Book of Igor

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Book of Igor

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’m curious whether Igor will just start booker at the 1 and run him with Bridges, Jackson, Ariza, and Ayton. That lefs the team to hide Book on D and dominate the ball handling, it also gives the team its best 3 ball lineup to put up points in a hurry. Ayton could just mop up with easy buckets and put backs. Igor can run his numerous wings off the ball and create open looks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Igor has already said he won't play Booker as the 1. I thought I saw somewhere that Booker isn't too fond of playing the 1 either, but maybe I made that up, I'll look for confirmation.

I still think it's likely we add a PG before the season starts, but if we don't, Booker will surely spend some time at the 1. I could see Shaq or Canaan winning the job out of camp with Booker running most of the backup minutes. Might be good to start Okobo and Melton in the g league for regular minutes.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:52 pm
Might be good to start Okobo and Melton in the g league for regular minutes.
If this is our roster going into the season, I really hope at least one of those guys is ready for NBA minutes from the start. We can’t be going with just Shaq and Canaan on the active roster.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. I can't believe we're not at least signing a veteran PG as a steady hand. This trade talk of Kemba, Lillard and Rozier is foolish IMO. There aren't a ton of vets out there obviously and none are really game changers but I'd honestly take a long look at Jarrett Jack. He played well for the Knicks last season, provided leadership on and off the court and would fit well in the backcourt. Other names would be Chalmers, Shane Larkin, and Ty Lawson. Lawson's had his issues in the past so I'd be wary of him, Larkin is more of a backup but is a really heady player who can push the ball. Chalmers is more of a combo but has a ton of experience just the same.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'd rather just play Canaan/Harrison and the rookies than sign Jarret Jack or Mario Chalmers

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 pm
Split T wrote:
If this is our roster going into the season, I really hope at least one of those guys is ready for NBA minutes from the start. We can’t be going with just Shaq and Canaan on the active roster.
They probably will be at least as ready as the pg's we've been playing the last couple years

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 pm
Split T wrote:
They probably will be at least as ready as the pg's we've been playing the last couple years
But we probably want to win more than ~23 games this year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd rather bring a vet in to (hopefully) get the season off on the right foot and if we're no good, then hand the reins over to the young guys. But don't start the season with young backups or rooks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 am
I'd rather bring a vet in to (hopefully) get the season off on the right foot and if we're no good, then hand the reins over to the young guys. But don't start the season with young backups or rooks.
At least bring in a solid vet to compete in camp and keep the team settled.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I think Okobo is going to surprise some folks. He's ready to play nighty. I do agree that we need a vet to start and keep the team settled, but our PG situation is not as bad as some think.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think the PG situation is ok for where we're at as a team. It would be really nice to have a vet placeholders for 1 year, but that might have to be Canaan. Canaan was our best PG last year, he's decent, doesn't do stupid things and can defend.

I think Harrison and Melton will both be playable as defensive terrors as well. I like Okobo a lot, but I'm not sure he's ready. We will see.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 am
At least bring in a solid vet to compete in camp and keep the team settled.
Ronnie Price!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't get why we have acquired four (4!) different young PGs and don't seem to have a clear pecking order between them. Who starts at PG? Okobo? Harrison? Canaan? Melton? You can make a case for each. I don't like when McDo acquires so many guys at the same position, especially when they are of similar ages / experience levels, so it's unclear which one deserves to start.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I love all those guys' potential but you can't go into camp with them as your lead guards. Maybe the FO and coaches are seeing things we're not, which is entirely possible, and think Melton or Okobo or Harrison can carry the load or share duties. Or Igor is going to go with his 5 best and play some combo of Booker, Bridges, Jackson, Warren, Ariza to start on the perimeter.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 am
I just don't get why we have acquired four (4!) different young PGs and don't seem to have a clear pecking order between them. Who starts at PG? Okobo? Harrison? Canaan? Melton? You can make a case for each. I don't like when McDo acquires so many guys at the same position, especially when they are of similar ages / experience levels, so it's unclear which one deserves to start.
I would be surprised if we start camp without a clear starting PG. But I guess the "fool me thrice" game with McD will always be surprising for me. Come on Ryan, do something that makes sense and find an engine for our team, even if it is simply a reliable 4 cylinder with 120k miles.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 am
I would be surprised if we start camp without a clear starting PG. But I guess the "fool me thrice" game with McD will always be surprising for me. Come on Ryan, do something that makes sense and find an engine for our team, even if it is simply a reliable 4 cylinder with 120k miles.
I feel pretty much the same way but it's getting pretty late in the day. Let's hope he surprises us.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Lets not get too worked up over the state of the roster yet. This is NOT our opening day roster. There'll be plenty of time to be upset during the season if we stink.

1. Canaan has a non-guaranteed contract. Including all of our non-gauranteed guys, we have 19 on the roster right now, so there will def be at least a small roster move before the season starts.

2. All reports over the entire summer indicate that McD is looking for a starting PG. A lot of posts sound like the poster thinks this is McD's ideal PG rotation, but we know that's not the case. Canaan/Harrison/Okobo/Melton is not the master plan. The Suns are looking for a PG, and if they follow the patter they set with the Houston forwards, they are going to get a guy one way or another, even if he isn't the right fit for the team.

For better or worse, I expect another move before training camp.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

Those depth charts look to be pretty updated.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Harrison and Canaan aren't exactly young, they are mid 20's, and one of them most likely will be cut as they're our non gauranteed contracts. Okobo is the PG prospect, melton is more of a combo guard. I don't really think it's an issue to have all of them right now, but it's also premature to assume this is our roster.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 am
Lets not get too worked up over the state of the roster yet. This is NOT our opening day roster. There'll be plenty of time to be upset during the season if we stink.

1. Canaan has a non-guaranteed contract. Including all of our non-gauranteed guys, we have 19 on the roster right now, so there will def be at least a small roster move before the season starts.

2. All reports over the entire summer indicate that McD is looking for a starting PG. A lot of posts sound like the poster thinks this is McD's ideal PG rotation, but we know that's not the case. Canaan/Harrison/Okobo/Melton is not the master plan. The Suns are looking for a PG, and if they follow the patter they set with the Houston forwards, they are going to get a guy one way or another, even if he isn't the right fit for the team.

For better or worse, I expect another move before training camp.
I think we have said that numerous times right before the season starts, only to be disappointed.