Suns Trade Dudley; Acquire Richaun Holmes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:32 am
We said we'd much rather have Reed/Harrison on the roster, we got it. Glad Reed is getting guaranteed.
Yep, I pretty much thought of Davon Reed when I heard the news. This is a move to free up a roster spot and I'm okay with it.
You shouldn't have to waste a second round pick to keep a couple of guys on minimal contracts.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Re: Suns Trade Dudley; Acquire Richaun Holmes

Post by specialsauce »

Second round picks are trash

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 pm
I agree. People tend to overvalue them entirely too much.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

n4th4n wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:39 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 am
Reed contract guaranteed and keeping Harrison.
I'm really happy to hear that. They both earned it from their SL play. I think we're going to have a solid and pretty deep team this year.
Deep yes, but they are all low- end talent. As in rotation guys 8-15 should all be 15th roster spot guys, not second or third off the bench.

Booker
Ayton
Bridges
Jackson
Warren
Ariza
Holmes
——————-NBA level talent floor

——————-Unproven guys that should be end of bench/situational
Shaq
Reed
Okobo
Peters
Daniels
King
————-TBD
Knight

————-R.I.P.
Tyson Chandler
Lol, I love that Bender and Chriss didn't even make it on the list.
Woops that was just an oversight, was boarding a plane but shows you what I think of either of them. Add em to R.I.P until proven otherwise lol

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
2 of the 7 players above your arbitrary talent floor were second rounders. And if you think Okobo is/will be trash, then you just don't know basketball safe for guys you see endorsing Sprite or some overpriced sneaker.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:
We said we'd much rather have Reed/Harrison on the roster, we got it. Glad Reed is getting guaranteed.
Yep, I pretty much thought of Davon Reed when I heard the news. This is a move to free up a roster spot and I'm okay with it.
You shouldn't have to waste a second round pick to keep a couple of guys on minimal contracts.
I can't argue with you there.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 pm
specialsauce wrote:
2 of the 7 players above your arbitrary talent floor were second rounders. And if you think Okobo is/will be trash, then you just don't know basketball safe for guys you see endorsing Sprite or some overpriced sneaker.
Yeah, and how many second round picks are out of the league within 2 years? Give me a break. A gamble with 90% odds of the house winning is not a gamble worth taking.

It’s not that I don’t like Okobo, I just don’t think he’s got the pedigree of Bridges or Ayton or Doncic to say that he’s proven. He’s a young guy with potential but who’s to say he’ll ever grow to be an nba level player? I have high hopes for him but he has to prove himself still.
Last edited by specialsauce on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm
specialsauce wrote:
I agree. People tend to overvalue them entirely too much.
Thank you.

The type of people that like second rounders are the type of people that play scratchers!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
ShelC wrote:
If you have a guy who you believe can actually play, sure you do. Chances are that second round pick won't.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:

In a perfect world, I agree with you that the best thing to do is to go back in time and not sign Dudley to that contract so that we don't need to spend a 2nd-rounder to evict him. But if you look at it from where we were right before the Dudley trade, we have this player making $10m/yr who isn't contributing, and we want to open the roster spot for a youngling. Isn't it a good trade to give up one second-round pick to free that salary, roster spot, and playing time for the young guys?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am
INFORMER wrote:

In a perfect world, I agree with you that the best thing to do is to go back in time and not sign Dudley to that contract so that we don't need to spend a 2nd-rounder to evict him. But if you look at it from where we were right before the Dudley trade, we have this player making $10m/yr who isn't contributing, and we want to open the roster spot for a youngling. Isn't it a good trade to give up one second-round pick to free that salary, roster spot, and playing time for the young guys?
This is one of the most important qualities of a good GM. He has to make the best decision in the moment and NOT be swayed by past decisions. For instance, you cannot hang on to your number 4 pick and hope if you KNOW you have a better player (who happened to be picked in the second round) there to take his spot. You have to swallow your pride, forget past mistakes, and make the right decision now.

Actually, some fans have a harder time with this than team execs. Fans get emotionally invested in and pin their hopes to high picks. GM's cannot afford to do that. As soon as that player is drafted, you have to forget about where he was drafted and evaluate him for what he is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Uh, oh. Here we go again. "ready to show a team what their missing" Not a good look for Boston College and San Diego schools.

https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/1020526962819776518

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why didn't we keep Big Sauce, again?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 pm
5m
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Richaun is probably at least as good — on the court, at least. Few can match Williams on the sidelines.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:58 pm
I wish we could’ve traded Daniels for just cap space to a team that needed a shooter so we can free up the $ for big sauce.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I liked Big Sauce, but he wasn't gonna play...I hope he can find somewhere to get minutes

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 pm
I liked Big Sauce, but he wasn't gonna play...I hope he can find somewhere to get minutes
He could’ve been our backup center once we trade Tyson at the trade deadline.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 pm
He could’ve been our backup center once we trade Tyson at the trade deadline.
Richaun can do a similar job at a lower cost. I’ll miss Williams, but I’m okay with the way it worked out for the team.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

No room for sentimental roster spots. He’s a third string center honestly, and 5 million for that is way too much. And before anyone replies with “I’d rather have him than Tyson,” if that’s your argument, you’ve let the Suns brainwash you. Tyson shouldn’t be taking up a roster spot either.