Suns Trade Dudley; Acquire Richaun Holmes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns Trade Dudley; Acquire Richaun Holmes

Post by JeremyG »

I would never want Tony Parker on the Suns, just because he’s Tony Parker lol.

I have no problem giving Knight one more year to prove whether he can be a good starting PG in this league. If not, then you can either trade his expiring contract next summer or stretch/waive him, which will create more cap space to upgrade at the PG position. I would go after someone like Ricky Rubio, with perhaps Okobo being able to take over eventually.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:50 pm
As for the mentor issues...I don't think the young guys need to be an exact replica of ariza for him to mentor them...and it turns out we do have a guy that's a pretty good replica in Bridges.
I agree that Bridges is the best match for Ariza in terms of overall skillset. My best case scenario for Ariza's year here is that he rubs off a bit on the young guys, shows them how to work hard, hustle to get open for a shot, play stifling defense, leading quietly by example. Maybe helps with the overall vibe in the locker room and effort level. I just really don't want to see young guys ride the bench while a guy who likely doesn't have a long-term future here takes all the PF minutes.
I think it might be good for the young guys to earn their minutes. Chriss and Bender had gauranteed minutes last year, regardless how they played. Now they have to play well to stay on the court...that's not a bad thing. If they're not good enough to warrant minutes, then good riddance, we can move on.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns Trade Dudley; Acquire Richaun Holmes

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
I think it might be good for the young guys to earn their minutes. Chriss and Bender had gauranteed minutes last year, regardless how they played. Now they have to play well to stay on the court...that's not a bad thing. If they're not good enough to warrant minutes, then good riddance, we can move on.
This is kind of where I'm at, Split. As much as I have enjoyed Bender Island I may be converting it to a timeshare soon.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Parker is waaaaaaaaaaaaaashed. Charlotte paid him $5M and should play Devonte Graham over him.

Superbone

Re: RE: Re: Suns Trade Dudley; Acquire Richaun Holmes

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:13 pm
Split T wrote:
This is kind of where I'm at, Split. As much as I have enjoyed Bender Island I may be converting it to a timeshare soon.
Yup, time to win. Booker deserves a better shot at it. Chriss and Bender got minutes they didn't deserve. I like the idea of guys toiling on the bench and working on their game in practice and getting spot minutes for now and then real minutes when they deserve them.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:03 pm
I'd have given the 15mil to Tony Parker, easily.
Gross
Tony Parker on the Suns. Pffff. 100% done. Would be worse than Mario Elie.

Anyway, about Ariza: over/under on his per36 stats this season. 11ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 35% 3pt, 1.5 stocks.

I am going to say under.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 am
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gross
Tony Parker on the Suns. Pffff. 100% done. Would be worse than Mario Elie.

Anyway, about Ariza: over/under on his per36 stats this season. 11ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 35% 3pt, 1.5 stocks.

I am going to say under.
is he going to be a day trader before games?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:09 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gross
Tony Parker on the Suns. Pffff. 100% done. Would be worse than M***o E**e.

I am going to say under.
Stocks is a fantasy basketball term for steals/blocks.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:09 pm
I would never want Tony Parker on the Suns, just because he’s Tony Parker lol.
How many Laker fans do you think have once said this about LeBron?

Indy

Post by Indy »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:14 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:09 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gross

I am going to say under.
Stocks is a fantasy basketball term for steals/blocks.
Thanks. The last time I played fantasy basketball was 2001. I am old.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gross

I am going to say under.
Per36? I'll take over...

For reference, the last time he was under 11 points per 36 was 2005. He's never had less than 1.5 steals per 36 or less than 4 rebounds per 36. Last year was the first year since 2006 he had less than 2 assists per 36.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:09 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Gross

I am going to say under.
Per36? I'll take over...

For reference, the last time he was under 11 points per 36 was 2005. He's never had less than 1.5 steals per 36 or less than 4 rebounds per 36. Last year was the first year since 2006 he had less than 2 assists per 36.
Solid logic. I am aware he's been better than those numbers, but I am also operating under the premise that his role and playing time will change from what he is used to over the last five years of his career. He will have to adapt. And there is a logjam. In terms of expectations, I want to be ready if he doesn't play up to his averages, but obviously I want him to play as better as possible for the Suns.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, I think his minutes will be down, but if it's per36, that shouldnt change his numbers. A lot depends on his role in the offense though, like you said. There's probably a good chance he doesn't get the assists, but rebounds and stocks seem pretty solid locks to me. Points and 3pt% are toss ups and probably go together. If he hits 3's at a high clip, he'll put up points.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you're trying to forecast how many 3s Trevor Ariza is going to hit, you need to think about the players around him. Part of why Ariza got so many good looks in Houston is because he had two excellent guards on the floor running the offense in Chris Paul and James Harden. The Suns don't have a single player on the roster who is good at distributing the ball or running an offense. I don't think Ariza is going to get nearly as many good looks from 3 this year as he got in the past, so I suspect his percentage and efficiency will go way down.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Does Ariza even finish the season with us?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:49 pm
If you're trying to forecast how many 3s Trevor Ariza is going to hit, you need to think about the players around him. Part of why Ariza got so many good looks in Houston is because he had two excellent guards on the floor running the offense in Chris Paul and James Harden. The Suns don't have a single player on the roster who is good at distributing the ball or running an offense. I don't think Ariza is going to get nearly as many good looks from 3 this year as he got in the past, so I suspect his percentage and efficiency will go way down.
It's not like he had a career year last year shooting 3's. Harden and CP3 help, but Booker/Ayton will draw a lot of attention. And it's not like hitting an open teammate in the corner or swinging it around the perimeter is a difficult play. You don't need to be Steve Nash to do it. Knight, Booker, Jackson, Bender, etc. will all be perfectly capable passing him the ball. Ayton also showed good ability to find people around the arc in summer league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:53 pm
He won't be an easy contract to trade. We'd need essentially an equally large expiring contract coming back.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Doesnt make a lot of sense to trade Ariza and his big ol expiring deal. I mean why sign him in the first place? He knows what he is getting into, thats why he got so much money to begin with.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:49 pm
Ariza is a player that has been very fortunate in terms of playing with playmakers...he’s played with the likes of Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul (in New Orleans too), John Wall, and James Harden to name a few.

Going from that to Brandon Knight must be quite terrifying for him.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:53 pm
Yes.