Alex Len Signs 2 year, 8.5M contract with Atlanta Hawks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Alex Len Signs 2 year, 8.5M contract with Atlanta Hawks

Post by Superbone »

I figured after five years with the Suns, Len at least deserves a thread where we can talk about his time here. I wish the best for him but he just couldn't live up to the hype of the 5th pick of the first round. However, it's not his fault that we picked him 5th. McD missed on this one and it therefore set us back a bit.

It appears that he will serve as the back up center for the Hawks. Here's an article that thinks he may be able to thrive in this role with the pressure of being the 5th pick gone:

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/2 ... ree-agency
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: Alex Len Signs 2 year, 8.5M contract with Atlanta Hawks

Post by Mori Chu »

Len is probably a "third team" guy. I heard that term the other day. He'll probably learn a bunch playing on the Hawks, and recalibrate himself in terms of how good he is, feeling entitled to a starting role / minutes / big contract, etc. And then right about the time that he starts to really click, he'll finish his contract and go to a third team and finally be a meaningful contributor.

I think Len was a bit underrated here on this site and by Suns fans overall. He wasn't a great center, and he probably wasn't worth what he was asking for to stay here. And he didn't really fit going forward with Ayton on the roster. But I do think he could have been a serviceable starting NBA center if we had a good PG who could run the offense, big men coaches who could have taught him what to do, etc. He just looked like nobody was teaching him.

I still think he will have a good career. We tend to give up on talented big men when they are still young. If you draft these guys after 1 year of NCAA, they need a lot of years of learning before they can do it at this level.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Underrated???? Most people here wanted to sign him to a deal at 10-12 million per year.

Quite opposite, he was and continues to be incredibly overrated here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we just have two extremes when it comes to Len...we have the pro Len crowd who thought he was worth paying 10 million and the anti Len crowd who didn't want him for the minimum...I was in the latter group and there was a few of us. That's probably what Mori is talking about...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:50 pm
However, it's not his fault that we picked him 5th. McD missed on this one and it therefore set us back a bit.
The only guys McD missed on with that pick are Giannis and Gobert. A lot of teams missed on those guys.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:55 pm
Superbone wrote:
However, it's not his fault that we picked him 5th. McD missed on this one and it therefore set us back a bit.
The only guys McD missed on with that pick are Giannis and Gobert. A lot of teams missed on those guys.
I'd add McCollum and Adams to that list

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:11 pm
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yes, you’re right.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:30 pm
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yes, you’re right.
Still, all would have been seen as pretty big reaches at 5.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:47 pm
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yes, you’re right.
And now? Genius. Which outcome is preferable?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:

Yes, you’re right.
And now? Genius. Which outcome is preferable?
Well if you can pick out the steals, then that's preferable... My point is no one thought those guys would be this good... You'd have to do some guessing... And in that case you might end up with Sergey karasev at #5...

Just look the Cavs that year.. They tried to get clever and ended up with Anthony Bennett at 1

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yes, you’re right.
Yeah, I agree better with Split. If we can re do draft taking into account the out-nowhere stars, and high risk guys that panned out, we lose perspective. Nobody would have projected Giannis on the place he is right now, even then he was seen as a swing for the fences... and sometimes you connect, sometimes you take Alex Len.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Good for both sides to move on. I can't place 100% blame on Len. This franchise was at it's peak ineptness when he came aboard. I wish him the best.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Trae Young will make him look good. In all his time here, he never played with a PG that got him those 6-8 easy points per game that would have made him look a lot better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:15 pm
Trae Young will make him look good. In all his time here, he never played with a PG that got him those 6-8 easy points per game that would have made him look a lot better.
Agreed. His time here coincides with the lowest point of the franchise. Some of that is certainly attributable to him, but the place was burning all around him too.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I had a lot of hopes in Len. He would have a great game and then a dud of a game. He did improve over time and I think he is a decent Center now. I felt Len was ready to step into the starters position and then we got Chandler and made him the starter. I’m not sure how that affected Len’s game or attitude. I would have been a little upset if I was Len at the time. Oh well, we now have Ayton and are starting a new chapter. Ayton will hopefully turn into a beast and we will forget all about the years wasted on Len.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:37 am
I had a lot of hopes in Len. He would have a great game and then a dud of a game. He did improve over time and I think he is a decent Center now. I felt Len was ready to step into the starters position and then we got Chandler and made him the starter. I’m not sure how that affected Len’s game or attitude. I would have been a little upset if I was Len at the time. Oh well, we now have Ayton and are starting a new chapter. Ayton will hopefully turn into a beast and we will forget all about the years wasted on Len.
I hope you're right on the last part. Len got stuck in between the Suns wanting to lose, but not losing and then clear tanking but poor coaching. I also had high hopes for him. He never showed the athleticism I thought he had coming out of college, nor the midrange shot. His hands were suspect, but didn't realize that when he was coming out, as I thought he just had terrible guards. Perhaps they didn't throw him the ball for a reason, haha.

Too bad the Suns didn't use their 2 first round picks to take Giannis and Gobert, plus future assets.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Len had terrible hands to start with and even if he managed to catch the ball in the post it would usually end up in a turnover after they stripped him. He finally started to keep the ball above his head more ofter which yielded better results. Also the Suns kind of sucked at getting the ball to him where he could make an impact.

Your right, we were trying to lose as well at times. I am not going to play the could of should of game with picks. Nobody ever really knows how a pick is going to turn out. Top picks can turn into duds and lower picks can turn into diamonds. You just don’t know until they play in the NBA for awhile. Sometimes they blossom the first year. Sometimes it takes several years before it clicks on. Sometimes they get hurt. Sometimes they just don’t pan out. Calling it a Lottery is a good name.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Comparing Len to Giannis and Gobert is definitely a hindsight 20/20 situation, but how many on this board wish we took Noel instead, given hindsight, as that was a legit possibility back then? Just out of curiosity.

To me Noel is more impactful on the court when his head is right, but I guess with the whole Watson experiment it might have been difficult to get his head right here. Personally I sill think we could've built up Noel's value more than we did with Len and could've at least turned him into something had we not liked where the off the court situation was going.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

pickle wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:35 am
Comparing Len to Giannis and Gobert is definitely a hindsight 20/20 situation, but how many on this board wish we took Noel instead, given hindsight, as that was a legit possibility back then? Just out of curiosity.

To me Noel is more impactful on the court when his head is right, but I guess with the whole Watson experiment it might have been difficult to get his head right here. Personally I sill think we could've built up Noel's value more than we did with Len and could've at least turned him into something had we not liked where the off the court situation was going.
The coaching staffs that we have haven't been able to do much with Len or Bender or Chriss so I don't see any evidence that they could have done anything with Noel.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I did want Noel at the time, and I'd take him over Len right now, but neither really panned out, so I'm not going to fret over it.