Book of Igor

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Book of Igor

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:12 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 am
Lets not get too worked up over the state of the roster yet. This is NOT our opening day roster. There'll be plenty of time to be upset during the season if we stink.

1. Canaan has a non-guaranteed contract. Including all of our non-gauranteed guys, we have 19 on the roster right now, so there will def be at least a small roster move before the season starts.

2. All reports over the entire summer indicate that McD is looking for a starting PG. A lot of posts sound like the poster thinks this is McD's ideal PG rotation, but we know that's not the case. Canaan/Harrison/Okobo/Melton is not the master plan. The Suns are looking for a PG, and if they follow the patter they set with the Houston forwards, they are going to get a guy one way or another, even if he isn't the right fit for the team.

For better or worse, I expect another move before training camp.
I think we have said that numerous times right before the season starts, only to be disappointed.
I was thinking the same thing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Lets not get too worked up over the state of the roster yet. This is NOT our opening day roster. There'll be plenty of time to be upset during the season if we stink.

1. Canaan has a non-guaranteed contract. Including all of our non-gauranteed guys, we have 19 on the roster right now, so there will def be at least a small roster move before the season starts.

2. All reports over the entire summer indicate that McD is looking for a starting PG. A lot of posts sound like the poster thinks this is McD's ideal PG rotation, but we know that's not the case. Canaan/Harrison/Okobo/Melton is not the master plan. The Suns are looking for a PG, and if they follow the patter they set with the Houston forwards, they are going to get a guy one way or another, even if he isn't the right fit for the team.

I think we have said that numerous times right before the season starts, only to be disappointed.
In previous years, folks were hoping for a move because the roster didn't make sense or we saw a problem coming. We didn't make a move because we were tanking.

This year we are actively turning over half our roster and the FO has said they are aiming for the playoffs.

We may well be disappointed again. In fact, I would bet my life savings that over half the board will be disappointed with the state of the roster on opening night. I just think the folks saying we aren't looking for a PG are ignoring every report we've gotten.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

In previous years, folks were hoping for a move because the roster didn't make sense or we saw a problem coming. We didn't make a move because we were tanking.

This year we are actively turning over half our roster and the FO has said they are aiming for the playoffs.

We may well be disappointed again. In fact, I would bet my life savings that over half the board will be disappointed with the state of the roster on opening night. I just think the folks saying we aren't looking for a PG are ignoring every report we've gotten.
Since you are in a betting mood, would you place your life savings on Ryan making a move for a starting caliber PG before camp starts or not?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:42 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Since you are in a betting mood, would you place your life savings on Ryan making a move for a starting caliber PG before camp starts or not?
We are looking for a starting pg. Fact. Not to be disputed. Actually getting one is quite another matter. So what is the bet? Trying or getting?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Trying doesn't really mean anything, right? We have gone into many training camps under Ryan saying "of course he has to [get rid of]/[bring in a] before camp starts" only to be disappointed. I just can't imagine a world in which the chances of him doing what we all expect of him gets done is better than a flip of a coin.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I debated this in another thread already, but I'm still not sure what the damage is for not having a "starting caliber" point guard. What do we want out of the pg position right now, other than having one for having one's sake?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

pickle wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:42 am
I debated this in another thread already, but I'm still not sure what the damage is for not having a "starting caliber" point guard. What do we want out of the pg position right now, other than having one for having one's sake?
Passing, especially to Ayton. Shooting would also be nice.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Better decision making. It makes a big difference to the other players when they can count on the PG recognizing the situation and initiating the right play each time down the court.

It's not even about the PG himself making that play, it's about him seeing the court and getting the ball to the player with an advantageous match up or running a play Igor has designed. We're going to have enough unpredictability with Devin and Josh bringing the ball up court. We need a steady hand in the lineup.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

God, it would be nice to have somebody who could make a decent entry pass!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

pickle

Post by pickle »

Thanks for that... I generally agree with these. In this case, we need someone who is a good passer and ball handler who can make a good decision on the fly. Obviously this guy needs to be a threat with the ball and preferably a threat without the ball. How many point guards actually fit that bill though? Personally I'd like this guy to be at least an average to above average defender too. Is it really wise to trade for or sign someone just so we can say we have a starting pg, versus developing one of our current youngsters into such a guy? What's the damage if we went with the second route? These are not rhetorical questions. I'm generally very opinionated on most issues but this one I really struggle with.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm against making a trade just to say we did. We can afford to wait for the right player to come along.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I agree. Saw rumors that we are after Pat Bev but refuse to give up a first rounder, but have offered second rounders. First off, thank god we are not giving up a first for Beverley. Secondly, this is exactly what I struggle with. I love defensive minded bulldogs who help change the team's identity, but how does Beverley help us with passing and decision making? Does he belong to the category of "making a trade for trading sake" and/or "starting caliber pg who doesn't actually help us"? He would definite stunt both Melton and Okobo without making the others better, unless he's such a good defender that he sets the tone and changes everyone's mentality.

I just can't wrap my head around this pg issue.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Clips need a good PG. If Beverley were still any good, they wouldn't be so eager to give him up. The multiple leg injuries make him a stay-away IMO.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wait...so we're not getting Lillard or Kemba or Rozier?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:55 pm
Wait...so we're not getting Lillard or Kemba or Rozier?
Or Curry or Harden.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

pickle wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:29 am
I agree. Saw rumors that we are after Pat Bev but refuse to give up a first rounder, but have offered second rounders. First off, thank god we are not giving up a first for Beverley. Secondly, this is exactly what I struggle with. I love defensive minded bulldogs who help change the team's identity, but how does Beverley help us with passing and decision making? Does he belong to the category of "making a trade for trading sake" and/or "starting caliber pg who doesn't actually help us"? He would definite stunt both Melton and Okobo without making the others better, unless he's such a good defender that he sets the tone and changes everyone's mentality.

I just can't wrap my head around this pg issue.
I think you've got the meat of the issue. None of the guys clearly good enough to help us out are available for what we can give up, and I don't think this front office will find an under rated steal of a player. Anybody like Beverly who we might actually get is going to be at best in the grey area of "maybe we shouldn't pursue this guy" and more likely, "we definitely should't go after him."
Last edited by O_Gardino on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm
Clips need a good PG. If Beverley were still any good, they wouldn't be so eager to give him up. The multiple leg injuries make him a stay-away IMO.
They've got too many PG's. They just drafted SGA and Jerome Robinson. They re-signed Avery Bradley and Lou Williams and they still have teodosic and Beverley.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

This is literally the opposite of the Clippers current situation.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I'm ok with starting the season with our young PGs and relatively excited by their potential. I think we can afford to wait and see who emerges as the best of them. A move to pick up an ok guard like Beverley who would eat into the development of Harrison, Okobo and Melton would dampen my enthusiasm for the season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
They've got too many PG's. They just drafted SGA and Jerome Robinson. They re-signed Avery Bradley and Lou Williams and they still have teodosic and Beverley.
guys, remember that Mori has a little one at home and probably still isn't getting enough sleep.