a kick in the ass when he needs it.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

So this is what losing feels like...

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

SDC wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 am
this is where you miss the steady hand of a good point guard.
Indeed. Shaq does some good things but when he can’t get to the hoop he can’t do that much. I like him in spurts but not much of a distributer.

For those who talk about sleep walking, I kind of thought were trying to run some different plays today and guys looked liked they were thinking a lot about remembering what to do. It looked more like a practice in that regard. Which is why I’m not going to complain to much about Ayton. Not such a fan of the horns handoff stuff. Reminds me too much of last seasons offense.
76ers just bombed 3s and we decided not to guard the 3pt line plus our awful passing led to a bunch of points for them.

Bender actually looked smooth and non hesitant for a change. Wish they kept feeding him. A bit too much Shaq though.

I liked Reed. Actually looked like he gave a shit. Nice role player. Prefer over Daniels

Bridges needs to tighten up his handles a bit. Did some nice thing, I still think he’ll looked good next to our regular lineup

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

UglyTruth wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm
Cap wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:01 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Oh my gawd!

They lost a summer league game!!

It’s the end of the f*** world!!!!!
No, but it is embarrassing.
Is it? It’s summer league. A bunch of rookies, bench warmers and players who might never play a NBA game had an off game and lost to other rookies, bench warmers and players who might never play a NBA game by 2pts.
76ers were the worst ranked summer league (30th) while the Suns were the 3rd.

If you follow NCAA’s March Madness you would understand if this is embarrassing or not.
What a ridiculous statement. Worst rank summer league team?sure but everyone only played 3 games with players that they only played with for a week and in couple weeks will never play together again. These games meaningless, played with players that sadly will never play an NBA game. I’m disappointed but IT IS SUMMER LEAGUE.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Reed showed last night he's capable of being a threat off the dribble. He was able to get into the lane, make shots or draw fouls. He's a savvy player and a proven shooter.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 am
UglyTruth wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Cap wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Oh my gawd!

They lost a summer league game!!

It’s the end of the f*** world!!!!!
Is it? It’s summer league. A bunch of rookies, bench warmers and players who might never play a NBA game had an off game and lost to other rookies, bench warmers and players who might never play a NBA game by 2pts.

If you follow NCAA’s March Madness you would understand if this is embarrassing or not.
What a ridiculous statement. Worst rank summer league team?sure but everyone only played 3 games with players that they only played with for a week and in couple weeks will never play together again. These games meaningless, played with players that sadly will never play an NBA game. I’m disappointed but IT IS SUMMER LEAGUE.
One of the biggest wastes of time is going on the Internet and trying to explain to someone who has entrenched themselves in an indefensible view that they are wrong. They can watch the same game and see the same box score and still twist it to fit their narrative.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 am
Wally_West wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Cap wrote:

One of the biggest wastes of time is going on the Internet and trying to explain to someone who has entrenched themselves in an indefensible view that they are wrong. They can watch the same game and see the same box score and still twist it to fit their narrative.

Specially if they are doing it just for stirring the pot and annoy people off.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 am
The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 am
Wally_West wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

Specially if they are doing it just for stirring the pot and annoy people off.
Maybe he should change his user name to UglySpin. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched about half of this game on DVR. Sure feels like we need a PG who can be a floor general and initiate our offense. I'm not super worried about Ayton having one ho-hum game. He's just getting started. He'll make progress.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:31 pm
I watched about half of this game on DVR. Sure feels like we need a PG who can be a floor general and initiate our offense. I'm not super worried about Ayton having one ho-hum game. He's just getting started. He'll make progress.
I agree, and I think Okobo may have been missed more than Josh not being there.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/krishansonRCF/status/1017566392760000512

"Be Legendary."